Photo contest

Saxophones New to the Sax Universe

ragc

OK, I have no place amongst you, but will do my best to fit: I am, primarily, a tinkerer. Also an ex-rock bassist, amateur guitarrist (for over 50 years!), occasional luthier (I build Puerto Rican cuatro guitars, ukuleles and U-basses), and, in my youth, a school band trumpetist. I love jazz, so I love saxophone music. I just cannot fathom, at 64, trying to learn what the intricate web of keys and plumbing fixtures in my alto sax do..

So I found this Evette (no model) say in a junk store in the US at a really low price, and in what looks to me decent condition. The pads seem all good, all the keys operate some lid, the cork holds the mouthpiece tightly... It has no reed, or the device that holds the reed, so I ordered them from Amazon. Until then I have no idea of how the sound is, but I paid so little for it (&60.00 US) that I think just the exploration is worth it. I need to thoroughly clean and polish it and it just may allow me to make some noise and disturb my neighbors...

In trying to find out what I have I have been searching the web. Most of what I see is that this model-less, Italian Evette Alto (which I determined it is by asking my wife, who used to play in her school band) is an evil, wortless, student grade, deceitful and base, common, plebeian, awful student instrument that will only bring me sadness and trouble. Many seem like they would pay what I paid just NOT to have one. In an old post here I learned it was made by Alfredo Santoni for Buffet (and that name is always followed by "ahs! and yes!s) and is a mix of Model SD and SDA parts, whatever that means... Because it's the most information I was able to find in one place I joined... you guys must be the most compassionate, less insulting, which I will need when I post the photos of the sax.

What I'd like is anything I can find out, and advice that I can receive on reconditioning, and some patience, knowing that the instrument will probably never ever be heard in public so there should not be a concern I might endanger the world with such a blunt, wortless instrument... I do appreciate any information you can provide, and I am happy to join you all. Now all I have to do is figure out how to post photos...

Evette Alto, stamped "Italy" and serial no. 51338
39309637_10215600132530204_3829574127388196864_o.jpg

Yes, it's a Santoni. Great saxes. You'll be surprised. Not Yanagisawa, but good. Great sound and I prefer the tone of mine to the Yani sound.

On the keys, think of them as a guitar string. But you have to press down all the frets above the note you're playing.

Get a tech to sort it out. You'll be surprised.

Great! Thank you! Gave it a good cleaning. One of the springs was out of its groove (bottom of the three right hand keys that are baffed together) and thw pad for the small valve closest to the mouthpiece,on top, was not sealing.. Have not given it a light leag test but suspect more leaks; can only play two notes... this is how I have fun, so it’s cool!

It cleaned up well. Doing the detailing I did find three pads missing: the tiny one on top of the mouthpiece tube, and two of the three palm key vales for the top hand. No wonder I've only been able to blow two notes! I am changing all the pads, just in case, possibly some of the springs too, if I figure how to pull them out.

IMG_4911.JPG

Thanks, guys! I am going to look into it. Interesting that, from what I read online, re-padding is, apparently, only done using heat-setting glues. Guitars used to be built the same way, but not anymore: modern glues are used now... A contemporary book may be very helpful.

Heat setting is misleading. Glues which melt is better. Shellac has been mostly replaced with the type of hot melt glue used in glue guns.

Most of what I read still recommends shellac. It is interesting that in wood instrument building the red colored water based (but waterproof after setting ) glues are used, such as Titebond III. These glues are softened by applying heat, but go in without it, making the process of building simpler...

We've had some discussions here, one a few days back. My feeling is that it doesn't matter, the characteristics of each are different, so you need to learn both. I usually use what the sax maker used. I've seen a few where they've used Kitt, sealing wax.

Back
Top Bottom