Photo contest

Mouthpieces Mouthpiece GAS -Alto

Cork sanding done -I hope I've got the right balance so I can still play the Yamaha but don't feel like I'm going to bend or break something forcing on the smaller metal mouthpieces.

I decided to employ a mix of techniques from watching a few videos:

Cleaned the cork with lighter fluid to remove as much grease as possible

I removed the crook key and wrapped painters tape around the neck adjacent to the cork to protect the finish.

Then, I fitted the neck to the sax and lay it it in the case, I then cut two strips of sandpaper 2cm wide (P180 and P400 grit). I then used a flossing action with the sandpaper and kept wiping off the dust and test fitting mouthpieces. P180 took the cork down very quickly, then P400 grit to smooth. I'd probably have preferred a finer start like say P240, but it's what I've got.

I then put on a surgical glove and massaged cork grease in with my fingers and left it. I use D'addario All Natural Cork Grease which is very soft and extremely slippery compared to normal cork grease (like the regular Rico) it also has a strange property where it seems to vanish. I don't know if there's is a good thing or a bad thing.

Watching Stephen Howard recently -he uses silicone grease that looks like the stuff plumbers use on plastic pipework.

The Bancher has an extremely thin tip rail so reed placement needs to be absolutely exact which is a little tricky as the mouthpiece has protective tape on it that I can't remove if plan to return it. I've wrapped some painters tape over the plastic to help stop the ligature sliding around.

Still nothing from Sax.co.uk so have given up chasing for a definite answer. However Thomman have confirmed I can return inside of 30 days if I don't like it so have ordered the Theo Wanne Lakshmi from them.

So far the Jody Jazz DV NY is out in front. I'm warming to the Brancher, and ultimately it may be the more flexible but I might not be the best player for it. The JJ is so laid back and easy going.

I'm really liking the 0.076 WCW 64 that I just picked up. Feels like a slightly bolder, edgier piece with a classic Meyer core. Richer tone than a Jazz Select 6 and more easily controllable than my Burnin' 6. Let's me put out a good amount of volume without breaking the tonal profile. Hard to beat for $110. The WCW 56 is closer to a classic Meyer for that early West Coast Cool sound.

I'm really liking the 0.076 WCW 64 that I just picked up. Feels like a slightly bolder, edgier piece with a classic Meyer core. Richer tone than a Jazz Select 6 and more easily controllable than my Burnin' 6. Let's me put out a good amount of volume without breaking the tonal profile. Hard to beat for $110. The WCW 56 is closer to a classic Meyer for that early West Coast Cool sound.
Thanks, bobdrew, I always like to hear about new m/p's and your report is nice and focused on what matters. So, 76 though is roundabout a 5* in alto, and good to hear that it's got plenty of volume and edge (that actually doesn't sacrifive tone if you know what you're doing). One question; is this the polymer model?

Last edited:
Thanks, bobdrew, I always like to hear about new m/p's and your report is nice and focused on what matters. So, 76 though is roundabout a 5* in alto, and good to hear that it's got plenty of volume and edge (that actually doesn't sacrifive tone if you know what you're doing). One question; is this the polymer model?

Hey, glad to help. I have the polymer model. More weight to it than a SYOS piece, feels solid. Also, I think the 0.076 tip puts it even with a Meyer 6mm, which I used to play on back in the day.

Back
Top Bottom