Photo contest

Ligatures ligature screw. Top or bottom.

johnny b.

Hi there, newby question. I am using BG single screw , leatherette ligature

on Selmer S80 C*. I have been busy practicing, then all of a sudden i noticed

the position of some ligatures on utube. I always assumed with the BG that

the correct position of screw was on top of the mouthpiece. I rotated the lig

so screw was on the bottom against the reed. It seemed to accomodate the

reed ok and the sound was ok. Any hints much appreciated.

Regards Johnny B.

p.s. I have just ordered a PPT mouthpiece with accompanying lig. Which way

are they positioned ?

The bars can be removed from a textile ligature to accomodate the screw being either side. Any ligature can be reversed/rotated.

I prefer the bars on the reed. Try it both ways and different positions to see which you prefer. (This applies to many things in life)

Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to make sure I was using it correctly. The reed

seems to be held more securely with the bars against the reed so I will go down that

road. reversed/rotated, try it both ways, different positions. Interesting reply Bear.

cheers JB.

Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to make sure I was using it correctly. The reed

seems to be held more securely with the bars against the reed so I will go down that

road. reversed/rotated, try it both ways, different positions. Interesting reply Bear.

cheers JB.

Now I always set it up the other way :) just shows that it doesn't really matter so long as its doing the job for you..

From my Rovner fabric lig leaflet.

The thumbscrew on the top of the lg with the thumbscrew on the right. You can cock the lig so that the edge of the fabric touches the reed nearer the tip or heel of the reed. This "will result in large differences in performance and should be given repeated experimentation"
You can also install the lig inverted with the ends over the reed but it says to reassemble the lig so that the thumbscrew is on the right.
Hope that helps (to confuse more!)

I also use a material reed with the bars touching the reed and find the sound is livelier. I also think that the convential position makes the mouthpiece set up look like a duck - a bit naff, and seriously uncool. I never use material ligs now - much prefer Marc Jean ligatures on all my saxes, as the sound is at its most resonant!

Kind regards
Tom

cheers JB.

I have a BG super revelation on all 3 of my saxes. With those you have no choice, the screw goes on top of the mouthpiece, as the gold ridges go against the reed.

Back
Top Bottom