Photo contest

Having a sax serviced

I thought Griff worked at Justflutes? The guys at Sax.co.uk in Crowborough are very good - led by Colin Jones, who has a good reputation around here - used to work out of a shop in Horsham I think, before that. I had a set-up by a young lady there called Amy who did a really good job. I usually take my instruments to Sue Redsull in Mitcham who is very experienced and very 'reasonable'. I had been playing 3 or 4 years before I discovered her and my eyes and ears were opened to how a saxophone SHOULD play (given that new Selmers and Keilwerths generally barely work at all until set up). It is a pain having to organise a service from time to time, but I wouldn't do without it. Otherwise, buy a Yamaha or Yanagisawa - as a rule, I've found they work perfectly out of the box and rarely need any attention.......

Odd question, I just received a beat-up The Martin Baritone, and I found a bullet hole with the exit being right above the low Bb tone hole. How much would a patch for this be at a reasonable price? Any tips on a possible home fix?

Odd question, I just received a beat-up The Martin Baritone, and I found a bullet hole with the exit being right above the low Bb tone hole. How much would a patch for this be at a reasonable price? Any tips on a possible home fix?

Seeing as your bari has been "shot" then you may need to use this:

http://www.waproducts.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=D41186

To patch it assuming its a small hole and it wasnt hit by a howitzer round , then I would charge around £20 per patch.

A quick DIY fix just put some gaffer tape over the hole.

got any pictures of said war wounds?

O.G there's no such thing as an ex Marine only Former serving Marines. Once a Marine always a Marine!
Oh and I keep in reserve, the more delicate non diplomatic skills honed over 22 years as a Commando, for the rare occasions I get really nauseatingly obnoxiously rude customers who dont value the worth of their technician.

Last edited by a moderator:
O.G there's no such thing as an ex Marine only Former serving Marines. Once a Marine always a Marine!
Oh and I keep in reserve, the more delicate non diplomatic skills honed over 22 years as a Commando, for the rare occasions I get really nauseatingly obnoxiously rude customers who dont value the worth of their technician.

Mmmmm! Squeak! OMG!
We, who used to work for the Company at Cheltenham suffer exactly the same problems, can't stop listening to radio signals.

Have a nice Chrissy for 2010 and the next five years, as after a threat like that, might have to use Rockbottom instead of Jonnies. ;}

Well I've never been nauseatingly obnoxiously rude to Griff, so when I ask him (nicely of course) to service my sax in January I guess you won't be coming along for lunch Bill.....? Rockbottom's a guitar/drums sort of shop anyway!
YC