Photo contest

George Coleman - "Live at Yoshi's"

Andy Geiger

George Coleman is one of my favorite players on the tenor. Tone, time and ideas. An influence on many players, including John Coltrane according to some. In 1987 he recorded at Yoshi's in Oakland, California with a splendid quartet including Harold Mabern on piano, Ray Drummond on bass, and Alvin Queen on drums. I am working on Mal Waldron's "Soul Eyes", and a couple of days ago looked on my iPod for versions and there it was on the Coleman at Yoshi's album. 17 minutes of majestic playing, tender, soaring and soulful.

Harold Mabern is on Eric Alexander's "Chicago Fire" album, as well as several others, and is an important mentor to Eric. One can hear the George Coleman influence on Alexander's playing.

I have been so motivated by George Coleman, especially on the Yoshi's collection, I want to tell about it, and would be interested in others' thoughts.

GC is one of my favourites, his tone has been an aspiration for me and whenever I can't motivate myself listening to one of his albums is always a great way back...

My Horns of Plenty is my all time favourite...

A

GC is one of my favourites, his tone has been an aspiration for me and whenever I can't motivate myself listening to one of his albums is always a great way back...

My Horns of Plenty is my all time favourite...

A
Great album also, I agree! Check out Eastern Rebellion album with GC, Cedar Walton, Sam Jones, and Billy Higgins. "Bolivia", "Naima", etc. Killer! Glad to meet another GC fan!

I've found this transcription of GC - this solo is just killer - lot's of great ideas over the changes and at a ridiculous tempo. Lot's of stuff to learn from this solo!

http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2014/12/great-transcription-of-george-coleman-over-cherokee-changes/

hers's a link to the tune - sit back and take deep breath !!

http://grooveshark.com/#!/search/song?q=George Coleman Apache Dance

This solo is killer, had a look at it yesterday, it's just unbelievable...
I just love Big G, the sessions with Chet Baker are amazing, too.

Back
Top Bottom