PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Advice on buying Curved Bell Soprano as a long-term horn

NataliesDadMark

Café Supporter
Hi, I'm a new member. I've read the other threads about curved bell sopranos. I'm shopping for my daughter and could use advice and a reality check. She plays tenor (a Yamaha), Alto (Buffet Dynaction which is a great horn) and I bought her a cheap "Venus" curved soprano over the pandemic. I hear her practicing on all the horns but I have to say she plays most freely and improvises best on the little soprano. She says it feels like a toy and she could play it while she falls asleep it's so easy. I did get her a Meyer mouthpiece for it which made it sound vastly better and she plays with Rico Royal 3.5 and 4 reeds. To get to the point, she's going to get a degree in music at college and is embarrassed to bring the Venus horn - it's been great for her to try Soprano but she wants a quality horn. Curved sopranos are not cheap as you all know. I'm wondering what you all advise. At this point I've looked at Mauriat system 76, which go for about $3000, Rampone and Cazzani R1, almost $5000, and Yanagisawa SCWO10, about $6500. These are new prices, and expensive but I'm looking at it as a life-long investment. A lot of what I've found by googling peoples' opinions seems to favor Yanagisawa. Your thoughts? Thanks, Mark

I think most people would call this style just "curved soprano" rather than "curved bell" which made me think of the "saxello - style" sopranos which have curved neck and bell but no bow.

My favourite two sopranos are my R&C Saxello style in gold plate and my Yanagisawa SC991. Both have excellent ergonomics, very good tuning and sound good. The SC991 is a bit like a little alto and the R&C has a lot of flair and a big sound too.

Both of these I bought used but in "as new" condition, so I would suggest that you consider that too. But be careful and take advice on any particular used instrument if you don't know what you are doing.

Good luck

Rhys

I agree, I think you may mean curved, ie like a small alto. You can also get "tipped bell" sopranos which is basically a straight soprano with the bell just pointed a bit forward. The are less toy like, and the Rampone especially has a bit of resistance which she may like.

Having said that, it is something so dependent on what the players like, not something to buy here as a surprise as she may not like one vs the other but not want to say so.

Me? I'd go for an R & C tipped bell but Mauriat also very good.

top-2003-jag.png

I have both kinds, and like them both, but I mostly play my one-piece bent neck (but otherwise straight) soprano (Viking brand, a now defunct Taiwanese horn) these days. My curved is a Yanagisawa SC-991.

The advantages to a curved soprano are that it’s easier to hear, and easier to put a microphone near. It’s very good in a saxophone section, as the other players can hear it more easily. I played an old Buescher curved soprano in big bands and small groups for many years when I was younger, it was just fine.

The disadvantages are that it’s cramped when playing, and they are more resistant generally than straight horns. A further disadvantage is that on modern instruments the neck is removable, and this joint is so small that it’s easy to get out of alignment and leak. (This can also be a disadvantage on straight instruments, many of which come with two necks these days.)

My wife likes the sound of the curved horn better for some reason. Maybe I just play it more softly as it’s closer to my ears…

Follow up - FWIW, if you buy a curved soprano get the Yanagisawa. If you buy a straight one, also get a Yanagisawa. The one exception to that might be to get a Yamaha YSS-82ZR - this is a one piece with a bent neck, and they are fabulous. When I bought my Yani, these were not out yet, if they had been it might have been a tossup for me.

But Yanagisawa sopranos are head and shoulders above every other soprano on the market. My opinion, of course, but I think it’s a good one and I am not alone in this. Second best is Yamaha, who don’t make a curved one.

I have a couple of cents too. A few years ago I needed a soprano for a tour and bought the Yani 901.
Very nicely put together. Hated it. Found the sound small and tight. Very unlike two altos that I owned previously: an A800 Elimona and a 991. Very good horns.
Sold the Yani and got a series 2 Selmer which is harder to play initially but if in practice it sings beautifully.

As my signature shows, I’m a strong advocated of established brands and manufacturers.
Did I read long term in the post title ?
Curved soprano ? Yanagisawa. Period.
Mine is from 1994, I bought it used in 1996. It hasn’t yet received a full overhaul. This thingy is amazingly well made.
A curvy does sound a bit harsh from the player’s side. A good thing though, it makes you more aware of the challenge you might be imposing on the audience. (As we used to say as I worked at a software giant, « eat your own dog food »…).

Last edited:
Another fan of Yanagisawa, best sops going for me, I have had my curved Yani SC 901 left sided bell keys for over 25 years, I gig with it regularly and it still looks like new and plays amazing.
They aren't cheap but once you bought one, you will never need another.

I have a Yani SC-991. The thing I like the most is that it plays in tune, which many sops don't. Fully recommend Yanagisawa for a sop. All the way.
I also find it mouthpiece friendly.

For straight, I have a JK IV ST90. It's fine for the odd blast.

I'm playing a Yani Tenor and Baritone, and have owned lots of Yani Altos, Sopranos.
Of course thumbs up for the Yani Soprano, although it's not the only playable und durable horn on the market.
I have a Schagerl (a store located near my hometown) labeled curved sop, which is made by Green Hill.
5 years of playing it now, and not one single problem and sounds absolutely fine.
What I don't like with Taiwanese horns is for me least noticeable no Sopranos.
It's now € 2190,- new.
The advantages, for me, of a curved soprano is being able to hang it on a sling to play and it's compact portability.
Micing it too.

Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-28 um 10.29.12.jpg

Last edited:
I've been very impressed with the Jupiter JPS 749-547 I picked up on eBay.
I read Mr Howard's review and took the plunge.

One piece straight, plays in tune, didn't break the bank. Sounds great and not too heavy on the RH thumb.

I thought the daft comments, when playing the curved would stop.

I get a whole new world of daftness now. "Is that a golden clarinet?" is the latest. 🙄