Tutorials
Shop
Supporting special needs music education since 2008
About
Forum guide
Rules
Support the Café fundraising
Mailing
Pete Thomas music
Biog
Discussion
Forum sections
Start a discussion
Articles
Timezones
Articles
Articles on CafeSaxophone
Articles on Taming The Saxophone
Shop
NEW
All new posts (unfiltered)
Latest activity
Social Feed
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Search
Search titles only
Note
By:
Forum sections
Start a discussion
Articles
Timezones
Menu
Log in
Register
How to install the app
How to install the app on iOS
NB: For Safari start at step 2
(Firefox only) Tap on the hamburger menu at bottom right
Tap on the share icon
(bottom of page)
Scroll down and tap on
Add to Home Screen:
Note:
This feature may not be available in some browsers.
New!
Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon:
. You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.
Discussion
🎷 Main Discussion sections🎷
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Late starters, gas and progress
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Allophone" data-source="post: 559317" data-attributes="member: 9913"><p>Yes - this is spot on good advice --</p><p>Consistency in mouth position, breath support, throat conformation, reed placement - everything I can think of - trying to do it "the same way". </p><p>I am trying to "isolate" the issue (as you said) and pay close attention. </p><p>I just wondered if other beginners had these issues.</p><p>Sometimes I practice with just the mouthpiece or just the mouthpiece and the neck and it seems that the pitch I get there can be quite variable.</p><p>Especially with mouthpiece plus neck alone.</p><p>So I was thinking that maybe the more "open hole" notes on the sax might be more sensitive to problems with intonation and timbre - just like when playing the neck alone.</p><p></p><p>Meanwhile - When doing scales I often throw in accidentals so I do wander outside of the strict major scale at times - sorry if I gave a wrong impression.</p><p>The idea of the drone tones giving a constant reference is very good as it could be the case that I slowly go a little sharp over the practice period until it becomes blatantly noticeable at some point and so I "hear" a bad note but really the notes have all been getting a wee bit bad all throughout the session.</p><p>Your suggestion on "Extending the scale" is also very good. I agree 100% - </p><p>Still working on those palm keys.</p><p>Also as regards specifics --- </p><p>Specifically - when I play chromatic scales starting on Low C on tenor and going not a full two octaves but up to around G - so octave and a fifth (i may need a fifth soon) - there is no problem ---But when I play a chromatic scale starting on the F up to the same G, then the D flat sounds weak and typically flat - like really flat. Which seems odd.</p><p>I thought that flat intonation was with a more relaxed embouchure.</p><p> But as a beginner plays (or so I have been instructed) and becomes fatigued, then the tendency for the tired beginner is to pinch and make intonation go sharp - ? </p><p>Now I don't know --- </p><p>Did the D flat really go flat or did the F through C all go sharp?</p><p>Driving me nuts - and by the way if I just keep playing that problem note, I can eventually fix it - but you can not do that in an ensemble or in a lyrical solo - sounds terrible.</p><p>So I am resolved to work with your drone tones, and expanded scales, and try to see what on earth I am doing to cause this - because if the notes sound fine on Monday but smelly on Tuesday stinky on Wednesday but great on Thursday - Then it is the player and not the machine.</p><p>Also I did a little internet search just asking: "What are the most difficult notes to play on a tenor sax?" >>>>> And the mid range B, C, and D flat did not make the list at all!!! And these are the buggers for me. So - focus - practice - isolate - drone tones - extended scales.</p><p>Thanks for the suggestions - truly - and hope my tone will become clearer than my questions - ;-)</p><p>PS you sound great on the drone tone example - nice!</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Allophone, post: 559317, member: 9913"] Yes - this is spot on good advice -- Consistency in mouth position, breath support, throat conformation, reed placement - everything I can think of - trying to do it "the same way". I am trying to "isolate" the issue (as you said) and pay close attention. I just wondered if other beginners had these issues. Sometimes I practice with just the mouthpiece or just the mouthpiece and the neck and it seems that the pitch I get there can be quite variable. Especially with mouthpiece plus neck alone. So I was thinking that maybe the more "open hole" notes on the sax might be more sensitive to problems with intonation and timbre - just like when playing the neck alone. Meanwhile - When doing scales I often throw in accidentals so I do wander outside of the strict major scale at times - sorry if I gave a wrong impression. The idea of the drone tones giving a constant reference is very good as it could be the case that I slowly go a little sharp over the practice period until it becomes blatantly noticeable at some point and so I "hear" a bad note but really the notes have all been getting a wee bit bad all throughout the session. Your suggestion on "Extending the scale" is also very good. I agree 100% - Still working on those palm keys. Also as regards specifics --- Specifically - when I play chromatic scales starting on Low C on tenor and going not a full two octaves but up to around G - so octave and a fifth (i may need a fifth soon) - there is no problem ---But when I play a chromatic scale starting on the F up to the same G, then the D flat sounds weak and typically flat - like really flat. Which seems odd. I thought that flat intonation was with a more relaxed embouchure. But as a beginner plays (or so I have been instructed) and becomes fatigued, then the tendency for the tired beginner is to pinch and make intonation go sharp - ? Now I don't know --- Did the D flat really go flat or did the F through C all go sharp? Driving me nuts - and by the way if I just keep playing that problem note, I can eventually fix it - but you can not do that in an ensemble or in a lyrical solo - sounds terrible. So I am resolved to work with your drone tones, and expanded scales, and try to see what on earth I am doing to cause this - because if the notes sound fine on Monday but smelly on Tuesday stinky on Wednesday but great on Thursday - Then it is the player and not the machine. Also I did a little internet search just asking: "What are the most difficult notes to play on a tenor sax?" >>>>> And the mid range B, C, and D flat did not make the list at all!!! And these are the buggers for me. So - focus - practice - isolate - drone tones - extended scales. Thanks for the suggestions - truly - and hope my tone will become clearer than my questions - ;-) PS you sound great on the drone tone example - nice! [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Post reply
Join us in the Cafe!
Contact mods
Follow us:
Member Blogs (currently active)
Saxophones
Pork Tales: Saxophone Repair DIY Adventures.
Started by PigSquealer
May 22, 2025
Replies: 1K
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Blog
Tenor Viol's musings
Started by Tenor Viol
Oct 22, 2016
Replies: 2K
Breakfastroom (chat and relax...)
Blog
Mike's musings
Started by MikeMorrell
Sep 5, 2024
Replies: 274
Breakfastroom (chat and relax...)
Trending
Daily Check In
Jeanette
Apr 21, 2024
Replies: 3K
Is AI taking over!
mikaheik
Sep 12, 2025
Replies: 637
C Melody Saxophones
Andy Hornblower
Aug 19, 2015
Replies: 661
Pork Tales: Saxophone Repair DIY Adventures.
PigSquealer
May 22, 2025
Replies: 1K
Today's Weather & Wild Temperature Swings
Tenor Viol
Dec 10, 2014
Replies: 1K
watches
aldevis
Apr 29, 2012
Replies: 854
S
What are you listening to (plus reviews)
suethesax
Nov 18, 2007
Replies: 3K
Selmer Supreme alto (quick look)
Stephen Howard
Thursday at 12:21 PM
Replies: 54
The Official Off Topic Thread.
PigSquealer
Aug 4, 2025
Replies: 802
US/UK linguistics - different words and spelling
Ivan
Oct 2, 2014
Replies: 162
Popular Discussions on the Café
Saxophones
Carrying a tenor on a (motor)bike?
Started by Jay
Jul 4, 2015
Replies: 761
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Saxophones
C Melody Saxophones
Started by Andy Hornblower
Aug 19, 2015
Replies: 661
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Jazz
Music for Night Owls
Started by saxplorer
Mar 5, 2015
Replies: 466
Great music and favourite Videos
Playing the saxophone
The Cafe Trio grown to Octet down to Sextet
Started by trimmy
Feb 15, 2015
Replies: 844
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Saxophones
How will Tariffs affect Sax Prices?
Started by Ivan
Apr 4, 2025
Replies: 462
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Great Players
Who sparked your love of Sax music
Started by jools
Apr 2, 2008
Replies: 619
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Playing the saxophone
Learn to play by ear or by reading music
Started by Taz
Feb 16, 2016
Replies: 1K
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Tech/maintenance
My new "DIY" pads...
Started by DavidUK
Jan 12, 2022
Replies: 393
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Theory & Impro
Do we really need theory?
Started by jbtsax
Feb 18, 2016
Replies: 497
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
6
Misc Reviews
Yamaha YDS-150 Wind Synth
Started by Acc6441
Oct 22, 2020
Replies: 301
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Playing the saxophone
Learning to Read v Playing by ear
Started by BigMartin
Aug 19, 2015
Replies: 505
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Featured Classifieds
Inderbinen Tenor for Sale
for sale - Phil-tone Isotope tenor mouthpiece, 8*
for sale - PPT 8* tenor mouthpiece
10m fan celebration tenor H/R
1930 Selmer New Large Bore Tenor Saxophone #13895
isolo prime wireless mic with effects box
Selmer Alto Shortshank C* refaced to Meyer 6m by Ed Pillinger
H N White King Cleveland Curved Soprano Saxophone
1937 Martin Committee
Re faced Otto link NY
Whole load of grrrreat books & playalongs - fire sale
Straight soprano case for sale
Harry Hartmann Fiberreed for tenor - used once and disinfected
That Moaning Saxophone - Bruce Vermazen
AKG C12VR microphone
Tenor Sax Mouthpieces for sale
Latest Song of the Month
SOTM
SotM September 2026 - Autumn Leaves
Started by mrblackbat
Sep 1, 2026
Replies: 20
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM August 2026 - Creep
Started by atwl77
Jul 31, 2026
Replies: 13
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
and Play by ear July 2026
Started by Wade Cornell
Jun 30, 2026
Replies: 21
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM June 2026 "And You Just Smile" (from ear to ear- training)
Started by LostCircuits
May 30, 2026
Replies: 11
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM May 2026 - Always Remember Us This Way
Started by MikeMorrell
Apr 28, 2026
Replies: 39
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM April 2026 - Freedom Jazz Dance
Started by rhysonsax
Mar 31, 2026
Replies: 14
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM and PETE (Play by Ear Training Exercise)
Started by Wade Cornell
Feb 28, 2026
Replies: 16
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM Feb 2026 - On Green Dolphin Street
Started by mrblackbat
Jan 31, 2026
Replies: 44
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM January 2026: Our Love Is Here to Stay
Started by GCinCT
Jan 1, 2026
Replies: 46
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM December 2025: Wexford Carol
Started by MikeMorrell
Nov 30, 2025
Replies: 37
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM November 2025 - Red Baron
Started by sax panther
Nov 1, 2025
Replies: 36
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
October 2025 - SOTM - Autumn In New York
Started by mrblackbat
Oct 1, 2025
Replies: 63
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
Forum statistics
Topics
32,262
Messages
576,008
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Discussion
🎷 Main Discussion sections🎷
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Late starters, gas and progress
Back
Top
Bottom