All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Saxophones Yts-25

milandro

due to my physical dimensions , thick skin ( pachyderm ) , and my very developed good memory I have been known to have been compared to an elephant before >:)

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Café Supporter
I believe Stephen Howard loves his pretty much above all others although I can't find a review by him of it on his site so I would say go for it you can't go far wrong with a yam and I think it's the tone that stephen rates most about his which is what you want more than anything and the finger positioning is always good on the yams....good luck...john

andyjb

i'm currently using an elkart series 2 alto as i've only just started. i spoke to my teacher about it and said i should leave it and spend a bit more money on a better quality one. i said "how much" to which he replied "how much have you got!" :shocked:

the voices stopped when i checked my bank balance:(

TomMapfumo

He loves his trusty old YTS 23 horn, NOT a YTS25! Here is an extract from his review of the Trevor James "Raw" Custom Tenor - "...Long-term readers of this site will know of my love for my trusty old Yamaha YTS23 tenor - a humble horn with a price-tag to match, and yet for me it's one of the most 'alive' horns I've ever had the pleasure to play..."

I believe Stephen Howard loves his pretty much above all others although I can't find a review by him of it on his site so I would say go for it you can't go far wrong with a yam and I think it's the tone that stephen rates most about his which is what you want more than anything and the finger positioning is always good on the yams....good luck...john

TomMapfumo

i'm currently using an elkart series 2 alto as i've only just started. i spoke to my teacher about it and said i should leave it and spend a bit more money on a better quality one. i said "how much" to which he replied "how much have you got!" :shocked:

the voices stopped when i checked my bank balance:(

Your teacher could have been a little more helpful IMO - it is perfectly possible to get a very good quality alto sax for under £1000 - Bauhaus Walstein AI Bronze, Buffet Crampon A400 and several others. There is no need to spend much more, unless you want to, and lots of dealers do 10 month interest free credit deals and more.

Kind regards
Tom

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Café Supporter
He loves his trusty old YTS 23 horn, NOT a YTS25! Here is an extract from his review of the Trevor James "Raw" Custom Tenor - "...Long-term readers of this site will know of my love for my trusty old Yamaha YTS23 tenor - a humble horn with a price-tag to match, and yet for me it's one of the most 'alive' horns I've ever had the pleasure to play..."

Third attempt at doing this they seem to keep vanishing into nowhere

I stand corrected it is a 23 that Stephen loves but having said that I have noticed one for sale on ebay asking £500 start and if they are as good as Stephen says might be worth a punt and it's a big jump from £500 to £1000 and I still think the 25 would be a good starter for the money...john

Taz

Busking Oracle
Funny, I've got an elkart series 2 alto and love it. It does exactly what it should and sounds great. It was my first sax bought for me as a Christmas present by my wife, and it really sparked my interest. I'd never sell it under any circumstances.

TomMapfumo

I just have a strong memory of Pete T's response to someone who was wondering whether to get a Yami 25 or a BW. He said that to choose the Yami would be a "no-brainer".

The YTS 23 is a different kettle of sax - my sax teacher plays one professionally, which was a hand me down from Lee Goodall!

milandro

Third attempt at doing this they seem to keep vanishing into nowhere

I stand corrected it is a 23 that Stephen loves but having said that I have noticed one for sale on ebay asking £500 start and if they are as good as Stephen says might be worth a punt and it's a big jump from £500 to £1000 and I still think the 25 would be a good starter for the money...john

as i said above the only difference between a YTS23 and a YTS 25 is the presence of the high F#, that’s all.......so, if anything the YTS25 is a YTS 23 with some extra keywork (I have nothing against the high F#)

andyjb

so to recap.

1 a yts 23 is the same as a yts 25 - the f#
2 they are good beginners sax, but if i add some more i can get a much better quality pro 2nd hand sax
3 general consensus is that there are better out there but you pays your money and takes your choice. some like them some don't

i think the type of sax you want is very much dependant on personal preference. thinking with my head (for once), i'm going to stick to my elkhart until i develop my own sound and skill. hopefully by then i'll be able to try a few and decide to buy one that's going to be a keeper.

would that be a fair synopsis???

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
so to recap.

1 a yts 23 is the same as a yts 25 - the f#
2 they are good beginners sax, but if i add some more i can get a much better quality pro 2nd hand sax
3 general consensus is that there are better out there but you pays your money and takes your choice. some like them some don't

i think the type of sax you want is very much dependant on personal preference. thinking with my head (for once), i'm going to stick to my elkhart until i develop my own sound and skill. hopefully by then i'll be able to try a few and decide to buy one that's going to be a keeper.

would that be a fair synopsis???

One other point - you won't go wrong with a Yamaha.
But you won't with the Elkhart, either.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Café Supporter
I think the main problem is that the jumps between these better pro saxes can be quite large if you talk about alto's you can get yam 25's and the likes for about £400 but if you want a yas 62 you'll have to pay £800 plus and even more for more exotics and the problem is that when you get into this region there are very well regarded Chinese saxes with pro features available new if you move on to tenors the variations are similar but the amounts are larger.A good place to look would be shwoodwind where there is all sorts of advice available on this topic or better still invest in the Haynes manual which starts by giving advice on these problems well worth the money....John

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom