All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Your first record

Taz

Busking Oracle
What are your first memories of music?

Now this could be the first record you bought, or just the first record you remember listening to.
Here's mine

Last edited by a moderator:

littleplum

First ecords

First Album was Muds Greatest Hits and the first single was Whispering Grass, Don Estelle and Windsor Davies

Well I liked them anyway

Dave

Rico Vandoren

The first one I owned was 'Tracey' by the Cufflinks- my older sister gave it to me when she was fed up of it. The first one I bought with my own money was ' Hell Raiser ' by The Sweet. The best pop record of all time, as everyone knows, is ' Make Me Smile ' by Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel.

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
First single was Needles and Pins(a) by The Searchers and first album With the Beatles.
My older sister told me that a little man lived in the record player looked through the vent holes to see which record was on and then performed it. When I tried to see him I burnt my eye lid. Valves you see get very hot. Child abuse they would call it now.

Pyrografix

Senile Member
Sad to say, the first record I bought was Jimmy Osmond - Long Haired Lover from Liverpool.

Eeeergh!

AlanU

I'd saved up some pocket money until I had the 6s 8d to buy 'Kites' by Simon Dupree & the Big Sound.
Alas Mardens in Waltham Cross had sold out. Desperate to buy a record I got 'I Feel free/NSU' by Cream.
I think it didn't really matter what I bought, I just wanted to have a record of my own.

My elder sister had lots of pop singles by British groups and Motown artistes.
Stella had also just got the great 'Four Tops Greatest Hits'. Still a great album.

Every Sunday lunchtime seemed to have the 'Billy Cotton Band Show' then there was 'Sunday Night at the London Palladium'.
Loads of exposure to 'proper' music with trumpets and saxophones.

stefank

My first memories of music are of "Andy Pandy" frrom a record, or maybe from the radio ("wireless", we called it then). Then being taken to Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra rehearsals as a very small child (I must have behaved reasonably well).

My first record (co-owner with my brother) was the Hard Day's Night EP.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Mine was The Beatles, She loves You. We'd got record vouchers for Christmas. My brother bought Pinky and Perky, Down on the Farm and drove us all nuts. Gues I did with The Beatles. But we had to get special permission to play them. That radiogram in it's big french polished cabinet had cost my father a fortune.... And dire penalties were threatened for misuse or breaking it. I loved the smell of it, especially when the valves were nice and warm.

When we eventually did get a Tv, Andy Pandy, The Woodentops and Tales of the Riverbank were early favourites, followed shortly by Blue Peter with Valerie Singleton and her fabulous constructions from wire coat hangers....

Anyone remember the Black and White Minstrels? And Rolf Harris/Val Doonican.

stefank

Mine was The Beatles, She loves You. We'd got record vouchers for Christmas. My brother bought Pinky and Perky, Down on the Farm and drove us all nuts. Gues I did with The Beatles. But we had to get special permission to play them. That radiogram in it's big french polished cabinet had cost my father a fortune.... And dire penalties were threatened for misuse or breaking it. I loved the smell of it, especially when the valves were nice and warm.

When we eventually did get a Tv, Andy Pandy, The Woodentops and Tales of the Riverbank were early favourites, followed shortly by Blue Peter with Valerie Singleton and her fabulous constructions from wire coat hangers....

Anyone remember the Black and White Minstrels? And Rolf Harris/Val Doonican.
You must be reasonably close to my (1953) vintage!

AndyG

The first single I bought was "Picture This" by Blondie after spending a week in hospital with Appendicitis (never got bad enough to operate though and a week off school was cool).

Filton

mine was this and it is still as good today as it was then !

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush.....which I still reckon sounds pretty good today (it was on the radio recently).. followed by.. hm, think it was something by The Police or the Boomtown Rats...

compound

My dad bought Hootsman by Lord Rockingham's eleven, with Red Price on Tenor sax, what a player he was. Those were the day's.
Rob.

old git

Tremendous Bore
First Music I was aware of? Moaning Minnie.

First record? Wabash Blues, a 78 from the 1946 Rhythm Series, possibly Parlophone.

thomsax

My first LP was "Grimascher och Telegram" with the Swedish/Dutch artist Cornelius Wreeswijk. Great musicians on that record: Jan Johansson(piano, accordion), Sture Nordin (bass), Rune Gustafsson (guitar) and Egil Johansen (drums).

Thomas

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom