Supporting   special needs music

Saxophones YouPoop Video Of An eBay Sale Alto, a Hohner President. Great Tone.

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
I've been researching this model alto....they are really pretty nice looking and sound good too. Check this demo out....he plays it about halfway through the exposition of the sax. Worth listening too to hear what this sax is capable of.
A truly unique sound.
But I suspect that the player may not quite be getting the best from it.

PigSquealer

Connoisseur of applesauce
Café Supporter
Locality
Los Angeles
Send it to me. I’ll remove the injured goose and ship it to you USPS:optimistic:

Elliot G.

Locality
Working class? Or Pocatello Idaho.
This is how I thought you played saxophone when I first started out.

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Café Supporter
Locality
Whitchurch, North Shropshire UK
I like the new 'always on' key technology so that you only have to press the key once and it then stays open until you no longer need it....

The player demonstrates commendable familiarity with the Kenny G school of playing with clear influences from Coltrane.

Any local group or ensemble would be pleased to provide a one-way ticket to Timbuktu should they show the slightest inclination of joining them

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Locality
New Mexico, US
Well...someone should be able to take a Hohner President for pretty cheap, then (also, it's a Saxaphone)

FWIW these are pretty good horns.....Max Keilwerth, very keilwerth-esque in tone and blowing response. Quite pretty too. So if you are willing to ante up for significant tech work, it will reward you.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Locality
New Mexico, US
Here's something interesting....I went to the YT toggle at the bottom of the vid in the initial post on this thread, which took me to watching it on the YT site. Then I clicked on the YT member's icon, which brought me to his YT page, then I clicked on videos.....which took me to his vids, and I saw this -

Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 8.20.19 AM.png

vid was posted 9 years ago. Is this a current auction ??? Or did you just find it in a websearch ???
:

Jazz Is All

Café Supporter
Locality
Barcelona, Spain
Here's something interesting....I went to the YT toggle at the bottom of the vid in the initial post on this thread, which took me to watching it on the YT site. Then I clicked on the YT member's icon, which brought me to his YT page, then I clicked on videos.....which took me to his vids, and I saw this -

View attachment 16648

vid was posted 9 years ago. Is this a current auction ??? Or did you just find it in a websearch ???
:
No, I found it on MeTube searching for videos of the saxes I have been looking at on eBroke in order to hear how they sound. Of course that requires finding someone who actually can play well enough to allow us to hear the sound of the sax rather than the backing track, the amp, the guitar pedal to ramp it up, or horrible playing. I put my phone with the tuner program right by the speakers and watched the intonation of all of them so see which saxes had generally good intonation despite the player. Some Gerrman saxes Helen mentioned have lousy intonation the minute you get to D2, but the Martins generally have good intonation. The Hohner President also has pretty good intonation if I remember correctly.

One thing about this video in particular is that before I got to the playing part, which had me howling with laughter and almost falling out of my chair, I was getting very annoyed with the "Let's look at the sax very slowly" routine during which he never got above the upper stack keys before I advanced to where he was putting it in his mouth. Then all hell broke loose, and I closed the window.

This joke video aside It bugs the living crap out of me the way some of these people have no frigging idea what we need to see to know what is needed to decide on a sax. They never photograph the pinky table. I have no idea why not, but finding a good photo of a vintage table on many of these ads is like looking for hen's teeth. And God forbid they should actually take the sax out of the old padded funky case, so you could see any details.....usually that is coupled with a landscape shot of their room with the sax in its smelly case 15 feet away. Then too, they love to shoot from above, so you can't possibly see a single pad even if they shoot from the open side of the stack keys. Has it never dawned on these imbeciles (and some of them actually play and buy saxes too) that we need to see the pads and the resos and that if they place the camera at the same level as the body of the sax on a table they w¡ill be visible? And of course shoot into the open keys, not from the rear like some also do. What the hell does that tell us? To me it says that the seller doesn't want you to see how old and sucky the pads actually are. But NO, they set it on the floor and shoot from above, so you can't tell jack **** about it and have to write them asking for info because their written info is about as informative as their worthless photos. Okay, rant over.... :old: :old::mad:>:)

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom