All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Jazz Young, in tune soprano girl plays Bechet.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
In tune? Hardly.

I always wondered why any versions of lonesome never have that certain something that he had. That was untill I played along with the record. Concert B. C# on the sop. It makes the song sound so plaintive. Master at work.

kernewegor

Bon vivant, raconteur and twit
Locality
cocks hill perranporth KERNOW
Great to see the performance.

I wish that I had started sax young enough to be that good by eleven years old.

kernewegor

Bon vivant, raconteur and twit
Locality
cocks hill perranporth KERNOW
I always wondered why any versions of lonesome never have that certain something that he had. That was untill I played along with the record. Concert B. C# on the sop. It makes the song sound so plaintive. Master at work.

I like the sound when improvising in C# and F# on tenor...much less so when reading (note to self - more practice reading required!)

AndyWhiteford

Locality
Glasgow
[QUOTE="in-tune soprano [/QUOTE]

I know those words, but not in that order .......

Reed Warbler

Locality
Marciac, France
I think they were just a bit nervous in front of an audience and perhaps unsure of the less in-tune trombonist. Your avatar doesn't look a bundle of laughs either Martin and I bet it wasn't taken in public.

BigMartin

Locality
Manchester, UK
I think they were just a bit nervous in front of an audience and perhaps unsure of the less in-tune trombonist. Your avatar doesn't look a bundle of laughs either Martin and I bet it wasn't taken in public.
I was playing to a group of friends who hadn't heard me play. I didn't particularly enjoy the experience (I was poorly prepared and played badly) and I (mildly) regretted agreeing to do it. I use it as I don't have many pictures of myself playing. But I'm an adult and it was my decision. I don't believe an 11-year-old is really capable of making such choices and should not be coerced into doing so. In my opinion, an 11-eyear-old playing before a paying audience is always being exploited, whether by her parents or someone else in this case I don't know. For example, what do you think would have happened that night if she decided at the last minute she didn't want to play?

I know this opinion isn't widely held in this forum, so I won't bang on about it, but I wanted to get my two penn'orth in.

AndyWhiteford

Locality
Glasgow
In tune? Hardly.

Wow - I'd always thought Bechet was in C, [backing in concert Bb] on "Si Tu Vois Ma Mere" a.k.a. "lonesome".
But if those old recordings have been transferred at the right speeed, you are correct, Colin. Concert B.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I get into trouble with the local bands about keys. I learn something from a record only to find the bands play it in Eb Bb or F. I haven't mastered lonesome in B yet lol. It's a bit of a handful. I'm in negotiation to play Prelude to a kiss in Db same as the Ellington record. Real book has it in C.

Reed Warbler

Locality
Marciac, France
If B melody saxes existed, sharp keys would be much easier but being fluent in all keys is of the essence. Going up in semitones is a great device but impossible if you cant play in all keys.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
I'm not so sure. Those kids look pretty unhappy to me.

The music schools here put the kids on stage early in their training. Usually it's a sympathetic audience of parents and grandparents. The idea is that they get over stage fright early on when it's easier. This concert was put on by a Spanish music school and combines pupils with established jazz musicians to give the pupils experience of playing at a higher level.

I've often seen this look on the faces of kids performing in music school concerts. Sometimes it looks like nerves, sometimes it's concentration. However once they take a bow and get well earned applause, their smiles are a delight.

I used to reach public speaking and found that many people were seriously nervous about it. In many cases it seemed to stem from school days, where teachers would question kids in class and do a lot of damage by attacking the lack of knowledge. No real applause for trying/doing ones best, just a verbal or worse beating.

I think it's good that the kids get this exposure in such a great environment.

Reed Warbler

Locality
Marciac, France
Agree with Kev, cant start too soon. Of course they enjoy it, team spirit, etc.

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
I was playing to a group of friends who hadn't heard me play. I didn't particularly enjoy the experience (I was poorly prepared and played badly) and I (mildly) regretted agreeing to do it. I use it as I don't have many pictures of myself playing. But I'm an adult and it was my decision. I don't believe an 11-year-old is really capable of making such choices and should not be coerced into doing so. In my opinion, an 11-eyear-old playing before a paying audience is always being exploited, whether by her parents or someone else in this case I don't know. For example, what do you think would have happened that night if she decided at the last minute she didn't want to play?

I know this opinion isn't widely held in this forum, so I won't bang on about it, but I wanted to get my two penn'orth in.
Crikey! I don't believe it!!

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom