support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

'You Don't Know What Love Is'

@CRAISYDAISYDOO - A great sultry slick version, lots of good space with a soft sub sound and nice crescendo's and smooth solo idea's, liking the minor maj 7 feel

took me 10 mins just to write ya name :)))

Crazydaisydoo: Wow, what a great tone.
Even the crappy speaker on my IPad couldn't ruin that.
Looks like it was a piece of cake for you too.
You've inspired me to work on this one some more.
Nick.

3 new versions since I was last on Colin,Chris and Matt. ( 3 tenors in a row):welldone They were all great and showed loads of variation from each other. I have to thank Matt for posting. Hopefully this will be his first of many on BOTM . I`m working on mine but not nearly happy yet:)

Knocked this out this afternoon. What a cracking tune. There seems to be lots I've never heard before.

There's a couple of bear traps in this one. Bar 21 , 5th bar of the break. My copy for tenor is noted Em7 A7 so the Eb should be natural to my thinking and ear.

And it's in F minor not Ab, so any blues scale runs in F will sound better. ( probably)
That was really nice Colin .. I especially liked the tempo changes throughout !

OK - looks like I can post a link now .. :thumb:

So I tried the tune this morning. I'd played the head before, but I've not worked on the solo, so as a result it's a bit of a plodding, ill-timed mess. :(
Set your alarm clock for 4 minutes ... :verysad

DeadAudiolink Removed

OK - looks like I can post a link now .. :thumb:

So I tried the tune this morning. I'd played the head before, but I've not worked on the solo, so as a result it's a bit of a plodding, ill-timed mess. :(
Set your alarm clock for 4 minutes ... :verysad

DeadAudiolink Removed

After an interesting start it settled down very nicely:thumb: You managed to create a very mournful feel with the solo, don't know if it was intended but it worked very well. Glad to have you on the BoTM thread Brendan:)

Chris..

Mournful .... well that's a step up from pathetic !! ;}
Oh .. and thanks for supplying the backing.
(interesting starts happen when there's no count in !! :))) )

Wow , I go away for a day and come back to some fine recordings, Chris Matt and Brendan. All different but equally enjoyable. That's what I love about this BoTM thread. :)

Thanks Sue and Marcello for listening. :D
I spent the rest of yesterday regretting that I posted that mess !
Unlike some people (peebee) ... I'm not skilled enough to post a tune with improv after only a day. :shocked:
(I was just too excited .. with the new forum and all .... )

Since we have the whole month still, I think I'll :
- practice some more
- try it an octave higher
- and pick up the tempo.

@Brendan - nice rich baritone tone, very full, but that start was rather "different", cough, splutter:confused:?? believe me i have started and finished WAAAY worse than that in my time so there is hope yet ;}

sounded much better when you went up the octave half way through, sounded nice in that register...

@Brendan - nice rich baritone tone, very full, but that start was rather "different", cough, splutter:confused:?? believe me i have started and finished WAAAY worse than that in my time so there is hope yet
sounded much better when you went up the octave half way through, sounded nice in that register...
The start was me practicing my altissimo .. :shocked:
I've played the last few tunes as low as possible (lots of low A's and Bb's) as an exercise, and because someone over at the other forum mentioned that I was playing too high !!

Just had another play with this tune.

http://snd.sc/13cQkS1 Honest it is different..
You were swinging the head more in this version Chris - very nice !

Had some time for two quick and dirty takes on this very nice song. Never played it before, but I listened a lot to the great version of John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman. As some of you might know I always like to fool around with mouthpieces (at least in home recordings, out-doors I mostly play the same piece), so here are two takes: one on a 1950's vintage Otto Link Florida no USA 10* (my main mouthpiece) and one a modern Otto Link STM NY 11. Both played on the same Selmer SBA and La Voz medium reed.

- 'You Don't Know What Love Is' (1950's Florida no USA 10* - La Voz medium):
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12440175

- 'You Don't Know What Love Is' (current STM NY 11 - La Voz medium):
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12440176

Both very good pieces, but I prefer the vintage Florida being a bit darker, stronger and having a more complex sound than the NY 11.

Hope to find some listening and commenting time for other takes here later this week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom