All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

'You Don't Know What Love Is'

Di in France

Locality
France
Hi All,
Vaughan has asked me to choose this months tune, so my choice is 'You Don't Know What Love Is'.

Again, a very big thanks to Chris for providing the backing track and dots.

There are two backings one @62 with x2 choruses and 4 bar intro, plus one @121 with x4 choruses and 4 bar intro, there are simple Bb sheet embellished Bb and Eb sheet.

Here's the link to my box account for anyone that needs the tracks.

https://app.box.com/s/f5kbjqlulr7dn4dndtg4

I've got visitors here for the next 10 days so may not be able to record my version immediately, but I'll get to it as soon as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clivey

Locality
Edinburgh/Hot Rock off African Coast
Hi All,
Vaughan has asked me to choose this months tune, so my choice is 'You Don't Know What Love Is'.

There are two backings one @62 with x2 choruses and 4 bar intro, plus one @121 with x4 choruses and 4 bar intro, there are simple Bb sheet embellished Bb and Eb sheet.

I've got visitors here for the next 10 days so may not be able to record my version immediately, but I'll get to it as soon as possible.

God. it`s such a lovely number

I`m a total sucker for about anything I hear Chet doing so I think I`ll enjoy this after I manage to get the water works turned off.

thesaxman71

i like this style of it, great energy, really appeals a lot to me.

and Dexters version that Chris posted is fantastic.

ArtyLady

Locality
Essex
Great tune - I've enjoyed playing this one for many years, but doubt I'll record it as my recording efforts are so rubbish! :(

thesaxman71

Great tune - I've enjoyed playing this one for many years, but doubt I'll record it as my recording efforts are so rubbish! :(
noooo, now take the negative head off right now young lady and let's hear ya record, after all we are all in the same boat to spur each other on in sax playing.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn

We're here to help each other. It's the whole point of the thread. More you do easier and beter you get.

dubrosa22

Locality
Sydney, Australia
Excellent choice Di! I can't believe I've never played it before.

Coltrane, Miles, Chet, Dolphy... but undoubtably the best for me is Rollins' rendition on either Saxophone Colossus or Work Time, can't remember which album right now :)

This tune along with the Gary Burton Improv course is going to keep me busy this month! >:)

V

ArtyLady

Locality
Essex
We're here to help each other. It's the whole point of the thread. More you do easier and beter you get.

I'm going to try with my Shure mic once I get a xlr to usb lead, hopefully might improve the quality of my recordings....

thesaxman71

I'm going to try with my Shure mic once I get a xlr to usb lead, hopefully might improve the quality of my recordings....
A much better way, you should get the hang of it easy and where to judge the best recording point , happy for you :)

ArtyLady

Locality
Essex
A much better way, you should get the hang of it easy and where to judge the best recording point , happy for you :)

Should have more time in a couple of weeks - frantically trying to learn a whole new set list for Saturday's dep job arggh!!

Marcello

Locality
Anderson, South Carolina
Hi All,

It has been for 3 months that I discovered the ballad of the month and it will be for the 3rd month that I will have the opportunity to learn a tune that is not in my listening list. Well, the other 2 entered in my list because I loved them....
I am sure this will be another one...!
personal challenge mode on...!
Hope that by the middle of the month I can come up with something shareable....

Cheers!

Marcello

Locality
Anderson, South Carolina
Just found this lovely version....
Costello's voice to these ballads is very nice....
Mr. Baker doesn't need any comments..... (although he deserves many...) ;}

http://youtu.be/Q-ixB-NxP74

Cheers

B Flat

Locality
Melbourne Australia
Firstly what a great choice for BOTM.
This tune is new to me but I wanted to get a couple of straight up takes done.
Often these quick takes have something fresh about them.
Not sure what time this works better in so here's one of each.
Tried to get a bit fancy in the later part of the faster take which didn't really pay off.
https://app.box.com/s/vphmxaphd06y5kxt2c5v (slower)
https://app.box.com/s/wxot82grkdhblnj6ggsn (faster)
Nick.

thesaxman71

@ B Flat - the 1st slower version is by far more comfortable both from a playing side and as a listener, sounds like you are missing a lot of the subtle chord changes in the faster version and end up falling back to pentatonic patterns, i am sure you will easily be able to play the faster changes in time 'cos i hear an energy bursting through your playing striving to connect with the faster version and the changes. There seems as whole better flow and comfort on the 1st version, nice and smooth.

Sue

One prosecco, two prosecco, three prosecco - floor
Café Supporter
Locality
The Millenium Falcon
Great choice Di, a beautiful tune and loads of great versions on YouTube. I've discovered some new ones posted on here - thanks everyone and Colin I loved the marmite one!

Nick, I listened to your takes and found the slower one very soulful and expressive. I thought the faster version worked too (I agree with your sentiments from about 3 minutes for a few bars), although I think I prefer the slower take.

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom