support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

yet more in Cornwall

Drphil

Hello everybody!:confused:
as yet I have no sax,there's a potential row in the Family as my 15yr old daughter wants to start playing too!( my 10yr old son as well -and if I get a horn the 13yr old who plays 4 things will probably nick it!).

I have been trying to get things right and reading lots on the forum -increadibly useful info so thanks to everyone. I've read up on Pete's website and understand that the most important things are shades and a hat -my 'dirty dogs' broke 2 years ago and my nike beanie makes me look like Benny from crossroads(I was very young when that was on!) so I might just not cool enough to play the sax!

How much does anyone think I should pay for an evette buffett crampon alto in good nick - periodically there seem to be some good buys on ebay despite the obvious risks

I prefer to attack it from the other direction, ie what is your budget?

If you're looking to spend about £350 (for an alto) or so then you'd need to go a long way to get a better deal than the Bauhaus Walstein by all accounts. But there are equally good deals from Sax.co.uk and John Packer to mention two.

I wouldn't go for something from ebay until you know what you are after and know how to tell a duffer from a good'un.

At least with the BW, Sax.co.uk and John Packers they will be set up and play tested.

If you know someone who plays sax, ask them to assist you in choosing one from a reputable shop.:welldone

as yet I have no sax,there's a potential row in the Family as my 15yr old daughter wants to start playing too!( my 10yr old son as well -and if I get a horn the 13yr old who plays 4 things will probably nick it!).

Hi Drphil, the answer to your quandary and how to avoid a family row (could be very noisy) get yourself a bari! The little darlings wont be able to pick it up, let alone have enough puff! :))) :)))
Its ok, you can thank me later!
Welcome to the BR, as Pjonah said, there's plenty of good advice around and do be careful on the devils >:) junkyard (I cant say too much as my Amati tenor came from there)

Dear Dr
Welcome. Well you've started the right way with the hat and shades. Simon's
advice looks good. Bauhaus Walstein have a growing reputation for low priced good models. Whatever you get, lock it in a cupboard and tell your youngsters it's too big and heavy for them. Don't tell them that there's a Trevor James entry level model for small hands; not least because if they do badger you into buying one(?) you'll have to replace it with a proper one with all the keys in a few years.
Good luck.
YC

BTW, is that Dr. Phil, or Dr of Phil as in PhD? Don't think we have anyone else with a doctorate, do we?

fraid it's just a nickname from when I used to go into some reception classes in primary schools -and to do with my job that has stuck.

thanks for the welcome folks , unfortunately my budget is as little as possible as I'm sure my beloved wont se any reason for me to buy one at all!

I've just been lent for 2 weeks only a friends elkhart alto and I've been making the most interesting noises in the carpark of the local hospital -the first few attempt being remarkably similar to my ducks! however I do seem to now be getting proper notes and 2 registers(dont know how!) guess I might need some lessons!

Hi DrPhil

Welcome to the site

What part of cornwall are you from?

Mamos

Hi and welcome to the forum, plenty of good advice available here as you've already found.

Phil

Hi DrPhil

Welcome to the site

What part of cornwall are you from?

Mamos

Bodmin moor -infact only a couple of miles from Moz (Martin) though we've never met,it also turns out I've found an advert for a sax teacher in Liskeard that is the trumpet player in his band as well! Small world!

Hi and welcome DrPhil from wonderful Welwyn in Herts. As you are probably well aware by now there's a lot of good info and opinions in the Room - I haven't played a Walstein myself, but they are terrific horns on a budget by all accounts. I have to plead guilty to buying a couple of horns off eBay (Yamahas both, an alto and a tenor) without getting stung so far, but I'm not sure I'd push my luck again....

Now that you've borrowed a sax and got some sounds out of it, you do realise that you are in the first stages of a non-reversible and incurable addiction, don't you? You'll be waking up in the middle of the night intoning 'must have more mouthpieces, must have more mouthpieces' or 'must try some RJS/ZZ/Superial etc reeds, maybe they'll sort out my sound' etc. All the best!

Cheers, Bob (crossing Bodmin Moor heading west on Friday, will keep an ear cocked for strange noises)

Bodmin moor -infact only a couple of miles from Moz (Martin) though we've never met,it also turns out I've found an advert for a sax teacher in Liskeard that is the trumpet player in his band as well! Small world!

DrPhil, I've sent you a PM.

Cheers

Martin

Hi DrPhil and welcome to the breakfastroom - I am also from the westcountry but am in Devon (Exmouth).

I see you are on a budget an are looking for a saxophone. You can, if you are lucky, get a bargain on Ebay however, if you get a sax that will need work then you should be prepared to pay around the £50 mark* to get a sax thoroughly checked over and put in good playing order.

* assuming the sax doesnt need major work - eg realigning the bell or fitting a handful pads etc.

John Packers in Taunton have ex rental alto's that will have been through their workshop and play well

here's a link:
Dead link removed

If that's still out of your price range you could hire a sax, loads of shops hire new instruments a few do it online too. you could then try the sax for a period of around 3 months to see if its really what you want and if you like it, you can either continue renting, or buy it outright at a discounted price.

rentals start from around the £12 mark per month.

Griff

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome DrPhil,
Enjoy.

Welcome from the other half of the world. get playing and just enjoy. Mmmm I am thinking you have a quartet with all in the family that want to play!!!:welldone:welldone

From another Phil welcome DR... Agree with Bobby G, your life will never be the same, thought you had problems getting a sax, wait till you realise all the other stuff you think you need. Still one thing which costs nothing is our breath. Mind you i'm sure our esteemed gov are working on some scheme to tax us on that. Enjoy the forum. Phil aka thehunt! >:)

I have two Sakkusus a tenor and an alto and a Trevor James alto if you wanted to come down and try them out.

I started by hiring the tenor from sax.co.uk and then bought it on 0% interest

Very easy and really nice sax

You're welcome to pop down anytime you like

mamos

I have two Sakkusus a tenor and an alto and a Trevor James alto if you wanted to come down and try them out.

I started by hiring the tenor from sax.co.uk and then bought it on 0% interest

Very easy and really nice sax

You're welcome to pop down anytime you like

mamos

Thanks -thats a really kind offer, I like the idea of hire then 0% interest , it might get over the theoretical problem of me spending yet more money that we dont have! What did you hire and do you like it?

I also originally hired my sax from sax.co.uk a black Sakkusu tenor, which i ended up buying, luckily though got a bonus last year and bought a Mauriat 66R. Sold my Sakkusu to some lucky bugger. You know who you are??
Great way of getting to know an instrument and seeing if you really want to continue. Phil

Back
Top Bottom