All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Yet Another Grand Exit

dooce

Nope, nothing to do with recent events on the forum, which ought to be titled SPNTGOM (some people need to get out more), but a cautionary tale of the demise of my recent Blues Brothers band experience. Must be the most doomed band I've ever been involved with - it started out with a 3-piece horn section and rhythm section recruited to back a couple of Jake/Elwood characters who were used to doing all the songs with backing tracks - when they found they couldn't cope with a real band they left, then the keys player left because he had too many "lounge music" commitments, then 2nd sax left (not really missed - she never made a noticeable contribution anyway). Then we recruited another Jake who turned out to be a true BB fanatic - I mean, this guys' profile picture on the Linked In business website was of him in full John Belushi lookalike mode - who promptly p***ed everyone else off with his demands to change established arrangements and setlists, but we lived with it and managed to recruit a very experienced new keys player. We finally all got together for a proper rehearsal a few weeks ago - it was a bit of a shambles, not unexpectedly since we were trying a whole load of obscure songs that would be known only to true Blues Bros devotees. The problem was that the guy that brought us all together and whose band it effectively was, had booked a gig in 5 weeks time. Major panic - how do we fit in a load of extra rehearsals in the time available? Which escalated into a meltdown crisis when, out of the blue, "Jake" chucked in the towel claiming it was that or his marriage (I never met Mrs Jake so can't comment on his choice.....) By this time, the keys player had seen what the future held and politely said no thanks and walked, so there we are, missing a lead singer and a crucial instrument......and still they planned to go ahead with the gig! At which point I said enough was enough; I joined them to be in what was talked up to be a slick, well-rehearsed act, capable of going out and grabbing big audiences in great venues; instead of which it was turning into a desperate and embarrassing pub band. Pity - I put a lot of work into that band, transcribing and scoring horn arrangements, not to mention endless rehearsals and auditions but on the other hand, I don't have to face the prospect of trotting out "Everybody Needs Somebody" and "Shake a Tailfeather" at every gig for the next couple of years!

Ah well, onwards and upwards, mes amis........

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
You've probably saved yourself from a fate worse than death the next band could be ace...john

MellowD

Lost In Theory
By the sounds of the level of your personal commitment, you won't let all the hard work and transcriptions go to waste. Seems it may all have done you a favour and leave the door open for something sooooooo much better and more fun with it!

Wishing you all the best and a new band adventure very soon!

Mel

jeremyjuicewah

Only been in one band and when I chucked that up I felt nothing but a great relief. I am sure it will not be the last time, and I am sure you really are going onwards and upwards. Good luck.
Mike

old git

Tremendous Bore
Ah well, onwards and upwards, mes amis........
Onwards and upwards is the motto of The Camden School for Girls.

Were you lucky enough to go there and how did you wangle your way in?

Shame about the band but you all survived and are wiser.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
I put a lot of work into that band, transcribing and scoring horn arrangements
It is all in the bank, just keep the parts for yourself and get them back after reh and gigs.

jonf

Now that sounds like a rather familiar tale. Pretty much the same reason for me not playing in bands any more, and not missing it, either.

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
I have observed this with work colleagues who play in bands. Fortunately, I've not had this experience yet with either of my choirs. If you become chairman, as I have done with both (not currently), you get to 'suggest' repertoire, which is one way of getting to sing the stuff you want to.

Lelly

Scarily Tall!!!!
Bill, I can empathise.

I also joined a small swing band that promised to be "fun and friendly" and maybe pay one day. I ended up leaving due to "creative differences". I won't go into details as others on here know who I am talking about!

I had also arranged music for the group but I have kep trhe arrangements on the 'puter so when I join another sax group they can be re-tried.

Lelx

What

Bad luck my friend, but it was an experience and even the lousy ones are worth going through. Hopefully your future prospects will be better, and have an option for more variety too. From the sound of it though you have great dedication and that will land you someplace great I am sure. Keep at it.

Fraser Jarvis

Been there, seen it and done it Bill! looks just like the meltdown in my old band the Bedlamites, as someone pointed out to me at the time, welcome to band life...thats just how it is!

Taz

Busking Oracle
Onwards and upwards mate. Trouble with people like us is, that when asked, we just can't say no!!

dooce

Thanks for your kind thoughts but I posted in the first place because I thought it was a funny story, not because I was looking for a shoulder to cry on! It bothers me not one iota, and the fact that I have heard not one word from any of the band since I left just confirms that I did the right thing - no "thanks for your input, all the best" stuff, just a stony silence! Bloody bunch of delusional prima donnas.....

I'm in 2 other full-time bands and am depping for another so I am not suffering any withdrawal symptoms. Mind you, I was a bit worried when the newest band emailed me just now to ask if it was a problem for me if they de-tuned everything a semitone to make it easier for the vocals! Can you imagine - all those nice familiar numbers in D, suddenly in C#? Aaaagghh!! (I put them right on that one :) )

Colin the Bear

I bet it was a string player suggested that. Ask to borrow his capo.

Can't see a semitone making that much difference to the vocalist. Play the hero/martyr and suggest a full tone. Vocalist may love you for it.

Guitarists don't like Bb for some reason

dooce

I bet it was a string player suggested that. Ask to borrow his capo.

Can't see a semitone making that much difference to the vocalist. Play the hero/martyr and suggest a full tone. Vocalist may love you for it.

Guitarists don't like Bb for some reason
Well, it's a thought, but I just suggested that they should either choose songs that are within their vocal range or change the ones that they struggle with to a key that is acceptable to all. I think they struggle a bit with the second concept, so much easier to crank the guitars tuning down and twiddle a knob on the keyboard.....

Lelly

Scarily Tall!!!!
We have just had to rescore a chunk of hello dolly down a minor 3rd (and then a maj 3rd as well) as our leading lady isn't a soprano! A bit of a pain but took me out of a lousy key into G!

The keyboard player pressed a button and the keyboard just transposed for her. the rest of us had some frantic scribbing to do!

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
We have just had to rescore a chunk of hello dolly down a minor 3rd (and then a maj 3rd as well) as our leading lady isn't a soprano!
For now... tomorrow it's a new day, it's a new voice, it's a new key....

Top Bottom