All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Saxophones YAS21 RAW-Bell & Bow

Ads

Locality
North West UK
I`ve had the "Pruple Rat" YAS21 for quite a while now and I`m loving it for its lively powerful sound, and although It`s a player not a looker I just thought I`d have a go at De-Laquering the Bell and Bow as unlike the later horns (but like the 61) it has a clamp joint at the body tube allowing disassembly ..

Well I`ve never taken a sax apart even at this simple level (other stuff , yes, Saxes , no) but after inspection and seeing that all I needed to do to remove the bell & Bow is remove the RH pinkie mech & two guards , I thought I`d give it a go.. . and it DID come apart easily . after separation, I removed the mech and Key off the bell and cleaned the ratty laquer off with a combination of very fine foam sanding block and wire wool , it was messy and took quite a while, that Laquer really is tough , no wonder why John JBT doesn`t want to do another .

as it was apart with no pads on, I did my best to clean out the inside but as the bow is glue fitted to the bell, I couldn`t get all the cruddy black and red tarnishing out but it`s a hell of a lot better .. anyway after getting a nice satin finish on the outside, I reassembled with no hassle at all . I used EvoStik on the Bow to tube joint to make sure of a good seal (it peels off metal when needed to be pulled apart again so a good choice IMO) I wasn`t going to reassemble dry as it`d no doubt leak . I made sure the rear guard screws aligned up before tightning (the Bow clamp has one of the mounts on) ..

Amazing thing is that the Bow and Bell notes sound better than they ever did, the B and Bb showing the most improvement - this horn Rocked before but it`s even better now , the Bow C doesn`t sound stuffy if played in the upper octave (it usually does hence why "teacher taught" Sax players wouldn`t use it - LOL) . MY guess is the Clamped joint being the culprit , 40 years and the sealant Yam used was well crusty , a leak light wouldn`t show up any air loss there due to the complexity of the joint ..

Anyway the Pruple Rat is looking and amazingly, sounding better and I`ve learned a few things .. I`d like to do the body tube too but it was never as bad as the bell and bow and I think remving all that keywork and expecting the regulation to remain OK would be a step too far for me . I`ll do the neck at some stage though ..

All I need now is a Yamaha and the Tuniing fork Stencil to use with my Humbrol Pruple Paint :D

Quick Snap of the horn now
Yamaha-21-ASax-1n.JPG

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
Looks beaut

Will the patina look as good? Time will tell

Reactions: Ads

Ads

Locality
North West UK
Thanks Ivan ........ it`ll look far better than the scored and scraped original laquer (which looked likr rusty scratches) that`s for sure . I`m hoping it`ll go the dull brown shades which a lot of RAW horns do without all the minging green bits

jazzdoh

Locality
West Midlands
Looks great,I've never took a sax apart either,I'm not good with DIY and stuff like that,but you have done a marvellous job.

Ads

Locality
North West UK
Thanks Jeanette, Brian & Di - I have to admit that I did the easy bit (Bell and Bow), the B and Bb keys stay dangling off the main stack , the body would require all the keys removing and I really don`t think I`m up to that yet . When (or if) I am, the horn will look superb all in RAW brass , at the moment it`s got that mixed look like silversonics, Yani 99xx etc have . I will do the neck though .. It`d be lovely to get the whole horn it silver plated , probably worth it to going by the sound and as the Nickel keys wouldn`t need doing, Comparitively not that expensive

Merryfisher

Locality
Hampshire
Thanks Ivan ........ it`ll look far better than the scored and scraped original laquer (which looked likr rusty scratches) that`s for sure . I`m hoping it`ll go the dull brown shades which a lot of RAW horns do without all the minging green bits

not sure you'll ever avoid the green bits - let me know your secret if you do?

Ads

Locality
North West UK
I aim to rub the green bits clean and hope they turn brown next time (well, it`s a plan - LOL) . I`d love the courage to get the whole sax done but 1:- the thing plays and sounds so good as it is now (I`ve just put it down and it wails along with the best) 2:- likelyhood it won`t after a bungling attempt to put it back together and 3:- a RAW bodytube WILL get green bits ;-)

It`ll be the only 3-Tone YAS21 when the Patina forms - RAW brass, Laquered brass and Nickel .

Ads

Locality
North West UK
Thanks Amanda ...... You`re all making me want to do the main tube now :eek:

Another pic , you can see the difference between bow and body , I left the guard Laquered , it kinda works too . Satin finishes give odd reflections , the pics were quickies , didn`t set the strobes up properly or anything

Yamaha-21-ASax-8.JPG

Last edited:

Jamesmac

Looks beautiful Ads.
I finished a YAS 23 a while back.
Dont want to hi-jack your thread, but, if your interested in seeing a pic of something very different.
Let me know,

Ads

Locality
North West UK
Thanks Jim, one thing I`m going to do is fill in the Yamaha logo on the bell brace in Pruple and do the RAW thing on removable shirt guard . I`d like to put Yamaha and the logo on the side of the bell like a 61 has in pruple too but with a stencil so it looks right. has anyone asked Yamaha for the original pruple transfers ?

As for your 23, I`d suggest starting a new thread for it , sounds like it deserves one ! ......

Jamesmac

Thanks Jim, one thing I`m going to do is fill in the Yamaha logo on the bell brace in Pruple and do the RAW thing on removable shirt guard . I`d like to put Yamaha and the logo on the side of the bell like a 61 has in pruple too but with a stencil so it looks right. has anyone asked Yamaha for the original pruple transfers ?

As for your 23, I`d suggest starting a new thread for it , sounds like it deserves one ! ......
To be frank, I just thought for your interest. I will PM you a pic. The trouble starting a new thread is all that writing.:)

Pyrografix

Senile Member
Locality
Sunny Aberdeenshire
Thanks Amanda ...... You`re all making me want to do the main tube now :eek:

As another rat YAS21 owner, it's great to see what can be done. Go ahead and do the rest of it, and I might be tempted to send you another project! Or maybe not, as mine's just been expertly set up by Griff and shouldn't be disturbed:cool:

Ads

Locality
North West UK
The prob Amanda is that I may not have a working horn afterwards if I do the main part :( ... anyone who wants to send me a free Yamaha saxophone is welcome to though :D ..... this was setup by Paul Carrington and fair dues to his work, it stood up to my bow / bell dissassembly , all regulation is fine .... it was a shame Griff didn`t strip that 21 of yours down while he was rebuilding it , maybe John put him off - LOL. it wasn`t easy (the laq doesn`t fall off like non-yamahas) but didn`t take all day to remove it ..

Jim if that 23 is That Different , Gotta be worth at least a new thread with a pic and simple description - (pic is worth 1000 words ;-)

Thanks Jonners :)

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom