support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones YAS 62 , What to do ?

Ads

I`ve very recently have dipped my toe into the Alto world (hence mooching around forums the past weeks) . I got a used TJ Classic as I didn`t know whether I`d take to alto or it`d just be a "Yeah, tried that" and stick with just tenor . as it happens I`m enjoying the range very much (though finding the high octave a re-learning curve a bit).

Anyway it looks like Alto will stay and although I`m usually not prone to GAS, I`d like a higher end horn and I`ve seen a few Yams on the dreaded site, a minty 09 vintage 62 for £1100 or Best offer (I`m sure they`d take a grand) and an 875 Custom at £700 with no bids on which looks like the perfect steal but the seller only has 3 feedback for buying only from March . (probably why no bids). Obviously the 62 is the safe bet and if the Alto is as nice as the Tenor I tried ages ago, I`ll love it. Question is, is this a good price for a recent 62 in excellent condition or is it better hanging in longer.. Thanks

This question appears monthly! Is this a Yamaha marketing theme?!!!
to be fair to the OP he only joined in August so i am sure he is not knowing this brand is talked about a lot on here and it is an open forum open to all things saxophone related. Also a lot of people are curious about and/or like this particular brand maybe cos they are VERY good (i am not endorsed by this brand by the way they are just my preference)...
Repetition happens on forums as many people, particularly newer players wanting to upgrade, will seek advice on these type of saxes in general so they are bound to feature frequently given the traffic of forum users and new players wanting to change saxes. :)

*@Steirische Dude - in answer to the original post, it is a good price for a vintage 62, especially if you can get it for less than the asking price for solid great pro level sax.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa!!! Just having some fun! Crikey.....it is a Yamaha advertising project!!!!! JOKING!
sorry, wasn't trying to be all "straight laced", just plain writing on these forums can come across too dry, was just being all sensible haha, and it aint an advertising project by me, you mentioned the name more than anyone here (i ain't said it once) so maybe you are secretly endorsing it hahahah (joking)

Thanks Saxman, it`s the whole "safe-bet" thing with Yams and Yanis top class horns without the sample variation and easy to re-sell if in 12 months if the Alto thing fizzles out (which I`m sure it won't though tenor will always be main horn) . I know there are other decent horns you can get for around the grand mark but I`ve played the tenor 62 and heard plenty of the Altos in my time . I`m less familiar with the Yani 901

Martin, Martin, Martin....NOT Yxxxxxx!!!!!! One day I shall have a go on a 62! One of the best things about this forum is the patience from most of the senior members when helping intermediate players.

Now...back to the Martin!

Thanks Saxman, it`s the whole "safe-bet" thing with Yams and Yanis top class horns without the sample variation and easy to re-sell if in 12 months if the Alto thing fizzles out (which I`m sure it won't though I`ll always love tenor) . I know there are other decent horns you can get for around the grand mark but I`ve played the tenor 62 and heard plenty of the Altos in my time . I`m less familiar with the Yani 901
no problem, and in my opinion, if you get a 62 you will never 'need' to get another after that, i had my tenor version over 20 years and never needed or been tempted to change it, and that speaks volumes to me as i can have the biggest GAS attacks known to man and beast hahaha.

Martin, Martin, Martin....NOT Yxxxxxx!!!!!! One day I shall have a go on a 62! One of the best things about this forum is the patience from most of the senior members when helping intermediate players.

Now...back to the Martin!

Martin Scorscese? Martin Luther King? Dean Martin? not sure which you mean?

If you do try a 62 try the older 1's (purple logo)

This was my thought, the Alto thing was always going to be a "two step" (Trial horn then final horn) if it was going to stick, looks like it will . I`ve not seen many Purple Logos about. people keep them

I`ve very recently have dipped my toe into the Alto world (hence mooching around forums the past weeks) . I got a used TJ Classic as I didn`t know whether I`d take to alto or it`d just be a "Yeah, tried that" and stick with just tenor . as it happens I`m enjoying the range very much (though finding the high octave a re-learning curve a bit).

Anyway it looks like Alto will stay and although I`m usually not prone to GAS, I`d like a higher end horn and I`ve seen a few Yams on the dreaded site, a minty 09 vintage 62 for £1100 or Best offer (I`m sure they`d take a grand) and an 875 Custom at £700 with no bids on which looks like the perfect steal but the seller only has 3 feedback for buying only from March . (probably why no bids). Obviously the 62 is the safe bet and if the Alto is as nice as the Tenor I tried ages ago, I`ll love it. Question is, is this a good price for a recent 62 in excellent condition or is it better hanging in longer.. Thanks

I saw the YAS 875 also looks suspect, only stock pic, wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. I sold a YAS 62 ( older model ) and bought a custom a while back, and was able to compare the two. I found little difference in the general sound, in fact reed selection make more difference. But the Custom has a better feel under the fingers.

at that price (£1000) you wouldnt lose much (if any) if you decided to sell it at a later day .. i would def go for it & give it a try for a good few months .. ive never played Alto before & am quite happy struggling along with my Tenor .... whatever your decision, all the best

meaning the 62 ... £700 for an 875 seems a bit suspect

Yeah, I thought that all I`d be buying with that 875 is a battle with E-Bay to get my money back after the horn didn`t arrive .. I expected the difference between the customs and the 62 would be more down to mechanical refinement and finish than sound.

. and Thanks Dexter

Thanks Saxman, it`s the whole "safe-bet" thing with Yams and Yanis top class horns without the sample variation and easy to re-sell if in 12 months if the Alto thing fizzles out (which I`m sure it won't though tenor will always be main horn) . I know there are other decent horns you can get for around the grand mark but I`ve played the tenor 62 and heard plenty of the Altos in my time . I`m less familiar with the Yani 901

A Yani A901 listed yesterday at £950 starting bid. Sorry I can't get on ebay at the mo to post the link but it should be easy to find.

Yeah & thanks , I spotted that after posting there aren`t many about :blush: , pickup only but not a million miles away, definately in the running, I`ve only heard the 991/2 models "live" not the 901s

the 901 is essentially the 991 only without the dbl braced arm on c cup & without the ribbed construction

Yep, had a 901 that I sold to a pro musician and bought an A992. I couldn't discern any difference when I compared the 901 to the 991 and bought the 992 ex-demo just because it was a fantastic price (and a pretty colour) Playability and intonation are fabulous, and well looked after they should keep their value.

Yep, had a 901 that I sold to a pro musician and bought an A992. I couldn't discern any difference when I compared the 901 to the 991 and bought the 992 ex-demo just because it was a fantastic price (and a pretty colour) Playability and intonation are fabulous, and well looked after they should keep their value.

i was looking at a T992 but the second hand one from sax.co had gone when i called ....