support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Yas 32 or Ida Maria Grassi Pro 2000?

Paradoxx

Locality
Moldova
Hello to all!
I need your help. I want to learn how to play the saxophone, but I can't decide what to buy YAS 32 (Japan) or Ida Maria Grassi Professional 2000 (Made in Italy). Prices are the same 950 € and both are in excellent condition, and it looks like it is the original. I would be very grateful to everyone who will help with the choice.

That’s a nice problem, because they are both excellent saxes.

I have a Grassi Pro 2000 tenor and I have tried the alto. To my ears it sounded a bit darker than the Yamaha.

If you can try them then I suggest you take the one that feels more comfortable. Or you could adk someone else to play them and see if you prefer one.

Unfortunately, there is no opportunity to try one or the other. I myself can not play the saxophone, but there is a great desire to learn, because I used to play the clarinet myself, but it was a long time ago, and I like the sound of the saxophone. Plus, I would like to have an excellent tool that will always have good value and that it sounds nice.
Thanks a lot for your help!

Please be aware that it may be some time before you sound nice... on anything ;) Yamahas are reported to sound a little bright. They play well, are quite robust, easily regulated and sell on easily. The value in the Grassi may be more from a collectors or romantic/nostalgic viewpoint than a players. Possibly take an experienced player to get the best out of it. Your heart will decide and override any decisions your head makes. The decision is quite academic. Both nice horns on paper.

WDR.....a Grassi 2000 is not a 'collectors horn'...nor a 'nostalgic' one by any means.

Ida Maria Grassi , Italy was in biz until the late 90's/early 2000's I believe.....the 2000 Professional is arguably the absolute epitome of what the company ever produced.
It's a completely modern/contemporary horn which blows, sounds, responds better than 95% of contemporary horns, and has that great old vintage Italian tone. I have serviced around a half-dozen of these, they are stellar.

One can appreciate Yamahas for consistency and reliability....but between a 32 and a Grassi 2G Pro....

This is really no contest. Nothing about the former comes close to exceeding the attributes of the latter.

Grab the Grassi, it's a good price.

Thank you so much for your advice. We immediately see that there are professionals here, not only in music but also great people with a pure soul. If there are any other opinions, please speak out ...

I clicked the link out of curiosity and it says the auction has ended. Did you buy it? If so, congrats on the new saxophone. Best of luck learning. Hard work but lots of fun.

WDR.....a Grassi 2000 is not a 'collectors horn'...nor a 'nostalgic' one by any means.

Ida Maria Grassi , Italy was in biz until the late 90's/early 2000's I believe.....the 2000 Professional is arguably the absolute epitome of what the company ever produced.
It's a completely modern/contemporary horn which blows, sounds, responds better than 95% of contemporary horns, and has that great old vintage Italian tone. I have serviced around a half-dozen of these, they are stellar.

One can appreciate Yamahas for consistency and reliability....but between a 32 and a Grassi 2G Pro....

This is really no contest. Nothing about the former comes close to exceeding the attributes of the latter.

Grab the Grassi, it's a good price.

I had never heard of Grassi. How long were they in business? This kind of stuff is fascinating.

All very nice, but is it still for sale?

In reply to the OP: they are both valid choices, I would go for the one in better playing condition. They are both (probably!) been around a long time (10-20 years?) and if the pads are still original, it is questionable they would play at their best. From what I can gather from the original post, if you don't have any experience of playing or what to look for, it is very much a gamble...
From a purely resale value point of view, the YAS would be the sensible choice.
Just my 2p, please make your own mind and take all advice with a pinch of salt!

Back
Top Bottom