support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones YAS 275 vs Bauhaus Walstein bronze alto-Anyone compared them?

Pyrografix

Senile Member
Hi Folks,
I'm learning with on a YAS275 (playing about Grade 4-5 level) was thinking about moving on to a YAS 32 or 475 if one came up at the right price. But then I read some reviews about the BW bronze and am sorely tempted to give it a go ....... Has anyone compared them or can offer some advice? Looking for a more mellow sound if poss. I'm in NE Scotland so no easy access to good music shops to try one.
Any advice/opinions appreciated!
Cheers

I think the Mauriat might prove a tad expensive (couple of grand new, not many around second hand?) given what Pyrografix is thinkig about buying.

A bit of a half-arsed comparison, but I have a BW curved sop, and have in the past played a Yam 275 and had a Yam YAS 21 for a while. For my money the BW stacks up pretty well. On my BW the intonation is not as good as the Yamaha, but the tone is more mellow and it's great for the money. The slight intonation issues I have had are not too bad, don't stop me playing it or even make me bothered about getting it fettled, and may well be a one-off. However, a YAS32 or 475 will undoubtedly sell on better if you want to upgrade again.

Dunno how much cash you have to spend, but another resonable option might be to keep your eyes peeled for an older YAS62 in good nick. These sometimes crop up in music shops at pretty good prices, and would be as good a sax as you'd ever need. You really would have to travel to get one though.

If you want to buy completely mail order without playing, then I think you're going to have to buy new. For my money (and I bought my sop without trying it) I'd get a BW from either Woodwind and Brass or Studio Saxophones. The latter is run by Peter Scaddon who posts on this site. Ask for whoever you buy from to check the sax thoroughly, but be prepared to have to send it back for the odd tweak.

Good luck.

Jon

Hi pyrografix

If it helps you I have bought two YAS's on ebay a 25 for £400 and a 62 for £830 both were immaculate and played like a dream straight out of the case I later sold the 25 on for what I paid for it and that's about the money to expect to pay unless you are going for the latest model 62 which tend to be quite a lot more maybe £1200 to £1300.I hope this helps you...john

ps I've just looked on ebay and there are a few 62's for sale and one seems to be brand new for about £1400 which shows you that the others are over priced for what they are definitely not the new model I doubt they will sell for those prices just take your time and keep looking and you will find one at the right price

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi There!

Never mind about the YAS62 - one of the best Altos currently available is a used Borgani at www.saxheaven.co.uk in Oxford - it is 4 years old, excellent nick and selling for less than £1500 (new they are currently £3000+) - they are handmade in Italy and this one is gold plated. If I didn't already have an Alto I would have bought it by now. Pete Thomas recommends one of the more expensive BW altos. A YAS62 would be a good choice - I have seen them for about £800 - I'll have a look online and see how I get on. Personally I think that a YAS475 is a waste of time - get a pro sax and get on with it!

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

I have found a used YAS62 on www.preloved.co.uk for £1095. Look under "Making Music" and "Saxophones".

Thanks very much for all of your advice. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a reasonably priced YAS62 so if you know of one out there, please let me know.

There's one advertised at www.saxheaven.com (the shop you told me about Tom) for £775 described as follows: Original & Best Purple logo model. Super condition. lacquer 99%+. Recent professional Service. Plays SUPERB. Complete original case in Super condition. RECOMMENDED BUY.

I would guess that its an older model - is that good or bad??

There are two models of yas62. Many consider the original purple logo to be the best. Same with the tenors. However as far as I'm concerned it's all web-lore, not someting I know from first hand. Could well be true though. Certainly if it's really as described, you won't go wrong. And it'll be easy to sell it on if you decide that it's not right for you.

Hi pyro

That sounds a good buy for the money but I found one on ebay if it's still there it's the latest model and the guy wants £1000 for a straight buy or offers, sale no 320537853218 worth a look at...john

sorry the £1000 is wrong but it is only at £820 at the moment but that may fly at the end still worth a good look

Thanks for looking for me. I've been in contact with that seller through the week but unfortunately he's not willing to post the sax or send it by courier (I even offered the full asking price!)-one of the disadvantages of living so far north, I'm afraid!

Hi Pyro,
Concerning the bronze walstein alto, i reckon the best man to ask about that is Stephen Howard at www.shwoodwind.co.uk He has tested one and he might still have his report on it. It was from his website that i got his views on the Tenor, which i then bought. And i'm very glad i did, it's a lovely sax for the money. I would say it's easily as good as the S.M.L. 2001 tenor i used to own and that was a pro model and three times the price. It can't hurt to ask.
Compound.

Thanks for looking for me. I've been in contact with that seller through the week but unfortunately he's not willing to post the sax or send it by courier (I even offered the full asking price!)-one of the disadvantages of living so far north, I'm afraid!

Hi pyro

I feel really sorry for you what a bargain that was, maybe you should of bought it any way and sorted pick up later I would have thought that one of the forum members might have picked it up for you and posted it on to you.

Never mind just keep yor eyes peeled for another I will, I'm always on ebay if I spot another I'll let you know.john

Hi pyro

I feel really sorry for you what a bargain that was, maybe you should of bought it any way and sorted pick up later I would have thought that one of the forum members might have picked it up for you and posted it on to you.

Never mind just keep yor eyes peeled for another I will, I'm always on ebay if I spot another I'll let you know.john

Cheers, John,
I was gutted when I saw how little it had sold for! I even looked into getting a cheap flight down to collect it, but there was nothing available. Please keep me in mind if you're trawling through ebay, and I'll let you know if I find anything meantime.

Ah yes, the legendary purple-logo'd YAS62.

I blew all my earnings from my first pro tour on one c. 1983. Never even been tempted to buy another alto, still plays like an absolute dream.

But sorry, you can't have it.

Back
Top Bottom