All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Yanigasawa T901 Beginnger Instrument for Mel B

MellowD

Lost In Theory
A former client of mine (I was a therapist) decided she would help me out after a long illness by suggesting I loan and learn with her tenor sax. I was mortified when I recognised the brand and therefore value! I'm now in a training band at the grand age of - well I've a few years before I hit anything too dramatic, surrounding by forgiving youngsters! I hope I'll be able to have an invite to upgrade to the Concert Band soon enough though I respect thats down to my own practice commitment too.

Save to say I'm £owning said Tenor and adore it. I'd like to get an alto too, but uncertain what to go for. After the Yani, I feel I'd be unhappy with anything too basic, and yet I also have to consider the £cost in real terms. Any recommendations for me with £500-£700 to spend? What should I look for to avoid perilous mistakes?

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Hi Mel, big welcome from me. Good to hear you've recovered.

You could consider a used sax, but even then I don't think you'll find another yani in that price range. Good thing about getting a matched pair is they play similarly..

The usual recommendation is Bauhaus Walstein, used yamahas have many fans, and I won't spoil the other's fun by making their recommendations for them. And there's an alto on pass-around which is getting very good reviews.

Try before you buy...

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff©, Mel.

Is it fun being a therapist?

ENJOY!™

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyrografix

Senile Member
Hi Mel,

Welcome to this madhouse.

I'm a BW fan and would recommend their alto (as well as the rest of the range!), but there are plenty of others available.

Cheers,

Amanda

TomMapfumo

Hi Mel!

A Big Welcome from the Skabertawe Horn Section down by yer in Wales, mind! Bauhaus Walstein rules in that price range - slightly used Tenors can be found for about £500 and are well worth it. Same with BW Altos - all excellent saxes (I have two BW Soprano saxes which I love). Best to avoid Vintage at this stage - because of ergonomics and possibly higher maintenance costs.

Be nice to get to know you a bit more, not just your current sax dilemma. But that can wait.
Kind regards
Tom:thumb:

MellowD

Lost In Theory
Sounds like I'll be giving serious search on the Bauhaus then! I've also posted for information on anyone who has tried the Gear4Music premium Rosedale offering. Although I am painfully aware that this is because my budget would then allow me to have both an intermediate Soprano and professional Alto - according to their listing claims anyhow. I'm just being cheap and greedy maybe????

TomMapfumo

The G4Music saxes do seem to have good write-ups and are the same price as the BW's were when they started out. The Academuy Jericho Alto sax seems to have very positive write ups and would in all likelihood be the cheaper one I'd go for. The BW tenor can be purchased new for £605 at South Wales Woodwind at least.

Regards
Tom

MellowD

Lost In Theory
Unsure that 'fun' is the word. Satisfying that I did something for someone to make a positive change for them is more the groove. For instance, with the lady who loaned me the Yani Tenor, I helped her build the confidence to join a Concert Band, and then progress to an Orchestra and now she's having a fabulous life going on tour. She concentrates on Clarinet family now and has abandoned her sax, which has now become mine - so maybe that's where the 'fun' bit of therapy has come in ??

MellowD

Lost In Theory
Thanks for all this input Tom. Greatly appreciated. I'm just waiting to see how much £compensation is coming in and I'm choosing to allocate a certain amount to something to give me joy - so I choose sax!

What would you say would be your considerations for choosing between having a curved or a straight sop as I see you have one of each? (please don't say have one of each at this stage grrrrrrrrr as the other part of my money will be for alto first hee hee)

old git

Tremendous Bore
Mai,
It takes a really brave soul or an idiot to offer criticism of their purchased brand. The good bit is that incredibly few crits of the Yannies.

Zeus

Hello Mel, welcome to the cafe, you have a wonderfull sax, but also a very pretty avatar, what flower is it by the way? Idk

MellowD

Lost In Theory
Hello Mel, welcome to the cafe, you have a wonderfull sax, but also a very pretty avatar, what flower is it by the way? Idk
Hi there Zeus

Thank you. I've been very fortunate to have been loaned this sax as my very first experience, and now agreed to have it sold to me.

The flower is being researched. A friend took a photo of it at a church recently and said they thought of me (how nice eh? or working up to ask a favour?) Neither of us know what it is yet. So if anyone else reading this does ................ you know the routine :)

Mel

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
How about a John Packer Alto sax?

http://www.johnpacker.co.uk/Catalog...ophone/Student/JP041-Alto-Saxophone-Eb-101569

I have the Yani A901 alto, the one that matches your tenor, but my Bari is a John Packer JP044. I picked it up 2nd hand aged 4 months old a year ago, and it's the instrument I play in 4 of the 5 groups that I play in.

I can't fault it really.
I guess as a cheap Bari, its tuning is a little off at one end or the other, but not so far off that it's bad.

I would like to think that their altos are more in tune through the range.

MellowD

Lost In Theory
Thanks. I've looked at that, though I've been recommended by my music director to look more towards an intermediate rather than a student/beginner level instrument. I can afford to spend double what this one costs, and would like to see if I can get a second hand, intermediate for the price.

All advice is still gratefully received and taken on board though, for absolutely sure!!

Mel

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom