All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Reeds Yanigasawa Soprano Sax mouthpiece/reed recommendations?

Luluna

Señora
Subscriber
It's that time of year again, back at the college sitting in... this year I'm alternating between Bari/Alto and now Soprano in the Jazz Ensemble. We are playing some challenging Gordon Goodwin pieces and I've never seen so many sharps in a key sig, or so many sixteenth notes... musical sudoku for the nearly aged...

Last time I asked for advice on a new mouthpiece in the forum it was spot on. I don't live near any shops and must order over the internet....

I typically play harder reeds, but upon Pete's fine suggestion, I am on a smaller number reed with different size MP....

The soprano is a Yani with 2 different necks - help?

Kind regards...

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Hi stranger, hope Irene didn't give you too many problems.

No idea here, but before the others ask, which mouthpiece is it? Size/metal/rubber etc.

Pyrografix

Senile Member
I'm no expert as I only 'play' at playing the soprano. But I took my sop along on a course last week where it was played by the tutor and he was hugely impressed by this cheaper-end model, because of the mouthpiece I bought along with it - Vandoren V16 S7, with a Vandoren Java 2.5 reed.
Unfortunately I didn't get to hear what it sounded like in the hands of an expert as I was away having a lesson on my tenor!
Cheers,
Amanda

Luluna

Señora
Subscriber
Hey Kev,

Goodnight Irene! We were very lucky, no one was hurt and the house escaped major damage... the maple trees were not so lucky and neither were many towns - houses over a hundred years old were simply washed away. However, Vermonters are very strong and stick together... without any government help, neighbors and citizens cleared the roads with chainsaws and evacuated neighbors to safety. Tomorrow we are assembling supplies for people who have simply lost everything. Thanks for asking - enough Irene...

I don't know what the mouthpiece will be (I'm assuming it's a stock piece) the new baby gets delivered next week (if UPS can pass the roads)...

I haven't played a sop in forever, and am in a state of panic - they plopped the 1st Alto parts and Sop parts on my stand - ever see a Gordon Goodwin chart? I was sweating.

I prefer a rubber mouthpiece, and was wondering what other sop players in the forum might recommend? Otherwise I'm ordering blind.

Hope you are well!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
oops, misread it, I only saw reed.... :headscratch:

Good to hear you're well. And not too badly affected. :clapping:

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
I'm mostly playing one of Pete's PPT 7s at the mo - with Jazz Select 3S. I've also got a metal Brancher J17 and an ebonite Bari 66. I guess for what you're doing a Bari might be worth a try. The stock Yanag mouthpiece might well be ok. They've improved considerably since I got my S6 nearly 30 years ago.

TomMapfumo

Contact Joe Giardullo at Soprano Planet and get him to make you a mouthpiece. He is a fantastic guy and makes fantastic pieces with just the sound you want. I had been playing a Vandioren V16 S6 and a Berg Larsen HR 70/1 and love a Jan Garbarek sound. His Via Coro piece is amazing and I cannot imagine playing anything else. He charges about $240 and will adapt any piece until it is just as you like it. I play it with a Marca Jazz 3. I've played a Yani HR and several others - no comparison.

Have a look at his website - he is a pro soprano/sopranino player and really great to relate to.
Hope this helps
Tom

Gandalfe

Regarding the two necks, my wife the clarinetist prefers the straight one as it is more clarinet like. I, the predominantly sax player, prefer the slightly bent neck as it presents the mouthpiece table and reed at a more favorable angle for me. The two have the exact same sound. And some players actually prefer the curvy sop to the straight because the sound is coming at them. I like the ease in removing the straight sop from the the stand myself.

Mouthpieces are way too personal to suggest a particular one. Unless you are talking with world-class teacher, you might want to try a number of them out. The good news is that many play pretty much the same, so all you have to decide is are you a soloist: you'd want an edgy maybe open piece or an ensemble member, you'd want something that blends with the group. No matter what you decide, you are going to have to spend the time on the piece doing long tones (soft to loud to soft) with a tuner, and octave jumps to get used to the mouthpiece and reed combination.

Because I double a lot, I tend to use Plasticover reeds on my sop that has to be ready for that one solo in a set. I usually don't have time to futz with the reed. Legere, Bari, Hahn, Fibercell and other synthetics could be tested but that's an expensive exercise. I have some decent tasting disinfectant spray that I carry around so that when an opportunity to try someone else's setup occurs, we are ready. This kind of testing has saved me a lot of money and time.

Contacting Joe Giardullo at Soprano Planet as Tom suggests would be wonderful, but remember, it takes a long time to tryout a piece and reed combination. And as your sound develops you might go through a lot of phases depending upon who you are listening to and favoring this week.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luluna

Señora
Subscriber
Thanks everyone for the detailed replies! As I am somewhat isolated, I will have to take a chance and see how it goes. Will order an a couple sizes of plasticover reeds (I like those also) and see how the stock mouthpiece feels and go from there? Will report back after the Yani arrives. :)

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Hi Lori,
Thought of you and yours when they mentioned Irene on the news. Glad you didn't have too much trouble.
I'd second what Nick said. The stock Yanagisawa pieces are nice so wait on until it arrives before you spend any more dollars. Having said that I've only played their alto and tenor mouthpieces.
Andrew

TomMapfumo

I used to have a Yani stock mouthpiece which is good enough - I would describe it as middle of the road, and that there is nothing to object to in it. I have simply found others to have more character.

BigMartin

For what it's worth, I'm having a lot of fun with a Rico Royal (graftonite) B7 mp on my cheapo sop and Rico Royal 2.5 reeds. The mouthpiece will set you back less than 15 quid (or a small number of dollars) so it would be a cheap experiment to compare it with the Yanagisawa.

TomMapfumo

I have owned and played both the Rico and the Yani. The Rico was slightly brighter than the Yani, but not much different apart from that.
It may be that the Yani, being quite a mellow piece, can cover up any tendency for the soprano/player to sound shrill. I can see that the Yani is likely to blend quite easily in a band setting with other saxes FWIW.

Jack

Some here don't like Links, but I have been playing an Otto Link 6* and have gotten a much brighter sound on my soprano, and intonation has been excellent.

Luluna

Señora
Subscriber
Hip Hip Hooray! It arrived in the mail today :) The stock mouthpiece seems okay, but the ligature was garbage. Tried it with a rubber band and the sound is nice and round with the curved neck (haven't tried the straight one yet). Having problems with the upper octave above G - but wondering if it isn't a function of my ad hoc ligature... mechanically it seems sound. Maybe I just need to calm down and try again.

:)

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
What was wrong with the supplied lig?

Rubber band should be ok but it might not be holding the reed firmly enough.

But, to be honest, it's probably just practice needed.

Luluna

Señora
Subscriber
What was wrong with the supplied lig?

Rubber band should be ok but it might not be holding the reed firmly enough.

But, to be honest, it's probably just practice needed.
The bottom screw on the supplied lig wouldn't loosen enough to let the reed in, fell out, and then stripped itself on the way back in. You're right about both the rubber band and the practice. It's like switching from driving a bus to driving a razor scooter! :)

Paul Warner

Hi...hope you`re sorted Luluna, but if not here`s my earful! Used to play the Yani sop a lot++. Tried everything, but ALWAYS went back to my Lawton metal 6*B with a variety of reeds depending on make and the nature of the gig, ranging from 2 to 3 or 3 1/2. I now play a Walstein copy of the Yani (hard to tell the difference, incidentally) and, again, always return to the Lawton. Oddly enough I`ve also played Lawtons on my tenors and baris and never liked them on those saxes.....just the sop!
Good luck.

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom