All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Saxophones yanagisawa t901

marshmite

i recently purchased a new yanagisawa tenor sax on cleaning the sax i noticed a small mark about 2 mm in size as if the laquer wsa missing i phoned the music shop and they assured me that lots of brass instruments have these marks and it is where the flux used in soldering has not been cleaned before plating.i would have expected a sax at this price to be perfect any comments would be welcome,mike edwards.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
I would not expect such a blemish under the lacquer on a horn that costs as much as a Yanagisawa. I believe they are wrong, whether you will get anywhere with them is another matter

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
One of the members had a similar problem with his Yani. Can't remember if it was Sunray or Johnboy, Sunray I think. Took a while, but he got a new sax out of them. I think his was worse than yours, though. Insist on the dealer taking it up with the importers.

griff136

i recently purchased a new yanagisawa tenor sax on cleaning the sax i noticed a small mark about 2 mm in size as if the laquer wsa missing i phoned the music shop and they assured me that lots of brass instruments have these marks and it is where the flux used in soldering has not been cleaned before plating.i would have expected a sax at this price to be perfect any comments would be welcome,mike edwards.

Having worked in a couple of decent music shops in London - I am firstly surprised that the mark either wasnt mentioned when the sax was sold (and a suitable discount offerred) or wasnt noticed when (or even worse - if) the sax was checked over prior to going on sale.

I am also concerned that the music shop in question can explain it away without even seeing the blemishI It is true that brass instruments can suffer the effects of acid bleed where the flux hasnt been neutralised/cleaned sufficiently, however I would not expect to see it on a new instrument and they shouldn't be apparent for at least a few years IMHO.

Have you a picture of said blemish you could share?

I would take it back to the shop and see what they can do after all if you purchased a new car, got it home and there was some bubling under the paintwork you would take it back and get it touched up.

Out of curiosity, what model is it and where did you get it from?

Sunray

One of the members had a similar problem with his Yani. Can't remember if it was Sunray or Johnboy, Sunray I think. Took a while, but he got a new sax out of them. I think his was worse than yours, though. Insist on the dealer taking it up with the importers.

Yep - You're right there Kev ...

Here is a link to explain the episode [or part of it anyway] ... :)

Just keep insisting on either a repair, refund or replacement and don't take no for an answer ... :D

Good luck Mike ...

Last edited by a moderator:

jonf

You have every right to expect an instrument as expensive as a T901 to be in perfect shape. Personally, though, if it is one area of 2mm - which is about as big as this letter "o" is - I wouldn't bother about it.

Top Bottom