support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Sax Should I switch to Yamaha?

Woowar

Hi! I recently started playing tenor after playing alto for a couple of years. I upgraded my alto to a Yamaha last year and still love it.
I’m now playing a Trevor James classic tenor which I also love, but thinking it’s just not the same as the Yamaha
So now wondering if I should change to a Yamaha tenor, or another similar quality tenor, though not sure what this could be?
Any advice on these would be great, thank you

Which model Yamaha alto do you play out of interest.

If you switched your TJ to a Yamaha what's your likely budget and target model? Have you tried any Yamaha tenors? Would you buy new, used, do you need to p/ex?

Personally I think Yamaha are far superior to TJ in every way. But then Steve Howard swapped his long term YTS-23 for a Raw.

Hi. My alto is a yas23, it feels solid and sounds good. I was thinking I should stick around the same level, as still getting used to the tenor. There is a used yts25 for sale locally to me, it’s £530.
I don’t really know much about other brands, but don’t feel happy with the TJ

You would do well to try a few different saxophones in a shop to get a feel for what you like or don't - the TJ classic is a fairly cheap horn by TJ standards, the new equivalent (Classic II) is £900 vs the cheapest Yamaha (YTS280) comes in at £1400.

General consensus is that the older Yamaha's (certainly in the entry/mid range) are better than their current models.

What is it that you don't like about your tenor - is it something that a good setup might fix or is it something more fundamental?

There are more interesting tenor horns than Yamaha. Id keep the tj rather than flipping for a lower level Yam. Is the horn in good adjustment? Are you just having GAS?
The Yamaha is in good condition, recently checked out by a technician. I only have experience with th and Yamaha, which is why I don’t know what to do. I don’t know what other brands are similar or interesting

Since the YTS-25 is local and the price is good, then I would suggest trying it out if that is possible. Take your TJ along and compare them.
If the Yamaha feels a lot better then it sounds like a good deal, but if there isn't much difference then keep what you have got. Check the pads and whether there is movement in the keywork, but in any case expect to pay for a setup.

If the seller won't let you try the horn out, then I would definitely give it a miss.

Although many rave over the TJ Raw, it's a big step up in cost at around £2,000 used from a 23 or 25 at £5-600. I dare say there would be many other contenders in the Raw's price range, Selmer and Yany to name but two.

I've tried three TJ horns to dislike them, Revolution alto (tested), Raw alto (owned), and SR tenor (owned). My tutor also had an SR tenor and moved it on pretty quickly.

@Woowar - is the 25 the one in Whitley Bay, seller Chris? If not I'll send you a link to it.

Although many rave over the TJ Raw, it's a big step up in cost at around £2,000 used from a 23 or 25 at £5-600. I dare say there would be many other contenders in the Raw's price range, Selmer and Yany to name but two.
Indeed, and you also can't really compare a TJ Classic to a TJ Raw. Completely different saxes at opposite ends of the market.

A decent YTS25 is a fine sax. Personally, I wouldn't go for a YTS21 or 23, as they don't have a high F# key, which I find very useful, both for the F# and altissimo G, which is quite common in the stuff I like to play. The fingering using a high F# key makes it very easy to hit alt g. If it's in good nick, £530 is a good price.

I've tried three TJ horns to dislike them, Revolution alto (tested), Raw alto (owned), and SR tenor (owned). My tutor also had an SR tenor and moved it on pretty quickly.

@Woowar - is the 25 the one in Whitley Bay, seller Chris? If not I'll send you a link to it.
Hi, yes, he’s called Chris. There’s not a lot of photos but I think this is a good but? Thank you, you’re very helpful

Did you ask why he's selling, and who was the local woodwind technician who recently "checked it over"?

Maybe he's upgraded to whatever is in the pink case mysteriously hanging on the wall...

274224863_7482423845102837_1358899676292820125_n.jpg

...the room he took the photo in looks like a spare room or one being refurbished.
I'd be wary of the chance of damp looking at the wall behind. I always try and use whatever evidence is presented in ads to both check if it's a genuine sale (sometimes the sax or background isn't consistent between photos) or what life the sax is currently leading.

Hmm, good questions. I know of only one woodwind technician in the area. Not a lot of detail as to why he’s selling it, I will investigate further
My budget is £500-600 if you happen to see any decent tenors? Thank you so much

Unless your TJ is just not working properly, you'd likely get more difference from a change in mouthpiece and reeds.
Thank you. I have a Yamaha 5c mouthpiece and 2.5 Rico reed. The middle d is stuffy, improved a little when I changed reed from 2 to a 2.5, but still stuffy. I understand this is common with many horns

Thank you. I have a Yamaha 5c mouthpiece and 2.5 Rico reed. The middle d is stuffy, improved a little when I changed reed from 2 to a 2.5, but still stuffy. I understand this is common with many horns

It is also common among people with underdeveloped airstream and support. For tenor, especially, you need to blow THROUGH the horn, rather than into it.

Sometimes a stuffy middle D is resolved by adjusting the felt bumpers of the bell keys. Or you may have a tired reed.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom