PPT

Beginner Sax Yamaha?

lydian

Locality
USA
Thank you. I have a Yamaha 5c mouthpiece and 2.5 Rico reed. The middle d is stuffy, improved a little when I changed reed from 2 to a 2.5, but still stuffy. I understand this is common with many horns
It will be just as stuffy on a Yamaha. It's more correct to say a stuffy middle D is common with many PLAYERS, not horns. If I were you, I'd put my wallet away and practice. There's nothing wrong with the horn you've got.

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
Good point @Dr G - I've played alto for 10 years, dabbling with tenor when one came along, but when I became more determined to keep a tenor, and keep at it, the difference in technique was remarkable. I really had to relax my embouchure and learn a different way of blowing. It still gets me when switching back and forth between the two.

I'd still go try the Yamaha though, just for comparison and your knowledge bank. It's only 20 minutes away. Be careful of GAS though.

mizmar

Locality
Trondheim, Norway
At least Lydian and me, probably Pete. :cool:
... and everyone :)
I found it interesting because I, as a late beginner, change type of reed when I finish a box (so not to often) to learn and experiment. These really where a step change (compared to Rico and Vandoren).

Latest: Members' Recordings

Featured

Top Bottom