All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Saxophones Yamaha YTS61 fOLKLORE STATUS...Yes or No

Jamesmac

Hi All
Particularly those who have experience playing the 61 and 62 Tenor. how does a 40 yr old 61 in good playing condition compare ?

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
Great saxes. I owned a YTS 61 that were made in 75-76. Big sound. A model that is often used by saxplayere in the Rocksax fileld. One of my favourite saxplayer, David Woodford, is on a YTS 61.

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Locality
Manchester,England
Great saxes, my tutor tried my new 62 and didn't like it. Tried a 61 tenor and now he has GAS real bad haha.. He went out and bought one and now wants and Alto to match

Chris..

Linky Lee

Locality
Salisbury, UK
I've got an old 62 alto which I love to bits, my favourite instrument actually. It's got a great feel, blows free and easy and just follows you wherever you decide to take it.

Jamesmac

Thanks Guys for taking the time to comment.
I will be receiving one in the post in 3 to 5 days, {maybe} a 1963 YTS61. I made an offer of 800 quite a bit below his starting price of 1200. The pics show quite a bit of lacquer wear, and a strange { looks like moss around the serial no. } the pics were taken on the back porch. My thinking it needs a good clean and perhaps some work, but described as a good player. It’s a bit of a strange situation with this seller, as I havent paid for the horn yet , as there was a problem with his paypal account. Ie. Not claimed. So I cancelled the payment that evening when I had no answer to my emails. {Paypal told me he only needed to verify his address } Anyway I informed him of this the following day, and he emailed back, he will contact paypal and sort it out, next thing , I receive an ebay email to say the horn is dispatched, and asks for payment , the thing is I was going to pick up and save myself his 35 postal charge , but the invoice is for 800.So he is shouldering the postal costs. {if he did send it}

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251265834831?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

PS. Not mould/moss just a reflection

Last edited by a moderator:

Merryfisher

Locality
Hampshire
Hi All
Particularly those who have experience playing the 61 and 62 Tenor. how does a 40 yr old 61 in good playing condition compare ?

i am very honoured & priviliged to have both YTS 61 and an early 80s YTS 62 which i have gigged with for nearly 30 yrs. It has been a great horn - free & easy blowing yet soulful with a big voice. Bullet proof build quality, and sounding better the older it gets. The '61 is just as good, again free and easy blowing, but with perhaps a sweeter voice then the '62. I find the 61 feels a tad smaller under the fingers then the 62, but they are both really precise soulful horns that probably kid me into thinking i am a better player then in reality i am!

What do these vintage Yams go for? less then a grand! and the crazy thing is the really scruffy ones (like my '62) are the ones that sound the best (obviously with all working as it should).... pound for pound they have to be some the best horns ever, nailing a lot of far more expensive and newer horns.

Greg Strange

Locality
Hamilton, Waikato, North Island, New Zealand
Sorry Greg 1968

No problems mate I hope you enjoy the horn.

I don't really get caught up in all this folklore and mystic about various musical instruments e.g. '57 Strat, Selmer Mk VI, etc, about I think there is something special about the crimson/purple/red logo 61 and 62 series Yamaha horns - maybe Mr. Yamaha and the elves at Hammamatsu (sic) took a bit more time and effort into building these horns and creating great saxes.

The Yamaha saxes were first introduced into the US market reluctantly about 1970, I think the Americans at that time were trying to protect their diminishing sax manufacturing industry, and Yamaha presented Coltrane with a prototype alto on his 1966 / 1967 tour of Japan so it is quite possible the horn was from the late 1960s.

Cheers

Greg S.

Stephen Howard

Locality
UK
Hi All

Folklore status? Probably inevitable. Happens to pretty much all saxes once they're old enough...which, in my case, results in a succession of punters turning up at the workshop with crappy old saxes that were never much cop even in their day but which are now classed as 'vintage'.

Fortunately the 61 was a cracking sax in its day...and still is.

I would say that, for me, the 62 is slightly more refined in terms of tone and feel - a bit slicker, a bit more rounded. However, the price for that is a loss of some of the exuberance of the 61, and some of the sheer guts.
But that's with the same mouthpiece. Pop a different one on and you can tailor the response of each horn either way.

Can't go wrong...

Cheers,

Steve

Jamesmac

Thanks Steve, your input is allways appreciated.
BTW The first place I go is your site.

MMM

Locality
SW of London Town
Hi All

I have a photo of Branford Marsalis playing one: does it count as folklore status?

M.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom