All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Saxophones Yamaha YSS62

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Hi All

Has anyone played the Yam 62 soprano? Are they as good as I have read they are? Have they been bettered yet?

Is there any difference depending on when they were made.

Any opinions on these horns would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jx

tzadik

If you are into vintage horns, the Yamaha 62 (expecially the 62R) is probably the most reliable/appreciated vintage soprano.

... then it's a matter of taste. ;)

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
I had one and I regret selling it. Lovely instrument, beautifully in tune.

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
Go on elaborate, my tutor plays and rates the 62, but not so keen on the yani!

What do you prefer about them?:)

Jx
The sound.

Purely a personal thing. I like the sound of Yanagisawa sopranos. I like their baritones too. I like Keilwerth tenors. I'm not that fussed about altos but I play a Keilwerth and it's fine.

I'm sure 62s are very good saxes - it's a while since I last played one though.

BTW are they really vintage? I must be getting old. It doesn't seem that long since they first appeared.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tadpole

Jeanette, I am a great fan of Yams, and if I could afford it I would have a trio of customs. Yani's are good too, but I prefer the Yams. I tried a 62 sop when I was looking to buy a sop some years ago, and I thought they were terrific. I couldn't afford one I the end, and finished up buying a Jupiter. Now I know people are going to think I'm mad, but I swear to you that this thing was in tune straight out of the box, I tuned it when I first played it , marked the mouthpiece position, and I have never had to change it! It has been a brilliant instrument for me. However, I'm not suggesting you abandon the 62 in favour of the Jupe, if I could afford it, I would have a 62 tomorrow, but I am a bit biased, I just love Yams.

TomMapfumo

On the subject of intonation - http://www.saxgourmet.com/PaulCoatsArticles/soprano_saxophone_and_intonation.htm . Because of the scale issues involved it is generally a good idea to get a very decent mouthpiece and choose the correct reed hardness IMHO.

BTW I am still enjoying my Vintage Phosphur Bronze Bauhaus Walstein Curved Soprano that I've had since the 50's ( admittedly my 50's);}

Last edited by a moderator:

jonf

If you are into vintage horns, the Yamaha 62 (expecially the 62R) is probably the most reliable/appreciated vintage soprano.
Don't think I'd call a Yam 62 a vintage horn. YSS 62 was launched in 1979.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
On the subject of intonation - http://www.saxgourmet.com/PaulCoatsArticles/soprano_saxophone_and_intonation.htm . Because of the scale issues involved it is generally a good idea to get a very decent mouthpiece and choose the correct reed hardness IMHO.

BTW I am still enjoying my Vintage Phosphur Bronze Bauhaus Walstein Curved Soprano that I've had since the 50's ( admittedly my 50's);}

Thanks Tom

I think you are right my current mouthpiece is a Rico Royal B5. I looked at the soprano planet website you posted on my other thread. I just couldn't decide which one!

Jx

Last edited:

TomMapfumo

Hi J!

The good thing about Soprano Planet is communicating with Joe, who is a fount of knowledge and experience. I went for the Via Coro as I wanted a Jan Garbarek friendly sound and this was Joe's recommendation. It easily produces the best intonation of any soprano mouthpieces I've played and Joe does take into account what sax you play etc. etc. Do feel free to email hime and discuss what you are looking for in some detail - bright, dark, mellow, edgy etc. Which soprano players you most like etc.

He also will work until the sound is just what you want.
Regards
Tom

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Hi J!

The good thing about Soprano Planet is communicating with Joe, who is a fount of knowledge and experience. I went for the Via Coro as I wanted a Jan Garbarek friendly sound and this was Joe's recommendation. It easily produces the best intonation of any soprano mouthpieces I've played and Joe does take into account what sax you play etc. etc. Do feel free to email hime and discuss what you are looking for in some detail - bright, dark, mellow, edgy etc. Which soprano players you most like etc.

He also will work until the sound is just what you want.
Regards
Tom
I think it was the part about taking in to account the sax you play that set me off thinking if he is going to work hard on a mouthpiece for me it would be no good changing sax 6 months later so started looking for an upgrade to my TJ Rev 11!!

Jx

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
I think it was the part about taking in to account the sax you play that set me off thinking if he is going to work hard on a mouthpiece for me it would be no good changing sax 6 months later so started looking for an upgrade to my TJ Rev 11!!
Jx
Good news about soprano is that "student" Yanagisawa can easily be a professional level instrument.
My gear in the years: YSS 62R, Yana curved (bought for the different sound), JP (backup instrument).

YSS62 was sold one year after I acquired the Yana.

If I had do choose a new straight soprano now, I would go for a one-piece instrument. I think yamaha introduced one recently and a basic Yanagisawa should still be one piece. As a second hand, both brands make excellent horns.

Nowadays they are in the same price range of altos and tenors. First time I came across a yss62 it costed much more than the tenor.

Paul Warner

I have to concur with Nick....up to a point. Years ago I played every available soprano on the market because in those days (late 80`s) it was the horn I got called on a lot. I ended up buying a Yanigasawa SC880 with the twin necks. It was undoubtedly the best on the market and I kept it until two years ago. However, we are all different and you may find the Yami a good choice. So try it...then try the Yanis (with your favourite m/p. a couple of good reeds and, preferably, a knowledgeable friend who may hear something you`ve missed).
Good luck and have fun.

TomMapfumo

Found this discussion on Sax on the Web, comparing the Yamaha with a Selmer. The verdict seems to be that the Yamaha has the build quality and the Selmer has the sound quality, according to our American cousins: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...ano-vs-Mark-VI-soprano&highlight=Yamaha+YSS62

I'm with Pete on preferring the Bauhaus Walstein Soprano. The money I saved paid for an alto sax, a tenor sax, a trumpet and a trombone, which was nice........................:thumb:

Pete C

I'm very happy with the sound and intonation on my Selmer series ii soprano. I tried one of the newest Yanis while choosing a mouthpiece before I began my hunt for a sop and thought the sound was thin. I owned a yam sop many years ago and never really liked that either.

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom