support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Yamaha YSS475 information?

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Café Supporter
Locality
The Malverns, Worcs
Does anyone play a yamaha YSS475 soprano or have any experience of one?

We are thinking of buying a straight sop for my daughter.

I have been advised that sops can be difficult intonation-wise, and to go for the best we can afford.
She has perfect-pitch and our teacher has suggested that she would make a good sop player because of this.
She already plays clarinet.

Anyway, any advice about the YSS 475 would be really useful. Thanks.

Does anyone play a yamaha YSS475 soprano or have any experience of one?

We are thinking of buying a straight sop for my daughter.

I have been advised that sops can be difficult intonation-wise, and to go for the best we can afford.
She has perfect-pitch and our teacher has suggested that she would make a good sop player because of this.
She already plays clarinet.

Anyway, any advice about the YSS 475 would be really useful. Thanks.

Hey Mandy,

This maybe of some help...

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Sop/Yamaha_YSS475.htm

No personal experience on my part - these horns retail brand new in NZ for NZD4,500.00 to NZD5,000.00 (that's about GBP2,250.00 to GBP2,500.00),:shocked:

Actually Davey used to have one of these (as well as every other horn known to mankind:))) )

Actually I don't think having perfect pitch will make you are good soprano player just plenty of practise...you don't play a soprano you basically try and tame it...

Cheers,

Greg S.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was talking to my tutor about them last night as one of his students has one. He thought it was very well built but quite heavy. I would suggest she try a few, as weight can be more of an issue on straight sops and harder to alleviate (or perhaps I am just a weakling). FWIW I prefer the plastic thumb hook on my current one as it is more comfortable than the metal one I had on my TJ.

Jx

I have played one for a short while, it belonged to a customer: to be honest with you (I don't play sop very much) it felt and played very much like my old YSS62 , and these (the YSS62) are considered to be some of the best sops ever made (but I'm sure there's a bit of hype in there!). Tuning as with all Japanese saxes is never an issue.
So if the straight sop suits for comfort, weight (although they have a strap hook if weight is an issue), etc, then you cannot go wrong with the 475.
Cheers,
M.

The YSS 475 sops are fantastic.There 1 of the best sops ever been made.Theres soooo many pro's use them for a good reason.Buy 1 and your sorted.Certain companys make certain horns that really stand out and the 475 sop is 1 of them.

This is good advice,i have not had any experience with the 475 but regard the Yani sops to be the best on the planet and they are not too much more but play great,intonation is great and they are very fine horns,i have owned one for over 10 years and have played nothing since that has come close.

Mouthpiece as well as mouthpiece position seems to have a big effect on intonation on sops. I'm on my third sop now. Some sops, despite a decent mouthpiece seem to be beyond redemption for bad intonation.

For me, Yamaha 4cm worked well, PPT works well. Selmer (I think it was a soloist, don't have it any more) worked well. The cheapo throwaways don't seem to be good. And sound terrible. I've got a Yani sitting around waiting to be tried as well (but I like the PPT so much I haven't even put it on the sax). I also found that a good mouthpiece allows you to blow through many leaks (but not all).

I don't think you'll go wrong with the 475. But maybe, just maybe, you can find a used yss62 for similar money.

Mouthpiece as well as mouthpiece position seems to have a big effect on intonation on sops. I'm on my third sop now. Some sops, despite a decent mouthpiece seem to be beyond redemption for bad intonation.

For me, Yamaha 4cm worked well, PPT works well. Selmer (I think it was a soloist, don't have it any more) worked well. The cheapo throwaways don't seem to be good. And sound terrible. I've got a Yani sitting around waiting to be tried as well (but I like the PPT so much I haven't even put it on the sax). I also found that a good mouthpiece allows you to blow through many leaks (but not all).

I don't think you'll go wrong with the 475. But maybe, just maybe, you can find a used yss62 for similar money.

Hey if you see a YSS62 at that price i'll buy it !!!!!!!! they go go for wayyyy more than that.There a true legend of a soprano,loved by many.

Hey if you see a YSS62 at that price i'll buy it !!!!!!!! they go go for wayyyy more than that.There a true legend of a soprano,loved by many.

There's one on ebay at the moment. Sadly it's in the US, so risk, postage and customs would kill it, but it's not far off the new price of a 475. They can be had for that.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Yamaha-Yss-6...aultDomain_0&hash=item2a2b10234d#ht_60wt_1399

Here's another

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-YS...ultDomain_0&hash=item4171b9faa7#ht_613wt_1399

Both on buy it now...

There's one on ebay at the moment. Sadly it's in the US, so risk, postage and customs would kill it, but it's not far off the new price of a 475. They can be had for that.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Yamaha-Yss-6...aultDomain_0&hash=item2a2b10234d#ht_60wt_1399

Here's another

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-YS...ultDomain_0&hash=item4171b9faa7#ht_613wt_1399

Both on buy it now...

well these were way above the price of a secondhand 475..........which is really predictable!

I have just got one in in as good as new state :)!

I am a bit biased, but I would seriously recommend my endorsee (Sequoia), unless you find a real bargain with a second hand Yss62 or a Yanagisawa.

We have just collected a YSS475 on hire from County Music Services. At £9 a month, at least she can decide if she gets on with it before we have to outlay any significant money. Many thanks for all the positive comments.

We have just collected a YSS475 on hire from County Music Services. At £9 a month, at least she can decide if she gets on with it before we have to outlay any significant money. Many thanks for all the positive comments.

Sounds like a great deal.She will enjoy it.Yamahas are so nice to play.

Best deal ever. So she can develop her own taste on sopranos.

So who else is playing Sequoia horns,any known people ?

Not that I am aware of, except few professionals in Slovenia and Croatia. It is a very localized business.
I don't know about Germany.

And our Fabrizio D'Alisera has one as a backup horn.

Just looked on their web site couldn't find any prices, seems a bit strange but may be me bad at navigating ...John

Back
Top Bottom