PPT mouthpieces

Yamaha YDS-150 Wind Synth

There have been plenty of demos and discussions about this, and much of the discussion has been negative.

I do not consider this a saxophone at all, any more than my midi keyboard is a piano.

Keep reading through, there are many comments and updated information. Nearly four months have passed since I got the YDS-150 and much has been learned. There are now 25 audio tracks of several music styles, and 13 YouTube videos after several days with the YDS-150.

(Original post): I have had about two hours total to play around with this, and I intend to do several other tests, but this is an initial first look.

The instrument has its weak points, amply discussed elsewhere (sounds aren't particularly good, it doesn't do MIDI, it doesn't have a lip sensor, etc.), but I will try to discover the less obvious things and hands-on feature evaluations. It's obviously a solution to practice when your living conditions don't allow you to play your saxophones. I think practicing with this is useful, but others may not. What you are able to practice is fingering and coordination between breath and hands.

YDS2.jpg

[EDIT: it does MIDI via USB and it works very well, especially via USB]

It comes with a soft case, an extra 'reed' and a set of three 'O' rings for the neck that holds the mouthpiece.

For all the technical information, you can get the owner's manual PDF in several languages from Yamaha. I will try to answer any questions anyone has.

There's a tube in the bell that releases the condensed moisture, see the little round thing in the photo. I mention this because certain trumpet or soprano stands, like the Hercules have a knob at the top that will interfere with the tube. I bought the K&M "Legs in Bell" trumpet stand which is a good fit. The tube is flexible and will move a little to accomodate the stand.

TDS-150 moisture outlet tube

The feel of the instrument

It's nice and light, but feels very sturdy in build quality. In the hands, it's very close to the feel of a saxophone. I find it feels very nice. I also think that it should have been in a bright color, but I can think of many reasons they wouldn't do that. The mouthpiece seems to identical to a Yamaha 4C alto piece. Pulling the mouthpiece off reveals no cork, but three O rings holding it on. There's a reed and ligature. The manual tells us not to use any other mouthpiece, so naturally, we tried, and it plays fine with my Syos 3D printed piece. I mention this because maybe some players would prefer to use a mouthpiece they are used to. It makes no difference to the sound, because the reed isn't vibrating or controlling the sound. In fact, it played the same with a one centimeter gap between the tip and the mouthpiece tip! Disconcerting, but nothing matters but wind.

Pairing needs to be fixed.

Setting up with the app

I had and still have trouble pairing the bluetooth connection in order to make changes to voice settings. I don't know if it's normal, but the app re-pairs with the instrument every time you try to connect. There is a check box asking if you want the YDS-150 to have access to your contacts and call history. I can only think that this is something to do with standard Android apps, because it would be insane to check that box!

Sound (voice) parameters YDS-150
You can save sets of voices and fingerings

Because the YDS-150 has space for user-configured sounds, it also has a way to save them under a name, so it's possible to have several sets of user sounds. Unfortunately, this would only be of interest if they update the firmware some day with better or different sounds or effects.

The interface to set these voices (user sounds) is pretty buggy and glitchy. Buggy in that the transpose thing doesn't always update the number of half steps of transposition. Glitchy, because it's easy accidentally hit the extreme end throwing you to the highest or lowest note. This needs to improve. The sliders should be replaced by someother mechanism.

I'm guessing the app itself will be updated for that, and hopefully soon. This is how beta products usually evolve. Picture the size of a phone and your finger on the transpose gadget in the voices settings in the screen shot below.

The Sounds

Well, here we are. Only a few are usable as is, and unhappily, they do NOT include a saxophone! That's right, there are a couple of flutes and harmonica sounds that I actually like. The rest are far inferior to a Yamaha sound module like the VL7m, but then, that's a box you have to drag around with a power supply, an amp and a proprietary cable. The YDS-150 is, if nothing else, very portable!

Playing with the speaker and Recording with a microphone

The effects don't appear to be on when using the speaker. I recorded two short segments for demonstration. They are probably as good (or bad) as any first-day tests. I added reverb and distortion to get sounds I "like". But they're not really saxophone sounds, are they? Also, note that when recording with a microphone, there may be key click sounds because the TDS-150 speaker output level is much softer than a saxophone, even at low ballad levels.

Practicing with the speaker is handy. You don't need headphones, but you don't disturb the other people around even playing through the built-in speaker, because it's not loud at full volume, and you can adjust it even lower. I believe practicing with the instrument is helpful, but many will probably not find it so. I tried playing with headphones, and that sounds better, as you have the effects. Unfortunately, like the sounds, the effects are not great. And one really bad thing is that vibrato automatically comes in on longer notes on most of the patches. There are only a few that do not do this, and they're all saxophone patches. This is a terrible idea, there should be a switch to turn that off! I understand that it would be more fun for beginners, though.

The Keys

The keys feel great. Surprise, there's a low A 'key'. Also surprise, you get low A by using the bottom part of the octave key. The WX5 has octaves both up and down, but the YDS-150 is up or low A. The YDS-150 plays an A when you finger it that 'key' with a low Bb. Another bad decision in my opinion, although I do like having a low A. The octave key takes a lot of getting used to, which is why first day trials won't be briliant, but I know you can get used to it.

Analogue controller
The Analog Controller

This is how you can bend notes, but that effect is definitely in synthesizer land, not a scoop. It's at 1 half step by default, but you can go full synthetic and set it to more distance. This is going to take a lot of practice, as it is next to the thumb rest. I found it harder than the WX-5, but it is certainly doable after some practice. I'd like to see Yamaha add a 1/4 tone and maybe even an 1/8 tone option to this parameter. That would make falls and scoops more realistic.

Odds and ends

I don't know how long the batteries last, but you can adjust the time before the instrument goes into standby mode. This is important, because if you go to answer the door or turn off the kettle, you might forget the instrument is on. There are several other things
I want to test and will add to this review:

• Use with a wireless transmitter/receiver pair.
  • Use with effects pedals
  • Getting familiar with using the keys for configuration. I only was able to turn on bluetooth with difficulty! There are other configuration parameters like breath strength-related settings, tuning, etc.
  • Using the app in all possible ways

Sounds great! When I record the audio from YDS-150 toLogic, I just have one stereo track that is the backing. I create an empty audio track, set it to record. Then I mix the level of the sax if needed, then export to a stereo audio file. It sounds like you are going through at least one extra step. Logic is the big sibling to Garage Band, they're very similar in operation.
Yes I have found that I can drop the backing track mp4 into GB and it will display the video whilst I am recording. I like you have one audio track which I play the yds to using an iRig2 to connect it to the macbook. The trick that I have found is to set the preferences in GB to input device Digital Sax. This means that the recorded track does not contain the mix of the backing track only the sax. If you do not do this then they are mixed in the yds and the mixed audio is recorded on the audio track. By stetting the input to digital sax, when I add effects like reverb or ambience they are only applied to the sax and not the backing track. Long burble but I hope it makes sense.

Yes I have found that I can drop the backing track mp4 into GB and it will display the video whilst I am recording. I like you have one audio track which I play the yds to using an iRig2 to connect it to the macbook. The trick that I have found is to set the preferences in GB to input device Digital Sax. This means that the recorded track does not contain the mix of the backing track only the sax. If you do not do this then they are mixed in the yds and the mixed audio is recorded on the audio track. By stetting the input to digital sax, when I add effects like reverb or ambience they are only applied to the sax and not the backing track. Long burble but I hope it makes sense.
BTW I have put a 3.5 splitter into the output analogue before the iRig2 so I can monitor in my headphones. There is no analogue output from the mac to the sax that is all handled by midi

You setup is more complicated because of the tablet, I guess. I go in to the computer through a digital audio interface, so monitoring the track without sax is easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds very good. Is it still the tenor sax output on the YDS-150?
Yes setting T04 on the sax. In GarageBand I fiddled with the equaliser to get the right sound. 3/4 Ambience 3/4 reverb EQ High Pitch halfway on low

Here's a wacky idea I haven't tried yet: intonation practice by setting the tuning off (say A = 453 which is the max you can sharp it) and using the analog controller to correct, or using the analog controller to blend with a drone--anyone tried these?

Is it possible to connect the YDS-150 to a VL70m Sound Module? I have seen the VL70m Sound Module connected to a WX5 and producing great sounds, any ideas?

Is it possible to connect the YDS-150 to a VL70m Sound Module? I have seen the VL70m Sound Module connected to a WX5 and producing great sounds, any ideas?
This has been discussed in a few places. I think this would work: Miditech USB MIDI Host – Thomann UK

Or maybe this is better for the UK:

Moved YDS150 audio output posts to new thread

@shamba504424 @randulo @Veggie Dave @mizmar @Jeanette

NB: I think you may need to resubscribe to (ie "watch") the thread to continue receiving notifications

Last edited:
Really great, what did you recorded it through? DAW? and settings please on the YDS
Recorded to Logic, which is GB's big brother. Used T02 with distortion, limiter, echo and reverb. I think it sounds more like an alto!

Back
Top Bottom