All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Yamaha Summer School Cornwall 2012

Philly123

Hi all, does anyone know anything about this or is anybody here going? It looks like a residential jazz course/workshop. It's taking place in a few weeks (don't know if there are places left although the website suggests there are lots left) I can't see much detailed information about the course programme and wondered if anyone on this forum knows any more.

Philly123

Hi Kev,

I thought it was a good price for a week. I noted the bit about having 2 years experience. I started to learn to play a little over 2 years ago. My only concern is that there's an assumption that having 2 years experience means that you're a relatively 'okay' player and I'm far from that! Might try to give them a ring on MOnday

TomMapfumo

I notice that one of the tutors is Andy Hague (trumpet) - really good musician and nice chap, too. I have a CD signed by his band (Andy Hague Quintet - "Sun and Air") which is very good, indeed. Also love Falmouth.

Philly123

Hi Tom, how are you? I met you once, don't know if you remember, it was at a Swansea Jazz Club thing. I've also met Andy Hague before. I attended one of his courses in Bridgewater last year - some of the other tutors were involved also. It was really good. I'm not sure I could goto Cornwall now - hubby and kids sorted but can't find anywhere for dog (mad boxer, known locally as 'Asbo'). I think I might try to just find a tutor to have a few hours individual tuition. Do you know anyone in Cardiff area?

Cobard71

Wow, sounds a great week! A date for next year's diary. Jazz schools.co.uk do similar course they do a two week program in Northampton. You can do one day or few days. From £75 per day. 27th August until 1st september 2012.

Last edited by a moderator:

TomMapfumo

Hi Tom, how are you? I met you once, don't know if you remember, it was at a Swansea Jazz Club thing. I've also met Andy Hague before. I attended one of his courses in Bridgewater last year - some of the other tutors were involved also. It was really good. I'm not sure I could goto Cornwall now - hubby and kids sorted but can't find anywhere for dog (mad boxer, known locally as 'Asbo'). I think I might try to just find a tutor to have a few hours individual tuition. Do you know anyone in Cardiff area?

Of course I remember you - cornet mouthpiece and so on! In Cardiff there is Ruth Appleby - http://www.musicteachers.co.uk/teacher/425ff16b6868924d57c8 and Gavin Fitzjohn - http://www.musicteachers.co.uk/teacher/c548661b905977e814a8 who would be worth contacting, to have a chat and perhaps an initial lesson - see how they sound on the 'phone.

Kind regards
Tom :thumb:

Philly123

Wow, sounds a great week! A date for next year's diary. Jazz schools.co.uk do similar course they do a two week program in Northampton. You can do one day or few days. From £75 per day. 27th August until 1st september 2012.
Ooh, that sounds interesting. Will google.

Philly123

For anyone interested in the Yamaha Summer School, it seems that there are some places left. My decision has been made for me - car just failed MOT - 4 new tyres and a set of road springs! So have decided not to go and am in process of arranging to have a couple of individual lessons that week instead. I'm quite excited as I've never had proper lessons before.

TomMapfumo

Hi there!

Sorry to hear about your car. I hope that the lessons go well. I've only had two sax teachers and the second was absolutely superb. Finding a good teacher is really great, so hope that your works out!
Kind regards
Tom:thumb:

Top Bottom