Supporting   special needs music

Yamaha model YAS 567

AVert

Hello,

I just found this group online when I was searching for info on my sax. I am from NJ, am a 55 year old who's been playing alto on and off since 4th grade! My husband gifted me with a Yamaha YAS 567 almost 15 years ago. It was my first new Sax ever. Almost from the beginning it always sounded like the B and C keys sounded flat, and the B flat can be an issue too. In the years I've owned it I keep having the same issues and have had it repaired three times. The left handed keys never sound "right" to me and I have to blow much harder than I should. There were leaks detected and repaired. I now have the same issues and it seems it is worse than ever. I was playing Sleigh Ride at a concert today and the horn pretty much quit on me. I cannot produce any sound in the upper octave and most other notes sound like I am muffling the sound that comes out ( for lack of a better description). Can anyone help me with info on this model? Was it poorly produced? Are these just chronic problems with this model- any and all input or information would be GREATLY appreciated. It's extremely frustrating when you can't get your instrument to make music. Thank you!!!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Sorry, sounds like you need to find a better tech. If the upper and lower stacks aren't in tune with each other, there's a chance that the mouthpiece doesn't match the sax, but better to get an expert opinion first. Could be setup. Suddenly refusing to play in the upper register is odd, could be a dead reed, but I guess you've checked that. You're not pressing one of the palm keys open without realising it? I do that, drives me nuts.

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
@AVert - Is your sax a Yamaha YAS-567 or a Jupiter JAS-567?

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
There are a few diagnostic steps you can take:

1. Play just the mouthpiece and neck apart from the saxophone. It should blow easily and produce the note Ab concert. Make sure you do not open the neck octave key.
  2. If it is hard to blow or make a steady tone, inspect the mouthpiece. Look for nicks or cuts near the tip. Try a different reed.
  3. Assemble the saxophone and finger the note G. Hit the thumb octave repeatedly while watching the neck octave key. It should not jump, bounce, or move. If it does get your saxophone serviced.
  4. If all of the above are good, assemble the sax and play the notes without the octave key in the following order: C#, C, B. If C# is clear, but B or C are stuffy take your sax to be adjusted.