All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Saxophones Yamaha EX

Pete C

Just had a few days in London and amongst other things, tried a couple of horns - The Rampone R1 tenor in Sax.co.uk (underwhelmed) and two custom Yamahas - an 875-EX alto which was superb and the black lacquer tenor equivalent which had a great altissimo but was otherwise fairly bland and looked horrible. Anyone else tried these horns?

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
Have you blew the Z tenor,they are amazing.The silver plated z's are fantastic.My fave tenors are z's,borgani jubilees,mauriat 66rul,Keilwerth sx90r,these tenors are all huge.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
....an 875-EX alto which was superb and the black lacquer tenor equivalent which had a great altissimo but was otherwise fairly bland and looked horrible.....
Always thought they looked rather good myself! the heavy engraving cut back into an extremely black black lacquer.... almost have a tattooed look about them....

Pete C

Yes Jules - probably just my conservative taste - old style lacqer or none or as in the case of my Mauriat, green! The Yam EX alto I tried has that deep gold lacquer finish which looks great. The horn also sounded good.

ManEast

Hi
Other than its looks, I found it very hard to get excited about the R1 Tenor. The ergonomics left me bewildered ! The Yamaha Ex Tenor is way too heavy. I bought one of the first in the U.K... after reading some marketing blurb on it. I kept it for a few years, but I knew it had to go from the day I got it. If at the time it had turned out to be like the Custom Z it may have been a different story. I like the Z Tenor ... I still think Yamaha could afford to shave off a tiny bit more form its weight. The latest Yamaha Z U.L Alto is spot on. So impressed with that Alto.

Top Bottom