All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Saxophones Yamaha Custom 875 EX Alto Saxophone

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
How good is this saxophone? I have a chance to get one that has only been played a handful of times. Five years old.

How does it compare to the Pruple brigade? How does it compare to Yanis, Keilworth, etc

Ads

Locality
North West UK
I always though of it as a Yamaha Yani - less of the Yamaha Grit and life (compared to Mk2s and even my MKIII with the MKIII neck ), more "polite" , cosmetically more bling than the plain Jane 62, nicer action too (Pre MkIII SH setup) .. but then I`ve only experienced one sample and that was pretty recently, it may have been a wooly sounding one, was a bit too lifeless / un-yamaha like for me . YMMV .

Saxdiva

Older, wiser, should know better....
Locality
Burgess Hill, West Sussex
It's all about your personal preference, not to mention set-up, and it depends on which Yani or Keilwerth you're comparing to.

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
It's all about your personal preference, not to mention set-up, and it depends on which Yani or Keilwerth you're comparing to.
I can appreciate that Saxdiva.....just wanted some other opinions, experience, etc

jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
At that sort of price/quality level it's purely a matter of personal preference. All the top, two grand plus saxes are more than good enough, and any will be good enough for any player, forever. I tried one when I bought my Yani T992 (and a YTS62 as well) and although I preferred the Yani, it was just because it suited me. The 875 was great, super slick, but just not as characterful for me as the T992

dooce

Locality
Daventry
Well, I went through pretty much everything from Selmers to Bauhaus before I bought my 875 tenor but that's what worked for me. Beautiful sax in every sense. I would mirror Jon's comment, but in my case, it's Yani's that lack character. They are all great saxes but with respect, you need to play the things, not debate them.

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Personally, I find can be a rather limiting horn and many of the manufactured horns have multiple issues. Many of the jazz musicians I know do not like the 62 series and it is more of an end-intermediate horn.

Statement above from a pro jazz sax player and accomplished classical player. I love the differing comments and fully intend to try them out to see what is right for me. An 875 for £1000 - try and find one! Also trying a Keilworth Shadow later today. As for Stephen Howard's reviews.....I always go to his site first, review and then make up my own mind.

This forum is so helpful with great advice.

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Have tried for two of them, immaculate, not for less than £2100

Sue

One prosecco, two prosecco, three prosecco - floor
Café Supporter
Locality
The Millenium Falcon
Hi Prof. I tried a Yam 875 when I bought my Yani 992 and to be honest I really liked both equally. I went for for the 992 purely because of the colour in the end as I couldn't choose between them for ergonomics or sound. Typical woman eh? It's the reason I choose a car too - a nice colour. Hubby had a 875 tenor and it was a lush tone. Wish I'd kept it when he packed in playing. Whatever you decide have fun choosing :)

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Thanks Sue but nothing wrong with choosing on colour! Tried a Selmer Mk II and didn't like it....crazy eh? May go for a YAS 62 and then get my Naked Lady overhauled. Best of bothe worlds!

Reactions: Sue

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
I'm sure I've seen 875s for around the £1400-1600 mark. Have you checked ebay completed listings?

Don't discount the YAS-61 either. Read Steve Howard's reviews on all the aforementioned Yamahas.

Are you going to let any of your Martins go? :eek:

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Not seen them at that price. Just made an offer on a YAS 62. As for my Martins......will let one Imperial go. They are immaculate and great players. Will never sell the Master Typewriter! Will also get the Conn Naked Lady repad and overhauled. Who should I use for these repairs? Any suggestions?

Ads

Locality
North West UK
I like the Sound from the SX90R, not so fussed on the handling and the whole tone-hole business put me off even more than the price did . everyone has their own views , the 62 always were and still are Pro horns, albeit entry level .....

But lets get real here, what actually represents a "Pro" horn anyway other than build refinement factor, there are plenty of people making their way and paying their bills with far less than a 62 or 901. I`m sure the humble Jupiter 567 , TJ Rev-II , Elkhart Deluxe Taiwan representitives would see a working Pro many years of service just like "student" american and Czech horns did previously. one guy I know routinely gigs a chinese tenor of far less stature then a Bauhaus or Jericho and does just fine (saves the S20 for recording) .

There seem to be three levels - Student (I Hate that term, what it really means is Budget, it`s irrelevant if you`re a top player or a beginner if you`ve not got the cash, these are for you) - working Pro (stuff like the 62, 901, Big Bell stones, TJ RAWs, Zs, SX90s, Series-IIIs etc) and Boutique (anything with solid silver or other fancy metals incorporated , added bling for status or a ludicrously pretentious price )

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
Not seen them at that price. Just made an offer on a YAS 62. As for my Martins......will let one Imperial go. They are immaculate and great players. Will never sell the Master Typewriter! Will also get the Conn Naked Lady repad and overhauled. Who should I use for these repairs? Any suggestions?
Is that an Imperial or Handcraft Imperial?
Go to Charlie Connolly for the re-pad. Fantastic attention to detail on my Grassi. That was £350 from a pile of parts, including levelling tone holes so yours should be cheaper.
Will the YAS be cheaper than your YTS? Good luck with your offer. :thumb:

Ads

Locality
North West UK
agreed on Connollys, very fair prices charged for top hole work

Ads

Locality
North West UK
Wholly Top hole whole tone hole work on the top tone hole even

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
I think they are one and the same - all Handcraft Imperials (?) - unless someone proves me wrong! Naked Lady may have to wait as I may have just acquired an 875 EX.............

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom