support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Yamaha alto spare parts query

saxmad

I shall be requiring some parts for a YAS soon and will definitely need the left hand stack long rod screw - couple of questions:
1. Do all Yamaha models have the same diameter size for the left hand stack?
2. Do any other makers saxes use identical same threads as Yamaha?
3. Has anyone have the part I need? (I've tried Dawkes without success)

These are the thread sizes I have made note of: Yamaha YAS-21, YAS-23 main rod thread: M2.5 x 0.45, small rod thread M2.5 x 0.45.

I don't have the rod diameter, but I can measure one when I go out to the shop later today. Your best bet would be to contact one of the techs in the UK and ask them to make one for you which is easy to do.

edit: from the specs on the Dawkes website the LH stack rod is .110" diameter and 4.85" long and they are out of stock. On the Yamaha 24x7 parts website that hinge rod for the YAS-23 is not available.

Last edited:
Email Yamaha....
They were brilliant with me when I needed a brace for the loop in my baritone neck. Then when it arrived I realised I should have ordered the tuning fork badge to go with it. I rang them and they sent one free of charge!!

Is it just threaded pivot rods you need ? Usually it would be quicker and cheaper to have a tech just make 'em. Dunno given the current situation and where you live whether you can find a tech who would do that, however.

Yamaha does have a parts website....I only know the USA one (in Los Angeles) so that won't be much help to you but I'd imagine you can find the UK one....

The "crook" may be the hardest to come by. The Yamaha 24x7 parts website no longer lists those for sale. However, if you hurry there are a couple of new ones for sale on EBay at this time for a fair price. Used ones in serviceable condition are becoming very hard to find.

Stephen,

The parts I will need for this YAS23 are:
Octave thumb key rod
LH B key
LH A key
Crook
Crook rod

I've got a crook (standard clear lacquer with nickel plated key). It's a little scratched - but has no signs of damage or previous repairs. Bear in mind that it may need fitting to the crook socket, and the key will likely need to be adjusted against the pin key (the sticky-up rod at the top of the horn).

I haven't got the thumb key rod - in fact I don't seem to have any 2.35mm rods at all - but I do have plenty of 2.38mm stock (Yamaha flute low C rod) and you'll very likely find that this will fit due to the wear in the key.

The crook is £60 delivered - but you can have the thumb key rod for free.

Back
Top Bottom