support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Yamaha 82z or Selmer Super Action Serie II Tenor

Rick Reed

I think the dreaded GAS is affecting me after years of immunity to it ..........

I've got the opportunity of trading my Yamaha Custom 82Z for a Selmer Super Action Serie II in Black. For some reason, I quite like the bling factor of a black and gold sax! There would be a cash adjustment of £450 for the Selmer.

I've mainly used the 82z as a back up to my Yanagaiswa T992 Bronze (which I absolutely love).

All things being equal (condition etc), I was just wondering what people's thoughts and opinions were. I haven't had the opportunity to play the horn and didn't want to commit with travel expense/time etc if the horn was not on a par with the 82z.

Has anyone owned or played these two horns side by side and able to give me there views.

Yes good problem

On paper at least the Selmer is of a different lineage and so might offer something new. Also if you like the look you'll play better!

Try-before-you-buy

Going by recent 2nd hand prices, I`d expect to pay a lot less than £450 difference, especially for a far less desirable black one .. black SA80s are harder to sell from what dealers have told me (when I was asking about Altos) and I`d never have one - they look too much like Shonky Chinese clones to me . when I see a bright coloured Enamel or black lacquer sax, the Name Jollysun springs to mind :( .

Last edited:
..they look too much like Shonky Chinese clones to me....

Horses for courses Ads

I've liked the black and gold ever since seeing a very cool dude playing one (Selmer) in a club at Edinburgh Festival along with an equally cool geezer on didgeridoo. An impressionable age and a pint or several of heavy meant I was only ever going to be overwhelmingly impressed

And then I've spent close to zero time online looking at cheap blingy tat from the Far East

Whenever someone says black and beautiful I always think of YolanDa Brown's Yamahas...

http://www.yolandabrown.co.uk

Yolanda 1_l.jpg

Love the look of those models, but not so sure about how the lacquer would cope with repairs?

Rick, how do you your 2 current tenors compare with each other? Do each of them bring something different to the table? If you feel that your current japanese tenors share too many of the same qualities, why not go for the different tone/sound/feel that one would presumably get with a vintage Selmer?

Of course, you'd then have to get a comparably suitable backup for each... >:)

Last edited:
Going by recent 2nd hand prices, I`d expect to pay a lot less than £450 difference, especially for a far less desirable black one .. black SA80s are harder to sell from what dealers have told me (when I was asking about Altos) and I`d never have one - they look too much like Shonky Chinese clones to me . when I see a bright coloured Enamel or black lacquer sax, the Name Jollysun springs to mind :( .
Yeah there is that.... I know what you mean.

Rick, how do you your 2 current tenors compare with each other? Do each of them bring something different to the table? If you feel that your current japanese tenors share too many of the same qualities, why not go for the different tone/sound/feel that one would presumably get with a vintage Selmer?

Of course, you'd then have to get a comparably suitable backup for each... >:)
They are very different horns to be honest. The Yamaha is a brighter horn which I like for loud gigs when I have to compete with guitar amps lol. The action is better on the Yamaha too. In fact it's the best I've played.
The Yanagisawa is a bit more darker, which is why I refer it to the Yamaha. I had a later MK 6 which I sold to get the Yanagiswa. The Yamaha had alot of the tonal qualities as that.

If the Selmer was brighter that would be ok which is where I am with the dilema at the moment. Cheers....

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom