support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Yamaha 4C Mp for Vintage Buescher Alto?

Luluna

Café Supporter
Locality
Vermont, USA
I just read the older threads regarding alto sax mouthpieces and the recommendations on a Yamaha 4C -

I would appreciate input or advice on whether or not this type of mouthpiece might work on my Roaring 20's Buescher Tru-tone?

I would have to mail order since there are no shops within driving distance for me to try anything out. I typically play a harder reed - #3-4.

Many thanks. :)

I'll let you know next week.
I already have a couple of yamaha mps, got a 1929-30 silver alto true tone coming next Tuesday.
whoopee:D:D

Last edited by a moderator:
It'll certainly work, but the 4C is designed for modern horns and so won't bring out the subtleties of the horn in the same way that a more suitable piece would.
What to put on it is a matter of personal preference, but Link and Selmers tend to work well.

That said, it's sensible to start off with something like the 4C and build up your embouchure - you'll then be better able to make an informed choice on your next piece.

Regards,

I bought a Yamaha plastic 6* to replace the unknown make that came with my new Elkhart alto. I replaced the 6* with a 7* - they don't bounce off a tiled floor in the kitchen.
Moral: don't clean it or lay a soft carpet.
It sounded unexpectedly MUCH better - a bigger, rounder sound with a soft reed 2 or 2.5 Hahn synthetic. Not bad for a £23 mpiece.

Just started playing again after 28 years 'resting'. When I first started many years ago I played my first mpiece for 6 months, then upgraded, and changed that after two years. I don't think there's much point in paying big bucks until you develop your embouchure and decide who you want to sound like.

Thanks everyone for the input!

My chops are in decent shape now - also took a 25+ year hiatus from playing. It's been about a year and a half since my return - with regular band rehearsals every week. Ye olde lower lip scar line has returned ;}

I know who I want to sound like - me when I was in my 20s! :)))

I think I'll start off with a Meyer?!?

If its the last thing you do get a Peter Ponzol HR Vintage (Junkdude would oblige) - its like the original Meyer's of the 40/50's and amazing value too.....;}

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

My preference would be for a Selmer Soloist, they now do a reissue, not sure if it's as good as the original but I hope so. D or E would be good. (E if you can work with softer reeds).

Cost more than a 4C, but will bring out the subtleties that SH mentioned.

Or a Vandoren Java A 35 or A45.

Don't you just hate it when you get too many suggestions?

Yes, just as you think you're making up your mind...

Hiya Lori; is there a chance of a trip to a city where you can, 'just by chance', try a few? If not there are some retailers that will sell by mail order on 'sale or return'.

I do think you'll like the Meyer, and possibly even more with a Rovner type ligature.
The one I have that works nicely for me with my Martin stencil alto is a 5 large chamber/long facing.
I don't know, you may prefer other combinations. It is so subjective, but I think the Meyer may well suit your horn and what I imagine you are looking for.

www.wwbw.com seem to cover the range.

All the best, Alan

One can never get too much good advice!

I must say I am overwhelmed by all the choices of MPs and ligatures now - my 25 year hiatus has put a huge gap in my knowledge of these things. There are so many more options. I feel like the Rip Van Winkle of Cafe Saxophone! :D

After speaking with my oldest daughter (now living in New York City) who is begging for us to visit - could kill 2 birds with one stone and find a store there? Her apartment is in Queens, but she works on 5th Avenue - pack up my little old Buescher to NYC with the above Cafe list of mouthpieces - WHAT FUN!!!

Any suggestions for ♪♫♪♪♫ stores in NYC? I see Dr. Rick's in Greenwich Village.....hmmm any others I should try?

"I'll let you know next week.
I already have a couple of yamaha mps, got a 1929-30 silver alto true tone coming next Tuesday.
whoopee"

Erm, no I won't.:(
It needs some work doing on it.
1 spring missing.
Most pads are stuffed.
2 cups do not get close to tone holes.
Looks and smells like it hasn't been played in a long-long time(The case also has that very old, uncared for very strong, musty smell)

Thinks to himself
Wonder how much it would cost to get it to the Vermont based, world renowned expert on true tones?

On a brighter note, it did come with original mouthpiece & the 2 notes I can play on it are in a different world.:)

"I'll let you know next week.
whoopee"

Erm, no I won't.:(
It needs some work doing on it.
1 spring missing.
Most pads are stuffed.
2 cups do not get close to tone holes.
Looks and smells like it hasn't been played in a long-long time(The case also has that very old, uncared for very strong, musty smell)

Thinks to himself
Wonder how much it would cost to get it to the Vermont based, world renowned expert on true tones?

On a brighter note, it did come with original mouthpiece & the 2 notes I can play on it are in a different world.:)

I'm not an expert........yet! ;)

Hmmmm - the original mouthpiece - lucky you!

As far as the strong musty smell of the case - this worked for me. I opened the case (empty of course) and set it outside on the deck overnight. The freezing temperatures supposedly kill the mold spores and dusty musty mites that have resided in your case. I brought the case inside the next morning - the odors were much diminished if not completely gone. Just to make sure, I vacuumed out the case and sprayed it with "Febreeze". Set it back outside to freeze and dry - it seems to have cured the yucky case smell. Just in case - I tucked a scented fabric softener sheet in the box that stores the mouthpiece and accessories.

As for the horn - Stephen Howard's Saxophone manual encouraged me to try cleaning out the neck. I don't even want to think about what might be crusted in there. Evil spirits or not! I ended up using the vinegar solution and letting it soak (as illustrated in the book) for the afternoon. I used some pipe cleaners to get the rest of the gunk out - my bottle brushes were too large. Then rinsed again with a cinnamon antiseptic mouthwash. A vast improvement in smell and sound.

It seems there are more options for repair near everyone else, maybe just an estimate on getting it in playing condition would be preferable....and much quicker than sending it to the mountains of Vermont! :w00t:

My preference would be for a Selmer Soloist, they now do a reissue, not sure if it's as good as the original but I hope so. D or E would be good. (E if you can work with softer reeds).

Cost more than a 4C, but will bring out the subtleties that SH mentioned.

Or a Vandoren Java A 35 or A45.

Don't you just hate it when you get too many suggestions?

Have ordered a Vandoren Java (on sale new for $99.89) and also a Selmer Soloist D (on sale for $125.06) - good prices I think - I look forward to trying them out :)

Just changed my Selmer order to an E and ordered softer reeds - :)

Laluna
Thanks for the info on the case. I will start on that the w/end.
Looked into the crook :w00t:, will also start on that the w/end.
Ordered up new pads and springs--should keep me busy for a while.
Might just pop it up to S Howard,---See how I go timewise.
Just trying to fathom out a way to get the hardened detritus out of the body:w00t:
Be interested to hear how you get on with your new mouthpieces.

Hi Lulu
I'm amazed you use 3 and 4 reeds I just can't blow more than 2.5's
for some reason I can't even blow 2.5 vandorrens even after soaking they just seem flat and lifeless.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to get the bottom lip scar I thought I was doing something badly wrong your the first to mention it.

Good luck with your quest for a new mpc:)

The lip scar used to be much worse when I had braces on my teeth! Talk about "shredding"!! :w00t:

I'm not using 4's at the moment - 3's seem to be a happy medium. I always had trouble with the reeds getting too soft, and wasn't very good at using the reed clipper.

I think the reed number has a lot to do with your mouthpiece and your personal preference don't you?

After a 2.5 hour rehearsal, my lower lip is swollen for at least a day or two!

My mouthpieces are delayed due to "snowmaggedon" :(

WOWEEWOWEEWOW!!!! :welldone

Just finished trying out the Selmer Soloist "E" with a softer reed - (2.5) - I'm completely blown away by the sound and projection.

Replaced 3 leaky pads and I'm sounding more and more like a 1st chair alto - never thought I'd lay down my tenor for anything - but what an amazing combo with this sax -

Many, many thanks!

.....off to make a nice big lip scar :D

Back
Top Bottom