SYOS

M/Pieces - Ligs Yam 5c MP

Simo

I'm thinking of upgrading my Yamaha 5c mp for a better one. What's the next best thing to the 5c? I like the Selmer and Otto Link but what's the next best thing?

ukwoody

I think once you go to that next step it's a purely personal thing. Both mentioned are very good, but I guess it depends at what price point you want to go to.

Why do you want to change? A different sound? I would suggest it might be as well for you to go to a shop and try a couple of different MPs out with your sax and see how they feel and sound.

woody

SteveK

Yes... you're got to take your horn to a well stocked shop and try out as many as you can.
I use a David Gardala Crescent for Tenor, which gives a great sound if you are paying over electric instruments but is very adaptable and a Jody Jazz NY for Alto - this is very smooth and again has a very broad range of sounds.
I also play the DG crescent in an orchestra which normally a no-go as conductors do not usually like metal MP. It has taught me to control the volume and centre the sound more so than I normally would.
These are both quite pricey but the DG in particular is often on ebay for around the £100 mark.
Also also have a Yanigasawa silver Alto MP which is very close to the Jody Jazz and is about half the price.

Maybe I am just a mug for the hype but I have to say that I have found that the more expensive mouth pieces do seem to be able produce a broader range of sounds whilst maintaining controllability.

But it really comes down to what is right for you. I would list the following as my top three criteria:

1) Playability. It's no use have a great sound if you can't hit those high and low notes or manage large jumps. If the MP is difficult to play it will hinder your progress.
2) Predominate style - Jazz, Rock, Orchestra, Ensemble
3) Quality and range of tones
4) Price

If you do buy on ebay there's a pretty good chance you can resell for a similar price if you don't like it. I suggest that you watch prices carefully first for a few weeks to get a feel for the prevailing values. I did this with my DG Crescent but went through three others that I bought and resold to get to it. I bought my Jody Jazz in Sax.co.uk in Denmark street London - there have a good selection and are happy to let you take your time.

Do not consider what other people play.
I suggest you write your own list of criteria.

Pete PPT also come highly recommended I hear.

Steve

OP
Simo

Simo

A Yamaha 6c?
That's the first one I thought of :w00t:
I've gone for this one;

Tenor Saxophone Mouthpiece
Ligature and Cap - Gold plated size 6 (woodwind & brass)

The reason I needed a new one was because the one I have is 2nd hand from eBay. And as I have a good tenor I want a good mp. My next upgrade is a crook :w00t:

Thanks for all your help my fellow sax players :welldone

Tommy Ng

That's the first one I thought of :w00t:
I've gone for this one;

Tenor Saxophone Mouthpiece
Ligature and Cap - Gold plated size 6 (woodwind & brass)

The reason I needed a new one was because the one I have is 2nd hand from eBay. And as I have a good tenor I want a good mp. My next upgrade is a crook :w00t:

Thanks for all your help my fellow sax players :welldone
I think there is not much difference between 5C and 6C. It is better to get a better-made mpc, otto link, selmer, vandoren, ppt, etc..

I recently bought an otto link metal 6 tenor mpc at £99, brand new from ebay (by John Packer). Usual price is > £150, i think JP might have put the wrong price on ebay :D

OP
Simo

Simo

I have just won this from eBay.

Metal Otto Link 6* Tenor Sax Mouthpiece complete with Cap, Lig and Box. - £77.00 :w00t:

that will ding dang do for me...
:w00t:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ben Cain

hi

Hi
Good buy! I use Otto Link NY 6* on my JK Sx-90R tenor, terrific sound and suitable for many styles of music.
Good luck and have a great christmas
Ben

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom