All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Yahama Alto Sax won't play low C#, help please

Garyford

I just bought a used YAS-200AD. It is in great shape and plays well, except for the low C#. I can play low C and low D and low D# perfectly, but when my left pinky pushes the spatula pad for the C#, the horn goes up over an octive and sounds like a high G or G#.

My son has an identical brand new YAS-200AD, and I can play the C# perfectly there, so my technichque is not at fault.

Probably a leak somewhere, certainly, but I am a newbie and could use some help.

Thanks in advance,

Gary

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
There is a screw that keeps the G# key closed when you play the low C#,B,Bb.
Maybe the well known Haynes saxophone manual could help...

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
There is a screw that keeps the G# key closed when you play the low C#,B,Bb.
Maybe the well known Haynes saxophone manual could help...
I second that, it's the most common fault and will also 9usually) affect the B and Bb (but not the C).

Check which keycup is opening when you finger G then press the G#. The adjuster screw is the one over that keycup.

If the screw is too loose, then it will open very slightly as you play C# so tighten it until it doesn't open. However it's important to tighten it just enough and no more or it will cause other keys in the right stack to either not close or need too much pressure.

Garyford

Whoa, you all are brilliant here.

The G# keycup was indeed lifting up just a fraction of a millimeter, but obviously that was enough. I adjusted the proper screw until it no longer lifted, and now the C# plays perfectly.

I never would have figured that out on me own. Thanks so much!

Gary

johnboy

Whoa, you all are brilliant here.

The G# keycup was indeed lifting up just a fraction of a millimeter, but obviously that was enough. I adjusted the proper screw until it no longer lifted, and now the C# plays perfectly.

I never would have figured that out on me own. Thanks so much!

Gary
Hi Gary,
As above, get the Haynes Manual. You won't regret it, Stephen has put a lot of work into it!!!!!!!!!

John.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom