SYOS

Wrote it - Can't Play It

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Isn't that annoying? You write something only to find you can't play it. :doh:

This was written to be played at 120bpm (it's the main theme of a larger song) except I spent a good hour just (barely) getting up to 80bpm. The jump from 80 to 90 feels like a chasm. Anything faster appears to be nigh-on impossible.

acid - Full Score.jpg

The annoying thing is I really like how it sounds in the song (even if it sounds a little odd on its own) and while I plan on practising this as much as I can I think I can safely say I'll never play it.

A midi file of how the phrase should sound.

Jazzaferri

16ths at 120 is eighths, at 240. Definitely into working pro or gifted amateur territory.

Not sure why you have some of the As accidental sharped. Did you want it played as a double sharp in which case it would be the tonic of the key B major and better written as a B or....….........….If its a reminder should be in parentheses. Just being picky LOL

OP
Veggie Dave

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
It's a quirk of Sibelius - even if the last note that was a natural rather than sharp/flat as stated by the key signature is in the previous bar, it still shows it as sharp/flat if that note's repeated in the next bar,

Zugzwang

Subscriber
‘Course you will.… unless it’s your subconscious planning to finagle you into buying a soprano - in which case come here and the GAS-resistant Cafe people will talk you out of it;)

randulo

Playing saxophone 21 months - 2.4% of my life
Subscriber
Happens to me on the faster ones, comes with age. Maybe not your problem, though?

rhysonsax

It's a quirk of Sibelius - even if the last note that was a natural rather than sharp/flat as stated by the key signature is in the previous bar, it still shows it as sharp/flat if that note's repeated in the next bar,
It's a reminder and in Sibelius can be put in brackets or possibly switched off.

I would call it a helpful default rather than a quirk.

Rhys

llopatin1

Isn't that annoying? You write something only to find you can't play it. :doh:

This was written to be played at 120bpm (it's the main theme of a larger song) except I spent a good hour just (barely) getting up to 80bpm. The jump from 80 to 90 feels like a chasm. Anything faster appears to be nigh-on impossible.

View attachment 13433

The annoying thing is I really like how it sounds in the song (even if it sounds a little odd on its own) and while I plan on practising this as much as I can I think I can safely say I'll never play it.

A midi file of how the phrase should sound.
You'll be able to play it. Just take it apart, work on one bar at a time, and go as slow as you need to. Repeat, repeat, repeat, and keep on repeating. At a certain point, you'll feel it start to come together.

OP
Veggie Dave

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
That's how I got to 80bpm in the first place. I had to start at 40 and work up. :D

Life would be easier if I wasn't playing it on alto (not my main sax) and it was in a more friendly key, but where would the fun be in that? :thumb:

rhysonsax

Do you know how because I can't find any options relating to this anywhere?
I've got Sibelius 7 and it's covered in the Help (pdf manual) under Cautionary Accidentals. That makes it sound quite complicated but the important stuff can be summarised as:

Only show cautionary accidentals for the first note of the bar: Choose Appearance > House Style > Engraving Rules and go to Accidentals and Dots page where you can switch on Apply auto cautionaries only up to first note of next bar.

Show cautionary accidentals in parentheses (round brackets): Go to Engraving Rules and the Accidentals and Dots and choose Show cautionary accidentals in parentheses.

You can hide an automatic cautionary accidental by selecting the note on which it occurs and choose Suppress cautionary accidental button (shortcut) on the sixth Keypad layout (picture of a flat symbol in brackets with a big cross through it).

The manual is probably clearer and more helpful than my summary.

Rhys

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
There was a programme on Don Maclean on Radio 4 recently. Yes, he sang 'that' song and a few others from the Album of the same name. He mentioned that he wrote a lot of songs that he wasn't able to play. Billy Joel did the same with his Classical album 'Fantasies and Delusions'. He didn't feel he was a good enough pianist to play the stuff he wrote.

Maybe you're in good company ;)

jbtsax

Subscriber
Does your difficulty have to do with tonguing 16ths at quaver = 120, or does it have to do with the fingering of the notes? In some instances it can be coordinating the tongue and the fingers. I have found the first step in mastering a difficult technical passage is to diagnose what the problem(s) consist of and master each element separately before trying to put them together.

Pete Effamy

There was a programme on Don Maclean on Radio 4 recently. Yes, he sang 'that' song and a few others from the Album of the same name. He mentioned that he wrote a lot of songs that he wasn't able to play. Billy Joel did the same with his Classical album 'Fantasies and Delusions'. He didn't feel he was a good enough pianist to play the stuff he wrote.

Maybe you're in good company ;)
Played that song with Don McLean several years ago. Was really hard as he has a habit of throwing the odd bar of 3 or 5 beats in rather than 4. Scary stuff when live to air :oops:

OP
Veggie Dave

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
The manual is probably clearer and more helpful than my summary.
No, that worked great. It turns out, though, that you either have to create a template with that rule as part of its house style or add a house style every time you create a new score. As user-friendly as ever.

Does your difficulty have to do with tonguing 16ths at quaver = 120, or does it have to do with the fingering of the notes?
It's the eyes confusing the fingers. I find I can't read as fast as I can play, so need to get to the point where I'm not really reading anymore. However, in this particular case I'm also playing this on alto, which is not a sax I play that often. The actual sax itself may be a factor, too, but mostly it's the eyes trying to take over the finger coordination.

And it feels really quick to me when I'm jumping between notes, too.

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
I see the score has the title of "Acid". Or is it a prescriptive instruction for pre playing preparation?

Top Bottom