PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Wouldn't it be great if...

Account Closed
If there was a mouthpiece whose gap was adjustable from 4 to about 7 in about 20 increments. That would be handy for training. It would have a guage that reads in thousands of an inch and millimeters, of course.

There was a clarinet mouthpiece called the "Jamin" made in Switzerland I think a few years ago. Here is how it's described in the 1992 catalogue from Bill Lewington's musical instruments shop.

"If you've ever had one of those customers who bugs you about tip openings, this is the mouthpiece you need. The scaffolding gizmo attached to the mouthpiece varies the tip opening and will keep him [sic] happy for years."

In 1992 it cost £115.70 and interestingly it came in facings 4, 5 or 6 !

I saw one on eBay a few years ago but wasn't interested in buying it. Maybe if it had been for saxophone.....

Rhys

It's a kind of good idea but wouldn't it just confuse your chops ? I mean once you are set on a tip you really should stick with it ?
Mouthpiece innovation is always on my mind . A mpc with an attached " reed " I've been thinking about lately . Obviously not a cane reed but who knows ?
Anybody know of this having been tried ?

That is a mpc / " reed " all in one : so no table to speak of . Imagine your mpc with a " bari " reed super glued on ; though a little more refined....all constructed in one unit...

So the 'reed' would have to last fifty years or more?
If it was made out of graphene you could keep adding layers to get the strength you wanted.

Hmmm....I'm not sure about synthetics in general but do " bari " have a shelf life..

The WX-7 has a permanent reed attached with a screw, but it's not a saxophone, but an EWI. As for the part about getting used to it, the whole point would be finding what works best by working up to it. I'd like to know what it feels like to play a larger opening without buying a new mpc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread moved, thanks! I really wasn't sure if such fanticising was appropriate for a 'real' saxophone topic.

1602662633647.jpeg

I don’t know if this will work but here, hopefully, is a Jamin

4 to about 7 in about 20 increments.
I wonder why you think 20 increments are necessary for this.

Normally (ie with non adjustable mouthpiece) there would only be five between the two, ie 4* 5, 5*, 6. 6*

Some would argue (including me), that is already too many given that the differences are so small as it is. People might ho to a harder or softer reed before changing via such small amounts (.005")

If a MP had an adjustable tip opening where would the "hinge" point be?

I'm guessing it would be at the point where the flat table meets the sloping away rails. Or, on the Jamin, is it the table which can be varied in angle?

I wonder if Alastair Hanson has had any thoughts on this, following on from his "Easy Reed" offering...

View: https://youtu.be/eC5CQWu2-yw

I'll watch that later...not seen it.
Mr Hanson is like the Willy Wonka of the sax world :)

Reactions: Sue
It's a kind of good idea but wouldn't it just confuse your chops ? I mean once you are set on a tip you really should stick with it ?
One more thing to worry about and get distracted by.....

I'll watch that later...not seen it.
Mr Hanson is like the Willy Wonka of the sax world :)

And see how smart he looks on Dragons Den:

I wonder why you think 20 increments are necessary for this.
Off the top of my head. It doesn't matter what they are as long they represent something close to what you can find in the real world. Since it's imaginary, I didn't give the engineering details much thought.

One more thing to worry about and get distracted by.....
I was thinking, more a way to measure what you need, not to actually play it, except to discover what it's like to blow on a wider tip. As it happens, I have severam mpc that are smaller openings than the largest so I don't need to go that way. But I'd like to know what it feels like to play a slightly wider tip. Buying a new piece wouldn't make sense. It's actually hard to know what opening is appropriate when you're "new" in the game.

Spoke to Alastair this morning and came up with some ideas.
It might be called the Hanson Palm T2 mouthpiece.
If you can guess why, you're as mad as us!

Back
Top Bottom