All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Would you pay £900 for this?

griff136

I would if :

a. I really wanted it
b. I was a serious collector
c. I Had a 6 figure salary
d. I didnt have a mortgage, a young family, a car to run, and bills to pay.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Griff,
Reason d is invalid. You have a Citroen van. Admittedly it is to full works WRC tarmac specification. Tip for other petrol heads, don't mess with the Griffmobile.

jonf

Madness, and I bet it doesn't even play that great. I'll stick to my knackered, battered but brilliant sounding Oleg Maestro, thanks.

Saxlicker

That piece was on a few weeks ago and he's reduced it by a fair bit!!!!! still too much for me by a long shot.

I think there are more and more people each day pushing the price of 'desirable sax objects' through the ceiling of what Mr Average is prepared to or able to justify paying.
This subsequently (regardless of whether it sells) makes everyone else re-evaluate their own sale items and add another X amount on.
Result?
I personally am buying less and less.
I know that both the price by the seller and the bidding is choice and no is one else's business at the end of the day but ......

There isn't a better example the the MKVI is there?
These days a poor re-lacquer circa 70's has a starting price on ebay that an original condition 50's one had just a few years ago.
I have no idea how many actually sell. Most people would be outraged if Selmer e.t.c. increased their prices this much in the same period of time (I know they have huge increases as it is).

There is one guy, been around a while regularly selling on ebay... again choice is yours, I steer clear.
The pieces expensive but after all they are all monster pieces.. the best he's ever seen, incredible, most sought after, rarest of them all, the one everyone wants.
Oh yeah, they are nearly always altered to a more common tip opening so your not getting the original thing anyway.

Now Sue, please don't get me ranting again :)

Last edited by a moderator:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
We've seen this or a similar one before. Also with a ridiculous price on ebay.:w00t: Not sure if it's the same seller or not.

It is an early Meyer, look at the table - the idea was that the cut away would allow the reed to expand and sit better, however it didn't work and Meyers dropped the idea quite quickly. (See mouthpiece museum/Theo Wanne, can't remember which).

I agree with the comments above - sellers like this are inflating the value of old bits of kit. And making it inaccessible to people wanting to start out with something older/cheaper - or experiment at reasonable cost. :(

Sue, perhaps you should ask him to sell your cigar cutter, based on these prices he'd list it at 50K and if he gives you 20%, you'll get a lot more than you would at any sensible sax dealer.>:)

Sue

If at first you don't succeed try try try a Gin
Subscriber
That piece was on a few weeks ago and he's reduced it by a fair bit!!!!! still too much for me by a long shot.
Now Sue, please don't get me ranting again :)
Sorry - I just have that affect on people :)

Sue

Subscriber
Sue, perhaps you should ask him to sell your cigar cutter, based on these prices he'd list it at 50K and if he gives you 20%, you'll get a lot more than you would at any sensible sax dealer.>:)
Hell yeh - what an idea, I could throw a big cafe sax party then, drinks on me!

TomMapfumo

I am often surprised at the cost of postage - £20 for a small mouthpiece. At the ridiculous price being charged for the mouthpiece I would have thought that it could have come post free. Much better value to buy 3 Theo Wanne/Morgan Fry Mouthpieces and be set up for life...................................

Kind regards
Tom

milandro

value of anything is something that is attributed to something by the market forces. It doesn't exist " a priori" but it is created if two people, or more, want something. The value of any item is what one of these people would be prepared to pay at the end of a battle where figures go up until they reach an unacceptable level for one , or more, of the contenders.

Why did somebody pay 32million $ for a Chinese vase beats me, but I am absolutely positive that they had a good reason to do so!
Why would a vase like this be more valuable than other even more ancient and possibly even rarer vases is a mystery but one that doesn't necessarily need to concern me if I am not a contender to the vase in question.

http://blogs.wsj.com/scene/2010/10/07/qing-vase-smashes-record-at-auction/

milandro

Yes, I personally don't think that any mouthpiece is worth that kind of money TO ME whether vintage or new

BigMartin

Wow! for that money you could buy 9 £100 mouthpieces (Vandoren Java etc) or 60 Rico Graftonites and spend the rest of your life trying to decide which one you like best.

zannad

I've checked Ebay if there were some other similar MPs to the one on offer...
Some clever sellers might be using some "inflated dummies" (maybe with some extra ebay accounts?) to entice buyers into thinking they are in for a bargain - since another is selling the same at nearly double! - they (gullible buyers) can't be wrong!!
There is a Yamaha WX11 which is hopelessly on offer for about £600!!! Could it be an inflated dummy or an hopeless seller?
http://cgi.ebay.it/YAMAHA-WX-11-WT-11-SAX-MIDI-/390261400630?pt=Quadri&hash=item5add646436
Of course I nearly bought another Yamaha WX11 being offered at nearly half of that...then after a bit more search I've concluded that a realistic price of such an outdated item shouldn't be more than £160.
Another example...how many Grafton saxes appear on eBay? Not many. Recently I've seen 2 at the same time out of the blue - one of them nearly double of the other and apparently in worst conditions too?! >:) (go figure).

Sue

Subscriber
Why did somebody pay 32million $ for a Chinese vase beats me, but I am absolutely positive that they had a good reason to do so!
Why would a vase like this be more valuable than other even more ancient and possibly even rarer vases is a mystery but one that doesn't necessarily need to concern me if I am not a contender to the vase in question.
Did you see the latest one sold for £53million?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...se-kept-wobbly-bookcase-insured-just-800.html

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom