support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories Would you like anything else with your sax?

What

Locality
Pittsburgh P.A.
Okay, so I have been slowly getting the thing besides a saxophone that I might need or are a good idea to have for playing and upkeep. So far I have the following:

Instructional Books,
Stephen Howard's Saxohpne Manual.
A much more comfortable neck strap (the one that came with the sax was just a strip of woven cloth no padding)
A stand for breaks while practicing.
cleaning kit with mpc brush, neck and body pull through, also cleaning paper for under the keys
A pad saver to replace the cheap one that came with the sax and threatened to leave fluff under my keys.
a music stand (not a need but I like having one)
A good mouthpiece that I like.
A good number of spare reeds.

So is there anything else that any of you would say is really worth the investment? Things that are needed or am I at the point where save for reeds and the hopefully avoided repair fee, I am at a point where I am good on what I need for keeping my saxophone maintained and myself properly supplied?

How about a metronome, its cheaper than a drummer, and you can hurl abuse at it when it doesn't keep in time with you without fear of reprisals!

A little bit of cork to put between your low B key and the bell key guard, got that tip from Griff ;}

Best wishes,

Chris

If you're game to do some repairs yourself then a small screwdriver and small needle nosed straight and bent set of pliers. I (judiciously) use talc for some sticky pads by putting a very very small amount on paper and closing the key/pad on it. Sewing machine oil for rods (seldom needed, but a good maintenance routine once a year). There's various types of gear for adjusting reeds (sanding, scraping, cutting the ends off, etc.). Reed holders for keeping the reeds you are using flat/straight. A wet reed will often "crinkle" if not forced on to a flat surface. Some thing to give you a reference to concert pitch (tuner). You need to be able to play in tune and adjust pitch as it changes (as the horn warms up). If you've a got good/great sense of pitch this isn't necessary. Playing in tune is vital and often overlooked. Some attention early on can give you a feeling for where the mouthpiece should be when you start playing and after the horn worms up.

I wouldn't say all the above are absolutely necessary, but it's the additional gear that I have and use regularly.

I'd get a ligature for your mouthpiece and reeds.

For a neck strap I'd prioritise one with a metal hook. The Rico straps are excellent value and very safe to use. I do not find plastic hooks very good - don't trust them!

A wooden/plastic clothespin...>:)

to hold the mic, if you choose to record yourself, using this as a holder, not to damage the lacquer on the bell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tuner. You can get tuner/metronome combo, that saves having 2 devices.

If you have a pc or smart phone, you can always get free metronome application.

I recently bought a decent pair of speakers (about £30, nothing fancy) to plug into the laptop. It's made my practice time when I can't use the desktop area much more effective. No need for a separate metronome at home anymore, just use one of the free downloadable ones, and turn up as loud as I need. And no more fiddling with CDs for backing tracks. Haven't checked out tuner software; I try to tune by ear as much as possible.

Good records (or cds) with some good saxophone.

And to play those records with a good saxophone on, you need a decent turntable...

da-vinci-monument-AAAAA.jpg

You'll probably regret joining this forum... we're spending all your money for you...:)))

Cheers,

Greg S.

More than all the above..... Maintain your enthusiam :D

Talent or stubbornness.

I have talented stubbornness.

lots of those and lots more to hunt down.

More than all the above..... Maintain your enthusiam :D

but I don't wanna!

Tuner. You can get tuner/metronome combo, that saves having 2 devices.

I do have a metronome app for my iPad but not too sure if I like it might have to hunt around for a real one, and I do have a tuner that I use, forgot to mention it heh.

And to play those records with a good saxophone on, you need a decent turntable...

View attachment 1714

You'll probably regret joining this forum... we're spending all your money for you...:)))

Cheers,

Greg S.

What money?

If you're game to do some repairs yourself then a small screwdriver and small needle nosed straight and bent set of pliers. I (judiciously) use talc for some sticky pads by putting a very very small amount on paper and closing the key/pad on it. Sewing machine oil for rods (seldom needed, but a good maintenance routine once a year). There's various types of gear for adjusting reeds (sanding, scraping, cutting the ends off, etc.). Reed holders for keeping the reeds you are using flat/straight. A wet reed will often "crinkle" if not forced on to a flat surface. Some thing to give you a reference to concert pitch (tuner). You need to be able to play in tune and adjust pitch as it changes (as the horn warms up). If you've a got good/great sense of pitch this isn't necessary. Playing in tune is vital and often overlooked. Some attention early on can give you a feeling for where the mouthpiece should be when you start playing and after the horn worms up.

I wouldn't say all the above are absolutely necessary, but it's the additional gear that I have and use regularly.

Thanks for the suggestions, I do have a reed case and am looking into good cutters now. The rest sounds pretty inexpensive round the house type items save for the tuner. Is there a specific one that is considered better then most?

I do have a metronome app for my iPad but not too sure if I like it might have to hunt around for a real one, and I do have a tuner that I use, forgot to mention it heh.

I wouldn't rush out to purchase a metronome, they all do the same thing and all will all be as frustrating as each other.

It does take time to be able to play along to one. But worth the effort to get your timing right.

I found it helps to remove the saxophone; tap, clap hum the tune to metronome, getting the timing right, then add saxophone.

CaSLM Insurance, Assurance and Protection policy?

How about a metronome, its cheaper than a drummer, and you can hurl abuse at it when it doesn't keep in time

Chris

I've never found any problems hurling abuse at drummers.

I've never found any problems hurling abuse at drummers.
50/50 on that- half of them seem too stoned to notice but Fat45's resisdent tub thumper's decidedly feisty!

I do have a metronome app for my iPad

Check out iReal b for the iPad. If you get this app there are thousands of free backing tracks you can download and use.

Saxophone Haynes manual is a good purchase if you plan to keep your Sax well maintained.

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned a good reed holder and replacement cork kit.

Check out iReal b for the iPad. If you get this app there are thousands of free backing tracks you can download and use.

Saxophone Haynes manual is a good purchase if you plan to keep your Sax well maintained.

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned a good reed holder and replacement cork kit.

i checked it out it looks great. Might make that and a neck strap with a metal snap hook my paycheck purchase. I would rather not see for myself that plastic hooks are unreliable.

The ATG reed finishing system makes life very easy.

John :):);}

Back
Top Bottom