supportTutorialsCDsPPT mouthpieces

worried about teeth:-(

ArtyLady

Hi all,

This is embarassing but I'm really worried!

Im planning to take grade 5 jazz. I noticed my front teeth were hurting a bit and felt very slightly loose and of course panicked and set off to see my dentist.

He said that because my front teeth are set back a little too far than they should be they are sitting at right angles to the mouthpiece and consequently taking more pressure directly upwards into the tooth - he also said they are very slightly loose but have always been like that.

I asked if they were going to fall out and he said no, but I'm now having nightmares that they will - if they do and I have to have dentures :shocked: will I still be able to play? I won't be able to afford what he quoted for implanted teeth! :(

I'm now completely obsessed with my teeth on the mouthpiece whenever I play - where I used to just get on and play and enjoy it's now ruining my concentration :(

by the way I don't care about being a toothless hag :)))- Im more worried about whether I'll still be able to play :confused:

Last edited:

thehunt

You could always play Gumball Rally, or Fangs aint wot they used to be !! :)))
Why dont you increase the MP rubbers, might take a bit of strain off your chops.

OP
ArtyLady

ArtyLady

You could always play Gumball Rally, or Fangs aint wot they used to be !! :)))
Why dont you increase the MP rubbers, might take a bit of strain off your chops.
Don't!! It's not funny :))) I could take up gurning I suppose >:) :)))

That's a good idea - and I had thought about doing that anyway - I suppose if the surface has more give then the teeth will too - a bit like suspension ;}

TomMapfumo

Sounds quite a worry for you. It might be a help to make sure that you use sufficient cushioning as suggested earlier. I am vaguely aware of stuff available when people use braces and play sax etc., so itmight be worth doing an online search to look further into the matter.

Hope the grade 5 goes well - what pieces are you doing? (Mine were 5 Spot, Nutty, and Entering - ABRSM) At least I am learning Bass Guitar in case anything happens orally/dentally;}

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

JasonC

As it happens I've been getting a similar problem lately, although instead of hurting they are becoming sensitive to the vibrations on certain notes!

This is also making me hold back a little when I play as I'm anticipating the sensitivity. I have been practising a lot more lately so I'm putting it down to that and I hope it stops by itself, I have got an appointment at the dentist though soon so I'll mention it, unless it gets worse of course, then I'll be up there like a shot!

I've also got a huge blister on my right thumb joint which just wont go away, so I'm trying to sort some type of padding out for the thumb rest to see if it helps, the only other way is to let it heal but that could take weeks!

I hope your problem disappears soon like I hope mine does!

Luluna

Señora
Subscriber
I noticed a HUGE difference using the adhesive cushions that are sold for mouthpieces. Have you tried them? It reduces the stress on your teeth and embouchure significantly. I was having a similar problem, until I started using them. It's worth a try :)

OP
ArtyLady

ArtyLady

Sounds quite a worry for you. It might be a help to make sure that you use sufficient cushioning as suggested earlier. I am vaguely aware of stuff available when people use braces and play sax etc., so itmight be worth doing an online search to look further into the matter.

Hope the grade 5 goes well - what pieces are you doing? (Mine were 5 Spot, Nutty, and Entering - ABRSM) At least I am learning Bass Guitar in case anything happens orally/dentally;}

Kind regards
Tom:cool:
I'ts become an obssession! - stupid really because the dentist said they would be fine :shocked:

Yes I've just put a thin patch over a thick one - it's all I've got here until I get some more thick ones.

I'm doind 5 Spot, Gotcha and What is this thing called Love:) Not for a while yet - gonna wait until I feel really confident. I also play piano and flute so am frantically brushing up my keyboard skills in case the worst happens :(

OP
ArtyLady

ArtyLady

As it happens I've been getting a similar problem lately, although instead of hurting they are becoming sensitive to the vibrations on certain notes!

This is also making me hold back a little when I play as I'm anticipating the sensitivity. I have been practising a lot more lately so I'm putting it down to that and I hope it stops by itself, I have got an appointment at the dentist though soon so I'll mention it, unless it gets worse of course, then I'll be up there like a shot!

I've also got a huge blister on my right thumb joint which just wont go away, so I'm trying to sort some type of padding out for the thumb rest to see if it helps, the only other way is to let it heal but that could take weeks!

I hope your problem disappears soon like I hope mine does!
Horrid isn't it - they don't hurt anymore but they just feel loose and I can't concentrate like you say you hold back. The problem with mine is because my teeth are not in the right position - as a result of an over zealous orthodontist 35 years ago I went from an overbite to an "underbite" :( )

I noticed a HUGE difference using the adhesive cushions that are sold for mouthpieces. Have you tried them? It reduces the stress on your teeth and embouchure significantly. I was having a similar problem, until I started using them. It's worth a try :)
Hi, yes I've always used one thick black one - but have just added a thin one - feels better already - will replace that with a second thick one when I get some more. Did your teeth ever feel slightly loose though and are they in a good position? I think that worries me more when they were painful - I can cope with that - I've had two babies ;}

I just wish I could take the dentist's word that they aren't gonna fall out! :shocked:

old git

Tremendous Bore
Don't worry, I felt my front teeth loosen when I started to play trombone. Still got them over fifty years later. No, not in a drawer but naturally in my gums.They did firm up again, so soon you'll be laughing about this. Ever thought about a clarinet or double lip bite embouchure?

OP
ArtyLady

ArtyLady

If it gets worse, there's always the double lip embouchure.

Don't worry, I felt my front teeth loosen when I started to play trombone. Still got them over fifty years later. No, not in a drawer but naturally in my gums.They did firm up again, so soon you'll be laughing about this. Ever thought about a clarinet or double lip bite embouchure?
I barely use my bottom lip so can't imagine such a drastic change! suppose I'll have to if it comes to it. :shocked:

berniesax

what about a gum shield ! the ones that boxers use ? and no ! i,m not joking. might be my eureka moment
all the best
bernie

jonf

Believe me, ArtyLady, I know how you feel, and then some. I have actually lost a total of seven front teeth, due to the ongoing effects of a cycling accident the best part of thirty years ago. At one point I was really depressed about the thought that I might not be able to continue playing the sax. However, even in my case, in which the worst did happen (as an adult there are fewer sensations weirder than one of your teeth just dropping out) I was still able to continue playing. I got a very high quality denture made up for the top teeth, made out of a cobalt chromium alloy, which holds very tight and doesn't get in the way of playing. Although it was a bit pricy, it was less than the third of the cost of a single tooth implant. Bottom denture doesn't matter, it's a cheapo NHS job.

Obviously you want to avoid getting into the same position as me. The risk of loose teeth is that around the loose tooth you get what's called 'pocketing' where there is a gap around the root of the tooth, which lets bacteria build up. Normal brushing will not solve this, so for as long as your teeth are loose, you need to be very careful. If you're not, your teeth really can fall out. If you are, they'll probably be OK. Interdental toothbrushes are a big help - you can get them from any decent supermarket these days. An anti-bacterial mouthwash such as Corsodyl also helps.

What is also really important is trusting your dentist. I have always had a real problem with dentists, and it sounds as if you don't really trust yours. When I changed dentist a few years ago, I got much, much more confident with the new one, which made me feel a lot better about things. If you explain a bit unsure about what your dentist is telling you, explain your reservations. If you're still not comfortable or trusting, he or she is probably not the dentist for you.

Oh, and you shouldn't think of it as being embarrassing. It's just one of those things that happens to some people. And if anyone tells you it's your own fault and that you can't have looked after your teeth, my advice is to tell them to **** off!>:)

OP
ArtyLady

ArtyLady

Believe me, ArtyLady, I know how you feel, and then some. I have actually lost a total of seven front teeth, due to the ongoing effects of a cycling accident the best part of thirty years ago. At one point I was really depressed about the thought that I might not be able to continue playing the sax. However, even in my case, in which the worst did happen (as an adult there are fewer sensations weirder than one of your teeth just dropping out) I was still able to continue playing. I got a very high quality denture made up for the top teeth, made out of a cobalt chromium alloy, which holds very tight and doesn't get in the way of playing. Although it was a bit pricy, it was less than the third of the cost of a single tooth implant. Bottom denture doesn't matter, it's a cheapo NHS job.

Obviously you want to avoid getting into the same position as me. The risk of loose teeth is that around the loose tooth you get what's called 'pocketing' where there is a gap around the root of the tooth, which lets bacteria build up. Normal brushing will not solve this, so for as long as your teeth are loose, you need to be very careful. If you're not, your teeth really can fall out. If you are, they'll probably be OK. Interdental toothbrushes are a big help - you can get them from any decent supermarket these days. An anti-bacterial mouthwash such as Corsodyl also helps.

What is also really important is trusting your dentist. I have always had a real problem with dentists, and it sounds as if you don't really trust yours. When I changed dentist a few years ago, I got much, much more confident with the new one, which made me feel a lot better about things. If you explain a bit unsure about what your dentist is telling you, explain your reservations. If you're still not comfortable or trusting, he or she is probably not the dentist for you.

Oh, and you shouldn't think of it as being embarrassing. It's just one of those things that happens to some people. And if anyone tells you it's your own fault and that you can't have looked after your teeth, my advice is to tell them to **** off!>:)
Hi Jon, thanks for that - at least I know there is hope if the worst happens that was what I was trying to find out :)

About 10 years ago I got a real telling off from the dentist because all my teeth were a little bit loose as I hadn't been cleaning them properly - so I went out and bought an electric toothbrush and some floss and that sorted the problem. Since then I've been aware that the front ones have always felt slightly wobbly (not visible I just feel it) but not really given it any thought until one started to hurt. Anyway the dentist said they are only very slightly loose, nevertheless I must keep them as clean as poss to prevent them getting worse (I've been flossing again for several weeks too!) but he said that even if I play they should not fall out so I should just listen to him and stop worrying I suppose! :)

phooesnax

My guess is that you can exert quite a bit of pressure but to belay your fears...best to consult a dentist. Braces loosen teeth temporarily but without long term issues.

I am also thinking your body will adapt t the extra work in the tooth roots...

How about a mouth guard just on the top teeth?

Altolady

I had the same problem and my dentist very 'unhelpfully' told me to stop playing and take up guitar!! My problem was aching teeth and after staying off the sax for a couple of weeks, they were fine. The problem coincided with sinus trouble that I had at the same time, so I just lay off playing if I'm being troubled by sinuses. Touch wood, it works for me, but I know that horrid feeling of keep sticking your tongue on your teeth to ckeck if they're loose and of course, they always feel loose to you, but it'll just be the natural movement that everyone has.

AlistairD

I've not had this problem but do have a suggestion....

The material of the mouthpiece might make a big difference. The worst I have found for vibration is a Crystal Pomarico which was impossible to play without a think rubber patch. Next in line is metal, then HR and finally wood. I have taken to wooden mouthpieces (not because of the vibrations) because I like the sound and size of the ones I've got, but it might we worth trying as they are softer than the other materials. I still use a patch but this is to protect the wood and not my teeth!!

OP
ArtyLady

ArtyLady

My guess is that you can exert quite a bit of pressure but to belay your fears...best to consult a dentist. Braces loosen teeth temporarily but without long term issues.

I am also thinking your body will adapt t the extra work in the tooth roots...

How about a mouth guard just on the top teeth?
I have been to the Dentist - he says the two front teeth are very slightly loose but I don't have to stop playing and they aren't about to fall out. I'm just so obsessed and paranoid about them!

I hope you are right - thinking about it started shortly after I had had an ulcer on the left which I think made me compensate onto the right front tooth which is the one which is sore - that would make sense I suppose.

Would I actually be able to form an embouchure with a mouth guard in? do you know where would I get one from?

I had the same problem and my dentist very 'unhelpfully' told me to stop playing and take up guitar!! My problem was aching teeth and after staying off the sax for a couple of weeks, they were fine. The problem coincided with sinus trouble that I had at the same time, so I just lay off playing if I'm being troubled by sinuses. Touch wood, it works for me, but I know that horrid feeling of keep sticking your tongue on your teeth to ckeck if they're loose and of course, they always feel loose to you, but it'll just be the natural movement that everyone has.
I would have been mortified if he'd told me to stop playing! :shocked: fortunately he didn't though :welldone

I've not had this problem but do have a suggestion....

The material of the mouthpiece might make a big difference. The worst I have found for vibration is a Crystal Pomarico which was impossible to play without a think rubber patch. Next in line is metal, then HR and finally wood. I have taken to wooden mouthpieces (not because of the vibrations) because I like the sound and size of the ones I've got, but it might we worth trying as they are softer than the other materials. I still use a patch but this is to protect the wood and not my teeth!!
I have a yamaha plastic mouthpiece - as I say I've not had a problem for 2 years up until i started playing a little more often and ulcer incident may have contributed.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
Don't worry, I think a 90 degree angle is best for teeth/mouthpiece. My teeth sometimes get a bit loose, then they get tight again.

But as you are worried, have you looked into dental insurance, kind of spreads the cost out and should cover any big operations. As your dentist says there is no issue, he should have no problems getting you on the lowest rate of insurance.

Top Bottom