support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Working out the rhythm and timing ofTake 5

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Locality
manchester
I've had the dots for Take 5 "Sax-solo's .com"for quite some time, ie yrs and after not being able to get anywhere near to it,due to its intricacies at first I have managed to get the first few bars sorted but when it goes to the C E C and on I can't get the rhythm at all, I know what it is but can't get it on the sax ie do boop be doo doo be doo be doo be do boop be doo doo be doo be do boop be doo doo be doo be doo but I am finding it difficult to make it sound that way on the sax any body got any hints so I can move on and I really want to master this ......John

http://youtu.be/EqB4Hh2H_so
Video by craisydaisydoo aka Matthew Stone with tips about half way through. Hope it helps :)

Thanks Sue I have seen that some time ago and then stumbled on it again recently in fact it is part of the reason I'm trying to really get stuck in to it this time I love it and would love to be able to play a standard like that well. But this section has become a stumbling block for me and I can't move on past it, it's funny once it's clicked it's all right I was hoping maybe some one can give me a clue, I know slowing it right down is a way to go and that's what Mathew says,seems he may of had problems with the timing too ..John

Rather than give a detailed lesson on counting syncopated rhythms, I would encourage you to listen to the Paul Desmond recording over and over vocalizing the rhythms of the melody. I am assuming you are hung up on the "bridge" of the tune.

This is the way I would vocalize it:

| du dot - du dot - du dah du dah | du dot - du dot - du dah du dah | du dot - du dot - du dah du dah |
| du dah du dah doo - du dah du dah | du dot - du dot - du dah du dah | du dot - du dot - du dah du dah |
| du dot du dot - du dah du dah | doo

The old axiom applies: "If you can say it, you can play it". Get the rhythm in your head by repeated listening. Say the syllables rhythmically as you listen to the song. It is the tongue that actually creates the rhythms when we play a song that is not slurred so saying the rhythm is training the tongue to tongue the rhythm when playing the sax. A tool I use a lot to transcribe and practice along with recordings is The Amazing Slow Downer. It costs about $50 U.S. but it does a great job changing tempo without affecting the quality or pitch.

You can't play take five?....A simple piece like that.....

Seriously though...It's a hard piece. Play along with the record and forget the dots. I can't play it sat down, I need to move to keep the beat. Trying to be Paul Desmond will drive you insane. He makes it sound so easy. Learn the theme then do your own thing.

There's an ABRSM free app called speed shifter that will slow down an mp3 and keep the pitch.

Rather than give a detailed lesson on counting syncopated rhythms, I would encourage you to listen to the Paul Desmond recording over and over vocalizing the rhythms of the melody. I am assuming you are hung up on the "bridge" of the tune.

This is the way I would vocalize it:

| du dot - du dot - du dah du dah | du dot - du dot - du dah du dah | du dot - du dot - du dah du dah |
| du dah du dah doo - du dah du dah | du dot - du dot - du dah du dah | du dot - du dot - du dah du dah |
| du dot du dot - du dah du dah | doo

The old axiom applies: "If you can say it, you can play it". Get the rhythm in your head by repeated listening. Say the syllables rhythmically as you listen to the song. It is the tongue that actually creates the rhythms when we play a song that is not slurred so saying the rhythm is training the tongue to tongue the rhythm when playing the sax. A tool I use a lot to transcribe and practice along with recordings is The Amazing Slow Downer. It costs about $50 U.S. but it does a great job changing tempo without affecting the quality or pitch.

Thanks John I'm tending to go down the slow it right down route then speed it up, I've already done the lots of listening but this section has got me stumped but maybe it's just perseverance that's required will have a look at the link you have supplied ....ta .....John

You can't play take five?....A simple piece like that.....

Seriously though...It's a hard piece. Play along with the record and forget the dots. I can't play it sat down, I need to move to keep the beat. Trying to be Paul Desmond will drive you insane. He makes it sound so easy. Learn the theme then do your own thing.

There's an ABRSM free app called speed shifter that will slow down an mp3 and keep the pitch.

HEH HEH I'm really better off learning the dots because doing my own thing is even worse.....John

You can always use BiaB John, it will slow it down, loop a section, transpose it.
Show you the melody being played or bar being played. Then record you playing
version for us all to listen to.

Chris..

You can always use BiaB John, it will slow it down, loop a section, transpose it.
Show you the melody being played or bar being played. Then record you playing
version for us all to listen to.

Chris..

You know my computer skill level,to get that to work is a bit like me building a rocket ship where someone has given me all the bits but they're in a big pile on the floor and no instructions

Please forgive me if I change the subject for a moment. Take 5

Give a listen to the rhythm of the piano "vamp" before the sax comes in. That is the syncopation that is used on the bridge in the melody.

I've moved the child prodigy posts to a separate thread in the breakfast room. Please keep this on track, thanks.

Does it help to think first about the underlying rhythm, five beats to the bar and bang out the fouth

one two three FOUR five, one two three FOUR five

?

Does it help to think first about the underlying rhythm, five beats to the bar and bang out the fouth

one two three FOUR five, one two three FOUR five

?

For me it's one of those time signatures that you feel rather than count. Like playing claves to a bossa beat.

America. From West Side Story is another one. I would never think of counting.
It's still 4/4 with triplets and triplet crotchets

I recorded Take Five recently, mainly because I was curious how it would sound on tenor. I found thinking 123.12 ok for the tune but when I tried an impro I needed to just feel the 5/4 time signature. Because thinking 123.12 I was always putting too much emphasis on the 12 so sounded a bit mechanical. I knew when I was feeling the 5/4 time when I always knew when it was 123 and not 12.

Please forgive me if I change the subject for a moment. Take 5

Give a listen to the rhythm of the piano "vamp" before the sax comes in. That is the syncopation that is used on the bridge in the melody.

I see what you mean but to me the rhythms are slightly different but I'm probably wrong

The piano goes do do de-do do do ...do do de-do do do

But the sax goes do boop de-do do do.....John

At this point I have to say that I have spent very little time listening to all the Miriad other work by Paul Desmond to my shame and am know listening to some on Spotify at this moment and it's just fabulous .....John

At this point I have to say that I have spent very little time listening to all the Miriad other work by Paul Desmond to my shame and am know listening to some on Spotify at this moment and it's just fabulous .....John

Ouch! I can't get my head around the first slurred part- got the rest, running them all in together seems to be a problem for some reason, I have managed to do it slowly, but can't seem to get it at speed, I have to agree with you, it is not easy at all!