All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Worcestershire late starting newbie saying hello

Profusia

Proud owner of a late 20's King tenor bought in my early 20's (because it seemed such a cool thing to own), I've now finally some 30+ years later decided its time to do it justice and actually learn to play it. Hoping to find like-minded souls, advice and inspiration here at the Cafe. Hello to all.

Thomas

----------------------------------------------
In our mid-life crisis we search for younger conquests to make us feel young again. Finally facing reality, in our late life crisis we turn to the sax, to at least continue to feel hip.

Pyrografix

Senile Member
Hi Thomas,

Plenty of inspiration, advice and encouragement available from all corners of the world here - some to be taken seriously, but not all!

Cheers,

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Wotcha! Where abouts in Worcestershire are you from? My family live just outside Malvern...

MellowD

Lost In Theory
Welcome to the cafe and you already have my admiration for hanging onto/covetting this instrument for so long to still have it around at the right time for you.

Great advice, fun and jibing around here. I've only been here a month myself, and it's where I spend most of my java time picking up on real stuff you won't get in the books.

Mel

navarro

Hi Thomas and welcome. A veritable Aladdin`s cave of advice and goodwill here. And a little `sauce.`

Still a newbie myself. but the best thing I ever did in joining. Got me over my trauma of being booed off the stage at the Latvian Young Offenders Institute. (Riga branch.) during my last unsuccessful Eastern European tour. (Stand up Comic.) failed.

Here`s a taster. How much does a Greek urn.? Answer: About two and a half `Merkels` a week.` Still don`t understand why I failed. Best regards, A laugh a year. N.

Profusia

THANK YOU everyone. Re: Worcestershire late starting newbie saying hello

Many thanks to everyone for the kind words of welcome! :) Forgive me not sending individual "thanks" to everyone in turn.

Jules: Sadly I'm the other side of Worcestershire to Malvern (Redditch end) but do walk the Malvern hills frequently and love them as quite into hill walking.

Mel: I feel very bad for not making the effort 30 years ago. The horn came with what I have now learned is a "pro" mouthpiece and am advised would be near impossible for a newbie to learn on. Taking it into a shop recently and trying a "beginner's" mouthpiece was an absolute revelation and upped my ability three-fold instantaneously. It also has some tone issues (a very fluffy middle D that's easily missed, and a sticky octave pad) and is now in the repair shop for a service. Hoping to get it back tomorrow and can't wait. Actually feel like a part of me is missing!

Navarro: That's worse than Gatis Kandis! ;}

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Re: THANK YOU everyone. Re: Worcestershire late starting newbie saying hello

Welcome, Thomas, to the cafe.
Lots of useful info here, and a lot of fun.
If you're ever down this way, you're welcome to appreciate some of the bands I play in!
or if you fancy joining a community band and are up for the journey, we are very welcoming :D :)))
www.singlereedsmalvern.org.uk

Profusia

Hi Mandy,

Many thanks indeed, especially for your kind invitations.

I'd LOVE to join your band, and the journey would certainly be no object. However noting your minimum grade 4 requirement my current ability most definitely would be! I played in brass bands in my teens (neither trumpet nor trombone sorry) so can sight read (although extremely rusty) but only started on the sax a few weeks ago! I'm managing typically a couple of hours a day so am progressing nicely but I gather its expected to take about a year per Grade, in which case see you in about 3 years! :(

I wasn't planning to take exams but do you think this is useful in judging ability to be able to play with other people? I am extremely keen to play in some kind of band as soloing in the kitchen in getting somewhat lonely! :w00t:

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Hi Mandy,

Many thanks indeed, especially for your kind invitations.

I'd LOVE to join your band, and the journey would certainly be no object. However noting your minimum grade 4 requirement my current ability most definitely would be! I played in brass bands in my teens (neither trumpet nor trombone sorry) so can sight read (although extremely rusty) but only started on the sax a few weeks ago! I'm managing typically a couple of hours a day so am progressing nicely but I gather its expected to take about a year per Grade, in which case see you in about 3 years! :(

I wasn't planning to take exams but do you think this is useful in judging ability to be able to play with other people? I am extremely keen to play in some kind of band as soloing in the kitchen in getting somewhat lonely! :w00t:
A 'year per grade' is a bit of an old chestnut.

It depends.... the more advanced grades - probably. however, if you are already an experienced musician, can already read music, can practice as regularly as you indicate, you will probably make quicker progress initially.

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Our "grade 4" requirement isn't set in stone. Some of our players have never taken an exam; but in order for you to be able to read the music and play along with the band, without feeling woefully left behind (or pulling the band down) it's a guideline about your ability to play the instrument.

I started playing alto just under 4 years ago, and joined the band after about a year. My teacher is the leader and conductor of the band and she kept pushing me to join until I yielded!

And I take grade 7 in 4 weeks time! As tenorviol says, if you've played instruments before, the "one grade per year" isn't really valid -I did grade 4 then grade 6!

Maybe in ayear's time we will have some alto vacancies too, we currently have 6 altos, but one is now 18 and will be off to Uni next year :w00t:

Profusia

Ooh more thanks for more welcomes :)

I haven't got the hang of this online group chatting yet.

tenorviol : thanks for the view - my 1 yr per grade was slightly tongue in cheek as I am hoping to progress a little faster than that (without planning to actually take any exams) although I'm already finding harder to sense my progress.

Mandy: I do have an alto but much prefer the tenor. Maybe you'll persuade me to buy a bari ;}

I'm really enjoy reading some of the old forum chats on here and picking up invaluable tidbits. I'm pretty much sold on getting a couple of the mouthpieces that have been reviewed. Speaking of which, I'd be intrigued to learn if anyone knows Berg Larsen mouthpieces and can offer a view on the old one that came with my horn. It seems to have the markings...

^
sms

...on it (as best as I can see). Anyone come across such a beast and have an opinion on it? I guess I'm asking this on the wrong forum page - hummmm...

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Speaking of which, I'd be intrigued to learn if anyone knows Berg Larsen mouthpieces and can offer a view on the old one that came with my horn. It seems to have the markings...

^
sms

...on it (as best as I can see). Anyone come across such a beast and have an opinion on it? I guess I'm asking this on the wrong forum page - hummmm...
Can't remember all the markings, but 110 is the tip opening in thousandths of an inch (biggish). 1 is chamber size (medium). There are othe threads here giving the information. No time to search now, sorry.

Don't sell. Play or keep for later. Use a soft reed. Is the signature at an angle?

Profusia

Kev,

Many thanks for the reply.

I think I'd say the signature is at a slight angle, but only slight. At work now and not got the piece in front of me. Realising that I should ask the question I put up a new thread in beginners' questions last night and got a good answer from Rhys (rhysonsax). Definitely not selling, and looking forward to trying it again when I get my tenor back from its service later today.

Thanks again,

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
try taking a look at the photos here, first link may take ages to come down:

http://www.mouthpiecemuseum.com/MouthpieceMuseum/BergLarsen.html
KNOWLEDGE - Mouthpiece Museum - Theo Wanne

Although there were many tenor mouthpiece makers, Berg Larsen and Otto Link were probably the biggest names. Some of these old mouthpieces are worth ridiculous amounts of money... And some of the 'dealers' on ebay in the US try to push the prices even higher.

Whatever you do, don't try and clean it with hot or too warm water. Stick to cold and a drop of washing up liquid. Otherwise you'll have a horrid greeny brown mess to deal with that's also probably rathery smelly and foul tasting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom