support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Wooden key touches?

DavidUK

Café Supporter
I wondered about abalone key touches for my Grassi tenor, but I also have some wood knocking about from a couple of rifle projects. There's some 30 year old English walnut I used to make a stock for my Steyr, nice grain...

1.JPG

7.JPG

I could turn up a small amount into a spindle, then size the diameter and cut slices to be polished and finished for each size of key touch.

I'd have thought polished walnut would be quite tactile, similar to the grippiness of MOP. What does anyone else think? Has it been tried? Would it look naff!?

Not desperate to do this, just my mind wandering off again....

David, The Rifle stock looks like its an 'oiled finish', that would look nice, also doesn't the R&C 'Two Voices' saxophones sport oiled key touches?
Yes, I use CCL Gunstock Condition Oil after finishing the wood with 1500 grade wet'n'dry used dry. I'd have the same finish on key touches as it gives a slightly grippy finish, very similar to MOP.

I like the sound of wooden key touches, Grenadilla or light ash on Silver horns .. I liked that Slovenian wooden straight sop , looked like a big rosewood clarinet, shame the price made an Andy Sheppard tenor seem bargain basement.

What this has to do with Vintage open reel tape machines must be a mystery to all but OG

Whether or not I can justify the purchase to myself as improving tone, there's at least one of those in my future; I think they're beautiful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whether or not I can justify the purchase to myself as improving tone, there's at least one of those in my future; I think they're beautiful.
I purchased Parachos neck from George at the MusikMess 5 years ago - He demonstrated their strength and resilience by throwing the one I had chosen from a group of 12, onto the carpet !
Nice crooks.

I like the sound of wooden key touches, Grenadilla or light ash on Silver horns .. I liked that Slovenian wooden straight sop , looked like a big rosewood clarinet, shame the price made an Andy Sheppard tenor seem bargain basement.

So here we go again - wooden key touches improve you sound
:rofl:

Seriously, look for a taragato. Basically a wooden sop. Interesting sound.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom