support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Clarinets Wobbly clarinet

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Café Supporter
I wonder if the repair people among you could answer a question for me - should the middle joint of my clarinet wobble?

(The joint that joins the 2 long body sections together)

I have a Buffet Crampon E11, and I’ve notice that I can feel it move when I play. On further investigation, it is the middle joint that is moving - I can hold one part and wobble the other part against it.
Does it need a new cork in the joint, or is this normal??

Maybe I should have it serviced?

I’ve never been a frequent clarinet player, but I joined a quartet about 3 months ago so it’s getting much more playing than it did.

Thanks.

If the tenon is really worn down a new cork will help but will not make the joint completely sound. There a two ways to fix it if this is the case. 1) Cut off the tenon and drill a hole to accept a replacement tenon made on a lathe that will be glued in, or 2) Build up the material on both sides of the cork track and then turn the material down on a lathe to about .001" less than the interior diameter of the receiver. I have done a few of these with grenadilla dust and super glue, and a few with carbon fiber thread. It is not a difficult repair, but it takes a bit of time to get it right.

Hmm,

I wouldn’t have thought the clarinet was very old. I’ve had it 2-3 years, but it was an eBay purchase, although I’m pretty sure the write up implied it hadnt been used much.

Anyway, probably best if I take it to the repair guy.
I haven’t had it serviced either, other than it originally needed the cork, that lines the linkage across the join, replacing

Is there a list of serial numbers & dates for Buffet somewhere, so I can check it’s age??

Interesting, I’ve just had a quick search of ‘tinternet for a list of serial number (which I haven’t yet found!) but I have established that my clarinet is embossed “made in France” which may give it a manufacturing window of 2008-2010 (approx)

Just a thought, I see its a wooden clarinet and wonder if its just dried out a bit,
With my daughters clarinet we would put it to bed in its case with orange peel and change it weekly or thereabouts, other wise the reinforcing rings would come loose, the water from the peel would be absorbed into the clarinet. From what i understand this is a common problem with wooden clarinets not being played enough to keep them sufficiently wet.
It certainly wouldn't do any harm to give it a try

Just a thought, I see its a wooden clarinet and wonder if its just dried out a bit,
With my daughters clarinet we would put it to bed in its case with orange peel and change it weekly or thereabouts, other wise the reinforcing rings would come loose, the water from the peel would be absorbed into the clarinet. From what i understand this is a common problem with wooden clarinets not being played enough to keep them sufficiently wet.
It certainly wouldn't do any harm to give it a try

It shouldn't be an issue. If the joints are that noticeably affected by moisture then something's very amiss.
In the case of loose tenon rings it's usually down to them being poorly fitted in the first place - or suffering a one-time trauma that loosens their grip. Letting the clarinet get too cold is a common cause.