support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories Wireless Transmitter Bracket

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
A few months ago I changed the wireless mic on my tenor over to a Shure system, which has worked perfectly for every single show I've done since.

Like so many other people, I used a cloth strap on the bell to secure the mic transmitter to the sax. While practising and in rehearsals this, too, has worked faultlessly. On stage, with all the dancing and jumping around I do, however, it's been problematic. Because the transmitter is on the left hand side of the horn, it means it's constantly rubbing or knocking my right leg. And that has led to the transmitter being slowly moved until it comes loose from the strapping. Even with constantly checking, it's a big problem - especially on really rocking gigs where you're completely in the zone.

The only solution I could think of was making a solid bracket for the other side of the sax - preferably one that didn't need removing every time the sax was put back in its case. Sadly I no longer have any sort of workshop these days so I needed something already half made and easy to modify.

Yesterday I found exactly what I was looking for.

Ikea make wall brackets to hang their cupboards on. These brackets also come with extension clips for connecting two brackets to each other. The metal isn't too thick or wide, and the clip points looked perfect for keeping a wireless transmitter secure from sideways movement. In fact, it looked like all you had to do was cut the bracket in half, drill one screw hole and you'd have a perfect transmitter bracket.

It turns out I was right. 😎

I'm going to add cloth to its surface to make it less likely to scratch anything, but other than that, it's ready to go.

Tools used were:
Angle grinder
Drill

01.jpg
02.jpg

Looks good.

You could even go a step further and replace the entire bell guard with a bracket making use of the original mounting points, however it'd be a lot more fabrication and you'd need to have a solution for the bumper felts to be integrated.

Perhaps you know someone with a 3D printer.

Yes it does look good. To go a step further though, as Greenstripe says, maybe the ideal solution is to design something yourself that can be 3D printed. Personally, I'd not want to remove the bell key guard. Even though it looks fairly compact, I wonder if you could go more compact - and can it sit a little lower so that the mic lead to the transmitter doesn't loop? Anything like that is a potential hazard so having that a little more taught would ease my mind further.

Perhaps you know someone with a 3D printer.

As it happens, I've got a couple of friends who are obsessed with making/printing stuff. I don't know anything about the process but what they make is pretty impressive.

I wasn't planning on going down that road, though. ;)

I wonder if you could go more compact - and can it sit a little lower so that the mic lead to the transmitter doesn't loop?

It can sit lower (level with the key guard is pretty simple (or lower with some more precise bending)). The mic cable is the standard Shure one, which you may know - the one with a cable that's something like half a metre long. As I haven't had it shortened, I wrap the cable around the rear of the transmitter (between the unit and the bracket). It seems to mean the cable can't get snagged on anything. I've only played one practise session with it this afternoon and nothing moved, got trapped or looked like it could snag anything, so I'm relatively confident it'll work without any problems.

Famous last words... :rofl:

Although looking at the pic above, I'll have to keep an eye on the antenna.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjIUir4o0K0

I have used this for many years on tenor, alto and bari with a lot of sax movement at times. It is secure and not going anywhere.
A smart solution. I wonder how Bill Mecca is dealing with the sender today? He is on a The Martin Tenor and the keyguard is different compared to the SDA he played back then. I'm not on FB anymore and I miss Bill's posts. A great man: Fine player, Rock & Rock Saxophone enthusiast ...... I like his attitude. Big inspiration for me.
Back to topic.

I wonder how Bill Mecca is dealing with the sender today?
Bill is doing a 1 man show and is using a stand mic these days for vocals. His wireless rig appears to be the newer style that does not require a body pack as shown in the above Youtube clip. His wireless mic is clipped onto the bell and has a small unit (in place of the large body pack) attached under the mic that sends the sax signal to his receiver.

I took a look at Bill Mecca's YT channel and it seems like he is playing a modern horn today? Now I see the one unit clip-on mic. Are these microphone common? I just have a JTS clip-on microphone (wire). I like SM 57 or 58.

Are these microphone common?
They are becoming more popular. I have seen more players using these "two in one" styles. It would sure make things easier. Just attach one unit to the bell.

My concern about that style is how they hold up if one is doing a lot of show work and fast horn movements. Will it stay secured on the bell with the additional weight?

I still play the older Shure wireless with the body pack attached to the low Bb key guard on alto and tenor as shown in Bill's video. I have never had an issue and the mic never moves. I use a stand mic (for working the mic) and wireless unit at every gig. The wireless is used for show work and getting on the dance floor
:clapping:

I did some mods for a client who'd had a transmitter mount 3D printed. Comes in two parts; the mount - which is fixed to the bell key guard, and the pack clip...onto which the transmitter is clipped. Both parts have a pair of neodymium magnets fitted, so the pack simply latches on to the mount....but can be easily and quickly removed to swap out the batteries.
My input was to make a couple of standoffs, because the mount part was being distorted when it was bolted to the guard. Had to offset the standoffs slightly to give clearance. Works very well.

transmitter clip 1.jpg

transmitter clip 2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom