support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Windband alto mouthpiece suggestions

sunsetandlabrea

Café Supporter
Hello,

I've got a D'addario Select Jazz at the moment, which I like I lot. It is the D5M, 1.86mm tip opening.

I'm in a windband, and in that circumstance I'd like to blend in more. Generally I think I'm a bit loud (although of course that is difficult to tell from where I'm sitting behind my saxophone), and possibly a bit brighter than I'd want to be.

I have a few of the Yamaha c range, (4c, 6c and 7c) which were given to me. I'm not very keen on them, in particular I find them resistant to blow through, whether that is the tip opening and /or some other feature on the mouthpiece I'm not sure. From what I've found on the web the 7C is 1.40mm.

I'm assuming the tip opening will have an effect on volume, but potentially also on note stability. I'm not generally using vibrato in the band, so more stability would be good. But I don't want to get another small tip opening, only to find this resistance again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Richard

When I first got the 4c, I was using 2 Royals, so pretty soft. I'm now using 2.5, although now with a legere signature.

The 7c isn't so bad, which makes me think the resistance is mostly just tip size.

Actually you are right, I got the Yamaha 4c out again, and it is fine. I’m not sure why I struggled last time, as you say maybe it was the reed. Or just me, I bought it not long after I started playing so maybe I was clamping it shut.

I really like the stability of intonation, so maybe I'll try this, although to my ears is sounds a bit brighter.

Thanks.

In my opinion, a Rousseau NC4 mouthpiece would be a good option for playing in a windband.
It is Rousseau’s “classical” model.
Secondhand ones come up fairly regularly if you keep an eye out.

Hello,

I've got a D'addario Select Jazz at the moment, which I like I lot. It is the D5M, 1.86mm tip opening.

I'm in a windband, and in that circumstance I'd like to blend in more. Generally I think I'm a bit loud (although of course that is difficult to tell from where I'm sitting behind my saxophone), and possibly a bit brighter than I'd want to be.

I have a few of the Yamaha c range, (4c, 6c and 7c) which were given to me. I'm not very keen on them, in particular I find them resistant to blow through, whether that is the tip opening and /or some other feature on the mouthpiece I'm not sure. From what I've found on the web the 7C is 1.40mm.

I'm assuming the tip opening will have an effect on volume, but potentially also on note stability. I'm not generally using vibrato in the band, so more stability would be good. But I don't want to get another small tip opening, only to find this resistance again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Richard
Yes, blending and uniform sound across the range is the ticket. Tons of ‘pieces around these days but you won’t go far wrong with Selmer and Vandoren. Maybe around an E tip on Selmer - and corresponding on V. Rousseau good too.
You shouldn’t have volume problems unless the conductor is tolerating fff too much.

Thanks everyone.

Regarding NC4 vs Selmer S80 vs Vandoren, I note that the Rousseau mouthpieces are generally cheaper in the US than the other two, $100 vs $140 ish at least on amazon.

In the UK they are roughly equal, Rousseau £140, Selmer £130.

Based on price, is one considered a better piece? Or roughly equivalent.

I'm not sure on the tip opening now to be honest. I don't have any local woodwind shops, and even if I did I'm not sure I could make a better decision on that.

The NC4 has a tip opening of roughly a c* in the selmer, and is the same as the Yamaha 4c which I have a new found respect for. The tuning seems easier, presumably because there is less of gap for me to wobble the reed around.

Any reason for this type of windband why I should consider a larger opening? I can't really experiment with different types of reeds, turns out I have an allergy to cane, so I'm playing legere signatures.

I can't comment on Rousseau's "New Classic" series, but I have played his 4R for many years, eventually changing to the 5R.

They're good pieces - I use the 3R as my workbench test piece on altos.

I tried one of the jazz tenor pieces a while back - wasn't impressed at all.

Thanks everyone.

Regarding NC4 vs Selmer S80 vs Vandoren, I note that the Rousseau mouthpieces are generally cheaper in the US than the other two, $100 vs $140 ish at least on amazon.

I'm not sure on the tip opening now to be honest. I don't have any local woodwind shops, and even if I did I'm not sure I could make a better decision on that.

The NC4 has a tip opening of roughly a c* in the selmer, and is the same as the Yamaha 4c which I have a new found respect for. The tuning seems easier, presumably because there is less of gap for me to wobble the reed around.

Any reason for this type of windband why I should consider a larger opening? I can't really experiment with different types of reeds, turns out I have an allergy to cane, so I'm playing legere signatures.
One thing is for sure with mouthpieces - price point is no measure of how it plays. And $150 these days is a steal. Just don’t go trying anything over $600, you might like it...

For the first time in over 25 years I'm depping in a wind band this afternoon on tenor. I can't remember what set up I used to play on but the choice today is between a PPT 9*, a Francois Louis T285 SP or an old Selmer Soloist E. My other tenor mpcs are all a bit noisy. I think it's going to be the FL.

FWIW, I played a Rousseau 4R on alto in a wind band for years (some time ago, mid 1980s, early '90s). It was excellent for that. Also used it for occasional trad jazz (but I was mostly playing clarinet for that) and it wasn't bad. Recently the rest of the rock band I play guitar in have been encouraging me to play some sax on stuff - and the 4R is a bit polite for rock n roll! (thinking of trying a Rico metallite 7 or something).

But for wind band and general use, it's really good.

I have played both, and I personally prefer the Rousseau NC4 - it seems to have a bit more body.
But that is my personal preference, I have only compared one example of each using my setup - you may differ.

They're good pieces - I use the 3R as my workbench test piece on altos.

I tried one of the jazz tenor pieces a while back - wasn't impressed at all.

I have played a Rousseau Studio Jazz 6 soprano the last 10 to 12 years - an excellent mouthpiece, I also own a JDX Jazz 8 alto piece - good mouthpiece, a Studio Jazz 4 tenor piece and that is a real dog - tried it on my Walstein back up tenor and my mid 1980s 62 Yamaha using various reeds and strengths and in the case of the Yamaha the standard 62 neck, Phil Barone and Peter Ponzol necks and it was still very frustrating to play. There was a thread a few years ago on Sax On The Web with various people saying the same thing - soprano, alto and baritone mouthpieces very good and the tenor pieces a bit of the "black sheep" of the family...shame really because the mouthpiece seems to be well made...

Greg S.

What kind of music will this wind band play?
If it's going to be more classical/ contemporary stuff, I'd consider Vandoren Optimum, Daddario Reserve, Selmer S80/S90/Soloist, Eugene Rousseau R or NCR.
Reed wise I would suggest Vandoren Traditional. I haven't had success with other reeds for classical music, but my peers can use Daddario reserves or Rico orange boxes with good results
I don't know enough to helpfully comment on jazz gear.

Back
Top Bottom