All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Why Subscribe? What else might we offer?

Why do you pay? (Anonymous poll)

• More Conversations (PMs) allowed

• Free backing tracks and arrangements

• Ability to change user title

• More gallery space &bigger pictures

• Supporting a good cause / Help pay for running costs

• Purple Name

• Other (discuss below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
We are doing this partly as a survey (answers are anonymous) and partly to do some research into what else you might be interested in getting as premium members. (that may become the new name for Upgraded or paying subscribers or whatever it is now)

So in addition to taking part in the poll, please suggest what else might be useful - all ideas are welcome. This is not just in the interest of getting more money, no no no, it might be that premium members get more say in the site, its structure and its policies.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Café Supporter
the reason I pay is to cover running costs.

An extra resource that would be nice would be a library of arrangements and scores.

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Café Supporter
This cafe and the Taming the Saxophone sites are truly very special. I've worked quite a while as a community developer/moderator and the cafe is is something that most developers/moderators just dream about becoming. It's a real, interactive, helpful and friendly community in which people at all proficiency levels actively participate. I've learned more in 6 months than in the previous 10 years! It's immediately obvious that it's not about making money.

So the 'extra privileges' are nice to have but the bottom line is that because both sites provide so much real value, subscribing - and thereby enabling the sites to continue and develop - is a no-brainer for me. I donate to Wikipedia because it's valuable and I want it to support it. The same applies to the cafe.

The sales pitch for subscriptions for me would be: 'if the cafe is valuable to you, please help us continue and develop by subscribing. And btw, you also get these cool extra privileges: ....'

Mike

Last edited:

Alice

Psychedelic
I agree with Mike :) I have learned a ton of useful information about the sax here in the community and everybody is so energetic and enthusiastic. The whole melting pot of various characters who all have something to say is wonderful to be amongst. I enjoy the forum therefore I also want to support it in any way I can. My tutor is very impressed with my tone and I can only attribute that to the fact that i've been using the Taming the Sax books and being here where I have found advice to go along with the saxophonists I was already listening to.
The extra privileges as a contributor are very welcome and enjoyable.

jbtsax

Café Supporter
I donate because I enjoy participating at Cafe Saxophone, and I want do my part to help it continue. I think encouraging everyone who feels the same to contribute their fair share or what they can from time to time is more effective than offering lots of "goodies".

Rob Pealing

sax in a kayak (apprentice sax tamer)
After reading the replies above the only thing I can add to all the above is that I appreciate the charity work that Pete does because my daughter is deputy head and head of art at a special needs school.
I like the idea of a library.

Sue

One prosecco, two prosecco, three prosecco - floor
Café Supporter
I donate because I think the cafe is a great resource with a really good and friendly vibe. It is my first 'go to' when I'm looking for anything sax related. Any goodies are a bonus but not necessary as an enticement for me to donate.

Thank you to all the mods and regular contributors :)

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Yes, a library would be great, but might be impossible to get licensing for. Currently the only arrangements we have are ones I have done of public domain (I hope) tunes. We would not even be able to claim fair use as people pay for access (notwithstanding the profit goes into charitable donations). Even transcriptions are sailing close to the wind, but I can risk those and assume they are covered under an MCPS limited licence I have.

zelda

On the border
I pay to support a good cause and overall, it's a really good site. Members are civil for the most part but will say what needs saying, imo. And then there's that peculiar sense of humour found here, lol.

I tend to buy playalongs/backing tracks and sheet music from time to time and they aren't cheap. If one had to purchase the dots and backing tracks for the SOTMs that have been offered for free here on the Café, I'm sure the cost would total more than my annual subscription. Just saying.

ChillyMike

I was more than happy to subscribe as it was blindingly obvious to me very early on that this was a sincere and honest forum. A very good cause, and I am glad I came across it early on in my Sax playing.

I'm happy to donate from time to time when I can as certain members have help me selflessly and won't take any payment for it.

I don't really need anything else to remain a subscriber to be honest just keep the forum going please :)

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
I donate primarily to support the site and if there's any left over, for the charitable funds

Better premium privileges?

A winning lottery number generator
A virtual stocks to lob cyber tomatoes at the member or moderati who makes blunder of the week (thanks to @Sue for your inspirational new avatar)
A recording contract

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
A winning lottery number generator
A virtual stocks to lob cyber tomatoes at the member or moderati who makes blunder of the week (thanks to @Sue for your inspirational new avatar)
A recording contract

No problem. I will apply for the stocks blunder of the week by banning Sue's Avatar :)

MLoosemore

Deluded Senior Member...
For me subscribing is a way of saying thank you. Not a plea for more goodies. However, I have benefited so much from the BoTM thread that a library of scores and matching backing tracks would I am sure be invaluable.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
This cafe and the Taming the Saxophone sites are truly very special

I agree with Mike :) I have learned a ton of useful information about the sax here in the community and everybody is so energetic and enthusiastic. The whole melting pot of various characters who all have something to say is wonderful to be amongst. I enjoy the forum therefore I also want to support it in any way I can

I donate because I enjoy participating at Cafe Saxophone, and I want do my part to help it continue. I think encouraging everyone who feels the same to contribute their fair share or what they can from time to time is more effective than offering lots of "goodies".

I appreciate the charity work that Pete does

I donate because I think the cafe is a great resource with a really good and friendly vibe

I pay to support a good cause and overall, it's a really good site

I was more than happy to subscribe as it was blindingly obvious to me very early on that this was a sincere and honest forum

I donate only to support a great forum that I have enjoyed being a member of for many years and don't expect anything in return

I donate primarily to support the site and if there's any left over, for the charitable funds

For me subscribing is a way of saying thank you.

My subscriptions have always been for the above reasons. It's a great site and I love that Pete does it all for the members and the good causes and was the main reason I got more involved in the Café.

If we run any threads to promote the café would any of you mind us quoting you publicly?

The sales pitch for subscriptions for me would be: 'if the cafe is valuable to you, please help us continue and develop by subscribing. And btw, you also get these cool extra privileges: ....'

I like this

Thank you all for your comments so far and Pete for always being prepared to listen to member's views:)

Jx

Staff online

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom