All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Why not print your own instrument!

Sweet Dreamer

Pretty cool.

If they are doing this today, imagine what they'll be doing 10 years from now, or in a century!

It'll be like those things on Star Trek. You just tell it what you want, wait a few seconds, open the door and pull out whatever it was you had asked for.

old git

Tremendous Bore
The problem is that some guys would be asking for bigger and better weapons rather than items that would improve humanity's lot.

Pete, this is not political, maybe philosophical?

Morgan Fry

This will change everything. Instead of shops stocking inventory, they stock the computer designs if the catalog, print the item, and ship (or you provide the file). There are companies doing this already. No more shipping stuff from China or wherever it can be made cheap, it can be made cheap anywhere. If the shop doesn't have enough capacity, they can print another printer. I don't know if it will ever be economical enough for the middle classes to all have one in the home like star trek, but it wouldn't surprise me.

It's very cool technology IMO. I just got in the post today my first two prototypes of mouthpieces that I had printed. Nowhere near the resolution needed for production of complex organic shapes like a mouthpiece (at least not cheap enough), but the level of the technology at the moment is perfect for prototyping.

Morgan Fry

The problem is that some guys would be asking for bigger and better weapons rather than items that would improve humanity's lot.

Pete, this is not political, maybe philosophical?
Meh, people will always make swords and ploughshares. But reducing the need for distant resources has to reduce motivation for conflict.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Meh, people will always make swords and ploughshares. But reducing the need for distant resources has to reduce motivation for conflict.
Or it creates pockets of wealth which has to be defended, which the poorer areas covet and fight for. 'Twas always so.

c9off

prototype mouthpiece

I just got in the post today my first two prototypes of mouthpieces that I had printed. Nowhere near the resolution needed for production of complex organic shapes like a mouthpiece (at least not cheap enough), but the level of the technology at the moment is perfect for prototyping.
Would be great if we could follow the progress & your comments of this direction in a seperate thread?

appreciated!

Lodger

Up to now I have only read of articles being made by this process in some form of plastic material. I think it will really take off when a metallic medium can be printed - maybe a paste loaded with metal particles which can subsequently be sintered. Perhaps someone is already doing it with ceramic material, but I haven't seen it yet. A fascinating concept.

Morgan Fry

Up to now I have only read of articles being made by this process in some form of plastic material. I think it will really take off when a metallic medium can be printed -
It can. Google DMLS, direct metal laser sintering. They lay down a layer of powdered metal, weld it together in that cross section of the part with a laser, lay down another layer of powder, weld that together with the 1st one with the laser, repeat. It works but it's not economical compared to conventional manufacturing for most things right now, the machines still cost like a half million Euro and take a long time to mke anything. That said, it will certainly get faster and cheaper.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom